What's new

For those who buy "The Midnight Special" DVDs (1 Viewer)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
If someone here purchases the "Midnight Special" DVDs thru Guthy-Renker, could you post the artists on each one? I might be interested in the set but would have to see if it's worth it for me.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'll post here if I decide to get these. I'm wanting to know if this is a release of the entire series in chronological order or just a "Best Of" release.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I suspect we're all thinking the same thing as you, Jeff. No one wants to buy these without knowing what's on them. The Guthy-Renker blind-buy subscription model is about the most consumer-unfriendly thing I've heard of in ages, especially considering it's 2006 and it would take all of half-an-hour to have someone type the contents of the discs and post them.

I suspect this line is going to be a colossal failure, which is a shame, because there are some of those old "Midnight Special" concerts I'd love to have.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, they are being rather pig headed about the whole thing. I started the series, but I'm not at all happy about the way they are handling this. I bought the first DVD and when I got it, I called to make sure that all other future volumes come with an invoice so that I can use a check to pay for them. No dice.

I much prefer the way Columbia House and Time/Life handled their video library stuff. At least you could watch the DVD or tape before you bought it.

And, they are sending out 2 volumes per shipment at the cost of $19.99 for each volume plus shipping. That's over $40.00 charged to your credit card before you even decide if you even want those particular volumes. Total pain in the butt. I understand the extra cost because of the music rights issue, but to blind buy these first and then send them back for a refund if you don't want them is stupid.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, it sounds like a lousy set-up. Is there a way to email them on their website and complain ? Each of these volumes needs to be available separately when they are released.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The DVDs are not really even a 'Best of' collection, really. What you get are just the music performances. There isn't a full episode of the show on these DVDs. The picture and sound are great but I don't know how long I'm going to collect these.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Thanks a bunch for the info! From reading your post, it sounds like they're compiling 2-3 of the original M.S. shows onto each DVD, editing out the "Wolfman Jack" stuff and most of the comedy routines. Is that an accurate assumption of the packaging?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Jeff,

Well, yes and no. What they are doing is picking out the best music performances from the entire nine year run of the show and putting together the DVDs in a theme of sorts. The first DVD is Legendary Performers and you get everything from John Denver and Mama Cass (from the first episode) to Donna Summer (from 78). So, each DVD really covers several years of the show but there isn't a complete episode on the DVD. Just music performances from the entire nine year run of the show.

There are a couple of bonus comedy spots and there is even a whole DVD dedicated to just the comedians that appeard on the show.

Hope that helps.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Brian, approximately how many musical performances are on disc 1? Just wondering if it's worth the buy. Thanks!

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Thanks for the info. Decision time for me on this set. I sent in a question from the online Cust Svc page asking about cancellation policies, if any. I wanted to be certain that I'm not signing up for a "buy xx amount at club prices for a year, then you can leave" sort of thing. I didn't see any policy stated on their online site.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Elena, there are about 15 or more performances. I don't have the disc right in front of me, but 15 sounds about right. It's a good hour and a half worth of stuff.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Just and FYI. I just got my next two volumes and they are the best of 1973 and 1974. A few of the performances I already had on tape, but it was great to see them so clear. I get the feeling that they are going to do a volume for each year the that show was on the air. I will definately be getting all of the volumes from the 70s. I'm not so sure about the early 80s shows. It will depend on what is on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.