What's new

What are these bugs? (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
When I walk outside onto the patio during the warm weather months, I can usually look down and see these yellowish bugs on my arms and on my clothes. They are tiny. One landed on my paper, and it was about the size of a period. And, I think they bite. What are they? Chiggers? I tried doing an image search on chiggers, but everything came up blown up like in a microscope. If they're chiggers or something else, is there something that could be put down on the grass to get rid of them?

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
If they're non-flying insects try some Ortho Home Defense Max to create a barrier around your house and patio. I was pretty skeptical that this stuff would work but the piles of dead ants that I find next to my patio show that it's still working two months after I sprayed. Of course if you have aerial pests then you're out of luck.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Chiggers are pretty small and you normally don't notice them until they start to itch. What you describe is different than my experience with chiggers.

Good Wiki info. I always thought they burrowed into the skin. We used to put amonioa on the wound with a q-tip because we thought it killed the chigger. They itch like hell too. I used to get them on my legs at the lake. They love tall grass. For the most part, keeping the lot mowed keeps them away.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

If what Jeff's saying is accurate, you're probably right that the color rules them out. These things sure don't seem as disgusting as how chiggers are described. They are more an annoyance. You look down, there are about five of them on your arms and shirt, you flick them off, and that's it. I haven't had any bug bites or anything from them. I guess I need to try to get a picture with a digital camera.

JoeyR

Second Unit
Real Name
Joey
Chiggers(red bugs down here) dont fly, if you are going into an area that you believe has redbugs(hiking, hunting in the woods) pull your socks over your pants leg and rub a light coat of vaseline above your ankle area and at the top of the sock and the vaseline will keep them from climbing on you and trap them.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I have a gnat problem myself. I used apple cider vinegar to kill them, but they keep coming back. Will Home Depot or Lowes have a good solution for them?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Death to all house Centapedes! I can't stand the sight of these hairy little bastards, and man can they RUN!

Too bad they're not fast enough to outrun my can of Raid which kills them in a matter of seconds. :D For some wierd reason they're legs fall off after they die. And don't even get me started on Waterbugs. :frowning: Just typing the word gives me the willies! :frowning::frowning:

Neal_C

Second Unit
I'll second the recommendation for Ortho Home Defense Max. Works very well, both indoor and outdoor.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I like house centipedes although they are disgusting to look at. But they have one huge advantage: they do get rid of cockroaches. :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't mind small Centapedes, but it's the big daddy's that ick me out. :frowning: I saw one one time that was so freakin' large that I could have sworn it was wearing size 8 and a half Nike's on all of it's feet!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks