Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

The Revolution has an OFFICAL name!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 OFFLINE   Richard Kim

Richard Kim

Producer

• 4,389 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 05:41 AM

It's called... the Nintendo Wii.

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

Here's Nintendo's explanation:

Quote:
Introducing... Wii.
As in "we."

While the code-name Revolution expressed our direction, Wii represents the answer. Wii will break down that wall that seperates videogame players from everybody else. Wii will put people more in touch with their games... and each other. But you're probably asking: What does the name mean?

Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.

Wow. It's a wierd name, to be sure. I liked the name Revolution. But I guess Wii symbolizes the radical new direction the big N is going with their new console.

#2 of 34 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 27 2006 - 05:48 AM

As nifty as the XBOX360 and the Playstation 3 seem to be, I have to admit I'm most excited to see what Nintendo does with this.

The marketing is working, as I'm even mor intrigued now!

#3 of 34 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 27 2006 - 12:02 PM

I think the Revolution/Wii is an interesting gamble by Nintendo. Rather than compete with the Xbox and Playstation 3 which are essentially graphical upgrades of the exisiting consoles, they seem to be trying to do something a little bit different and they should be applauded for it. I think if the price point is right, this could be a huge success - Nintendo supporters will buy it anyway but a lower price point could see a lot of Xbox/PS3 owners getting it as a second console. I own a 360 and am certainly interested in the Wii. (Stupid name though I suppose it is in keeping with trying to be different - revolution is basically another moniker for 360).

#4 of 34 OFFLINE   Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh

Screenwriter

• 2,968 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 06:05 PM

Absolute worst name for a console ever. They had it nailed with Revolution to begin with.

Anyway I know the jokes are going to be flying so had to get mine out of the way early. Posted Image

Posted Image
large

#5 of 34 OFFLINE   nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted April 27 2006 - 06:21 PM

Jason, that's terrible.

#6 of 34 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 01:02 AM

I agree, the name is terrible. What is wrong with the Revolution?

#7 of 34 OFFLINE   Kevin Ley

Kevin Ley

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:46 AM

I think I'm with most people, thinking that Wii is a dumb name. However, that's not what bothers me the most.

What bothers me is that Nintendo seems to be trying to pass off this naming campaign as some kind of heartfelt message to the gaming community; that they're going against the status quo with this name. That'd be great if that was what was really going on.

It seems to me that some people at Nintendo felt that a name change was absolutely necessary and some marketing monkey came up with this "Wii the people" advertising campaign. When I read Nintendo's message on the Wii website I don't think of new ways to play my games; I think "This is a corny play-on-words." I see no warmth of any kind, just the same corporate motivational yammer that I got from working at places like Gamestop.

That being said; I'm still very excited for the (sigh) Wii. I've always loved Nintendo's products. And the Wii is still a step forward in gaming. I just don't think they need such a wacky campaign to prove themselves.

The good news is that, good or bad, this change is generating press. People are talking about it more than ever and that's the whole point. The comments on this forum are the most positive I've seen so far in Nintendo's favor; so I think we (or Wii) all realize that, in the end, it's about sitting down and playing the damn game.

#8 of 34 OFFLINE   Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,525 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 04:41 AM

From an IGN interview with Perrin Kaplan (NOA's VP of corporate affairs)

Quote:
IGN Wii: You have said that you're going for a name that's unique, like Google. But Wii is also used as "we" every day and therefore only unique in spelling. Do you think there is a risk of confusing potential buyers with a title like this?

Perrin Kaplan: I think it's really fun to look at, the logo. I think people are going to see that on the box and our package art. I think people will get it straight after a while - it's just something they're going to have to get used to.

"... just something they're going to have to get used to."?? Such arrogance. This name obviously sucks and she knows it. According to the interview the naming process took close to a year. I'm really surprised, that given a year, ANY group of people couldn't come up with a much better name. I'm sure the backlash from the gamer community is going to be a major headache for them at E3.

My other favorite quote was
Quote:
We actually have had a day of a lot of smiles around here with a variety of things that fans have created, let me just say that. It shows you that people are big fans of Nintendo.

No, Perrin, its not because people are big fans. Its because they hate the name and are going to make fun of Nintendo because of it.

sigh... calming down... calming down...

Posted Image

I other article I liked from Gamespot had this quote

Quote:
One industry analyst who spoke in the condition of anonymity said flat out the choice was wrong, for a number of reasons. "It's a sound that doesn't exist in Japanese, so Japanese people will struggle to pronounce it."

Acknowledging that Nintendo has had code names for their consoles before--Dolphin became the GameCube, for instance. But this time, the analyst said, "Nintendo let the code name gain a little too much currency: people were used to it, and it was widely accepted as the console's name."

"Now they have a stupid-sounding manufactured name that probably wouldn't have tested well with English speakers if they'd bothered doing any market research," the analyst said. "And they're going to try to use it to replace an evocative, well-accepted name that people have been using for well over a year. Bad, stupid move."

However, Nintendo is confident that, after the initial shock wears off, people will take to the Wii name. "The other systems have an extension of their current names--ours is a new leap to something different," Nintendo of America vice president Perrin Kaplan told CNN/Money. A rep for the company echoed similar sentiments, assuring GameSpot that "the name will grow on you."

I guess it'll have to grow on me. Posted Image
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#9 of 34 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 05:45 AM

I've got a very serious question for a Nintendo insider.

In the past few years, have they been introducing laughing gas or other chemicals into the workplace environment?

Does Nintendo employees ever play video games?

#10 of 34 OFFLINE   Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor

• 772 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 07:32 AM

No matter how cool the system is that name is wii-tarded. Thanks MWB-1138.
If it wasn't for my horse, I wouldn't have spent that year in college.

#11 of 34 OFFLINE   EricW

EricW

Screenwriter

• 2,309 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 08:34 AM

maybe George Lucas came up with the name Posted Image
"now, if that's a fact, tell me... am i lying?"

#12 of 34 OFFLINE   BrianB

BrianB

Producer

• 5,211 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 09:17 AM

Quote:
Does Nintendo employees ever play video games?

Considering the quality of their releases recently, yes, yes they do.
high resolution ipod featuring dlp hd programming is the best, almost as good as playstation 2 with wega windows media on a super cd! ps2 and tivo do dolby tv with broadband hdtv!

#13 of 34 OFFLINE   Anthony Thorne

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor

• 529 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 11:23 AM

Spare a thought for UK and Australian gamers, where 'wee' (same pronounciation) is common kiddy slang for taking a leak.

'Urine the game with the Nintendo Wii.'

#14 of 34 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 01:00 PM

i love nintendo games and consoles, but this name sucks.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#15 of 34 OFFLINE   Simon Massey

Simon Massey

Screenwriter

• 2,113 posts
  • LocationKuwait

Posted April 29 2006 - 02:01 PM

Quote:
Spare a thought for UK and Australian gamers, where 'wee' (same pronounciation) is common kiddy slang for taking a leak.

I thought that was the same in the US. That's why I thought it was such a ridiculous name.

#16 of 34 OFFLINE   Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter

• 1,130 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 11:27 PM

Not a good name. But, im not buying for the name. I feel the launch will be semi-powerful when it comes to titles. Probably why they have been so quiet about things.

But, I do feel the system will do better than the Gamecube in the long run. Not sure why, but I feel this system will bring us better games and a better variety overall than the Gamecube did.

Not that the gamecube didn't have some good titles. It did. It just seemed like it took months and months between releases of something interesting.

I am hoping for more with this system.

#17 of 34 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
'Urine the game with the Nintendo Wii.'
Posted Image
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#18 of 34 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 08:38 AM

I've never bought a non-nintendo system, I still don't have a game cube because I couldn't afford to squander the time while in college, on the other hand my interest in revolution went from astromical to 'eh' with the name change to wii. I guess Nintendo is just really anxious to get the chance to file chapter eleven, after all it'll be a great new adventure.

This is about as hokey as the 'thank you for believing' voice over at the end of Hook.

Plus the oppurtunities for innuendos and dirty jokes are truly endless. Were I twelve-fourteen I'd be delighted at all the oppurtunities to make Nintendo seem filthy and I'd probably not want to actually own one.

Eh, I can't get really angry about this, but I seriously wonder if Nintendo wants to fail. I love and respect them for not getting in the 'my penis is bigger than your penis' comparison that Sony and Microsoft are involved in with stupid hardware specs but when you actually name your console after a penis? Wow, new levels of corporate/marketing stupidity have been released.

I think the question I'm most interested in was how hard and how long did NoA have to argue to get the chance to announce the name before E3? obviously had they announced it there they'd have been met by stupified silence followed by being laughed off the stage and right out of the show.

#19 of 34 OFFLINE   Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 10:55 AM

Quote:
my interest in revolution went from astromical to 'eh' with the name change to wii.

I know! It's like, the new games, and the radical new controller system, and the backwards-compatibility with the GameCube, and the inexpensive price compared to the other new consoles, and the being able to download all kinds of old games going back twenty years. . . all that just totally sucks now.

Nice going, Nintendo. Posted Image

#20 of 34 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 01:28 PM

exactly, its not as though the revolution is no longer exciting just because of a name, that's superficial, it's because switching to calling their system inadvertantly a penis and/or urine seems to reflect a company mindset that makes all those innovations much less exciting.

Penny Arcade really hit the nail on the head with their latest comic.

Also what was that shit that IGN was talking about on their wii-k in review, a brand doesn't sell a product a product sells a brand? Huh? Brands SELL products, Disney, Tupperware, Passion Parties, Tolkien, Wal-Mart, Nike--it's the brand that gets people interested in the other products from a company.

Nintendo just committed brand image suicide, and probably all the great product in the world won't help them. I'm trying to think of an equivalent analogy in real business history, but all that comes to mind is the 'bag-o-nails' sketch from SNL. New Coke is perhaps the most appropriate, though, and that at least offers hope for the future of Nintendo.

Quote:
What makes me mad isn't that Nintendo has chosen a name based on bizarre, interstellar philosophy. It's that they chose a name that was and is so readily used to obscure and discredit the imaginative power of the system.

Up until now, they've done an almost miraculous job maintaining enthusiasm for what is really a very unorthodox idea. To be honest, I sort of thought [the name] would be the easy part
Tycho- Penny Arcade blog

Maybe in Japan they can call it a yelda, instead.

Adam

Back to Video Gaming

Forum Nav Content I Follow