Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

*** Official UNITED 93 Discussion Thread (PLEASE READ POST #29!)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
100 replies to this topic

#1 of 101 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 28 2006 - 12:28 AM

This film opens today and has generated some excellent reviews. My brother has seen it and he says it's one of the greatest, most powerful, tragic, heart wrenching film he never wants to see again.

I'll be seeing it this weekend and am trying to prepare myself.

Anyone else?
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#2 of 101 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,960 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 12:39 AM

I had thought no, but I feel compelled to see it. My father, who likes generic action and sci-fi pictures, feels obligated to go see it. That surprised me. I thought I might wait until DVD, but now don't think I should. I love movies, and this is a movie that should be seen.

That said, I am not looking forward to it. I DON'T think it's too soon. I DO completely trust the director and the studio to get it as right as possible. It doesn't affect my personal or political feelings either way. I just know how badly it's going to hurt. It's only supposed to be 90 minutes, but I know it'll be rather painful. The only relatable film is The Passion, which was a soul-draining and exhausting affair. But 9/11 is etched into my memories. I'm fairly laid back, but I couldn't get through the opening secion of the 9/11 Commission Report. I was bawling. So, I am sort of dreading seeing the film.

But I really think if the families can watch it, can relive it, who am I to not pay my money and see the film. That's what is driving me.

And it's UNITED 93. They changed the title, for the better in my opinion. It works on more levels.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 101 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 28 2006 - 12:47 AM

Could a MODERATOR please correct the title?

I agree Chuck that it's not too soon. My brother also compared it to TPOTC in terms of greatness and hard to watch at the same time.

It's gonna be rough.

#4 of 101 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,960 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 02:01 AM

Shoot, the mods are quick! Thanks. "Too soon" is relative. For many people it might be "too soon", and they should forego seeing it. Others probably could have seen this a few years ago. CHUD has had a lot of coverage on the film, Paul Greengrass, and some of the actors. Check it out for some interesting thoughts, especially from the director himself..

I do want to applaud the studio (Universal) for making the film. It could have been a lightning rod, and they have absolutely no marketing data to support it's financial prospects. It doesn't fit into any genres, and so they essentially went in blind to the business risks. While we can sniff at 10% of the profits going to the Flight 93 fund (still trying to raise money for the land in NC), that's a significant investment. So, a big thanks to Universal.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#5 of 101 Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

• 1,055 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 02:13 AM

I saw United 93 at a private screening and believe me, it is one of the most gripping and intense films I've ever seen, especially the last hour of the film. The attention to factual detail leaves almost nothing to be desired, to say the least.

This is the type of film that strongly deserves Oscar consideration next year, in my humble opinion. Posted Image
Raymond in Sacramento, CA USA

#6 of 101 Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 02:14 AM

I wasn't all that interested when I first heard of it a little while back, but the reviews seem to be extraordinarily good, so I'll probably go and see it.

#7 of 101 Nicholas Martin

Nicholas Martin

Screenwriter

• 2,683 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 02:47 AM

I honestly don't know - was the A&E version met with even half the apprehension, or is the fact that this is a theatrical release that makes all the difference? It's still the same subject matter, after all. One had TV ratings to gain, the other has box office receipts to gain. Both were 'approved', so what is the difference in terms of overall controversy?

I'm not saying 'what's the point', I'm asking questions - I only say that so there's no confusion between genuine interest and sarcasm...
especially when topics like this can be so easily misinterpreted in discussion.

#8 of 101 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:07 AM

Quote:
And it's UNITED 93. They changed the title, for the better in my opinion. It works on more levels.
what was the original title?

#9 of 101 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin
what was the original title?
Flight 93.

#10 of 101 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,358 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:23 AM

While I'm sure this movie is excellent and done only with respect to the subject matter, I can't imagine that many people wanting to go and see it. It may not be too soon for some people but it's definitely way too soon for other people.

Personally, I doubt that I'll ever see it because I don't want to make myself miserable by watching it. I know what happened that day and the sacrifice that was made and I don't need a movie to remind me of it.

#11 of 101 James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:26 AM

This was one of my most anticipated movies. I hope I won't leave disappointed.

#12 of 101 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC
Flight 93.
Oh. OK. I suppose that "United 93" does make a better title, though thinking about it too much reminds me that the terrorists targeted those two airlines for propagandistic reasons. Ahem...

I hear that the most "philanthropic" time to see this film is opening weekend. True?

#13 of 101 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:53 AM

My thoughts are nearly identical to Chuck's.

I've avoided 9/11 for almost 5 years now. A couple of weeks ago I watched the trailer and determined I shouldn't see this. Now I feel drawn to it. Maybe it's time to take a look. I don't need to see this movie to 'remember', but maybe I need it to move to a new place.

The wife doesn't want to see it. Hard to imagine watching this alone in the theater.

#14 of 101 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:54 AM

I had no interest in this movie, but Ebert's review changed my mind, I may just give it a chance.

--
H

#15 of 101 Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets

Screenwriter

• 2,371 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 04:15 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't know - was the A&E version met with even half the apprehension, or is the fact that this is a theatrical release that makes all the difference?

My guess is that the A&E version simply didn't catch much awareness from people because it was on a cable tv station. Theatrical movies are far more visible in terms of advertising.

I saw parts of the tv movie and that was hard enough, so no thank you to a theatrical version. It's still too soon for me.

#16 of 101 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,227 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 04:52 AM

I will see it...but on DVD in the privacy of my own home. Something that strikes this personally is an experience where I prefer to be alone. For those that can handle seeing it in a public forum I salute you.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#17 of 101 Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 05:24 AM

http://filmcritic196....nited_93_.html

#18 of 101 Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stainton
That guy needs to loosen his tinfoil cap. Is he really suggesting that United 93 didn't happen?
R.I.P. DVDSpot

#19 of 101 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,015 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 28 2006 - 05:41 AM

I read that "review" days ago and thought it was absurd. Pathetic.Posted Image

#20 of 101 Chris Stainton

Chris Stainton

Second Unit

• 285 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 05:44 AM

There is so much information out there. You just have to do some research. Trouble is most people do not want to look at it.

http://en.wikipedia.....ited_Flight_93

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow