Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HDCP has already been cracked!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 of 26 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,269 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 03:15 AM

Quote:
"it has a very large problem: if any four devices conspire, they can break the security of the system."

http://www.freedom-t...ker.com/?p=1005
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#2 of 26 ONLINE   GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,126 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 03:26 AM

That's in the simple example. In reality:
Quote:
In the real system, where the secret vectors have forty entries, not four, it takes a conspiracy of about forty devices, with known private vectors, to break HDCP completely. But that is eminently doable, and it’s only a matter of time before someone does it.

#3 of 26 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 05:50 AM

What get's my goat is the unfortunate fact that people out there are interested in cracking codes that protect the product from pirating and copyright infringement. The site alone as labeled denotes desires to at a mininum rob from someone else. Downloads and patches to fix a problem, fine, but to disable anything in place to protect the product, sucks.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#4 of 26 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 05:57 AM

It was inevitible. Hackers look for ways around things. However HDCP is pretty stupid anyway. They say with using it in conjunction to force HDMI use if the ICT flag is on. Hackers and Pirates dont give a crap about copying the analog HD picture. They will figure out some way to make a bit for bit copy. Pirates will always be around. The best way to combat them is to make prices a bit lower and quit trying to screw the legit customers out of product. Remember how freaked out we were when we first found out about HDMI only with ICT?
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#5 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 06:04 AM

Quote:
Hackers and Pirates dont give a crap about copying the analog HD picture.

The motivations of those two groups differ entirely.

#6 of 26 OFFLINE   Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 06:07 AM

My point still stands.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#7 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 06:15 AM

well, if the studios do decide to implement ict, consumers will have access to a solution. hackers keep the studios honest.

#8 of 26 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 06:38 AM

On paper HDCP can be broken. I'm actually suprised a working/functional hack hadn't been perfected before the release of the actual product (with work done on BETA units).

Maybe I'm expecting too much from teenagers with computers.....
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#9 of 26 OFFLINE   Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin
well, if the studios do decide to implement ict, consumers will have access to a solution. hackers keep the studios honest.
"hackers keep the studios honest"
What do you mean by that?
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

#10 of 26 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyErwin
Not to be confrontational but the defense of hackers is a bit much. Though I must admit some hackers are needed, but those that do it just so that they can get the benefit of a product with out paying for it or to prolong your availablility to a product is just darn right stealing. As far as keeping the studios honest, that will never happen because the studio is in the business to sell a product and we as consumers are here to purchase the product. If we feel that a studio has in some form or fashion gave us anything less that what we deserve, then it's our choice to buy from them or not. We as consumers make the choice to deal or not to deal with less than scrupulous studios not the hackers.

#11 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 07:59 AM

Ed Felton is a hacker. But he's not a teenager, and he's not a pirate. On the other hand, you might have very negative feelings about Princeton.

Quote:
or to prolong your availablility to a product is just darn right stealing
hmm. sounds vaguely prurient. And not in a good way.

#12 of 26 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,935 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 08:19 AM

That portion of the comment addresses one the abilities a hacker has. If you have access to a product for a set period of time and a hacker assists you in prolonging that period past the time allowed, isn't that stealing???

P.S.
Prurient, what does sex or craving have to do with my comment, just curious please understand I'm not taken back by it just curious.

#13 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Prurient, what does sex or craving have to do with my comment, just curious please understand I'm not taken back by it just curious.

Normally, when I buy a product, I can avail myself of it's use. However, in the dark seamy shadowy future society you describe, people are apparently made available to products (and thus to corporate exploitation). But then objectification of individuals has long troubled sociologists.

#14 of 26 OFFLINE   Vader

Vader

Supporting Actor

• 796 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 09:08 AM

Quote:
... or to prolong your availablility to a product is just darn right stealing

As has been expressed before, once a product is purchased, it is now OWNED by the buyer, not licensed. There is no expiration date (much to Bill Gates' ire). We all know that product quality and longevity has decreased over time, and that things are not made to last, so that people wll buy the same thing multiple times (in effect, multiple dipping on things they already paid for). Sorry, but when I buy something, it stays bought. Of course, purchased subscriptions or services do not fall into this category, but buying DVDs is not a subscription or service...
Peace... Derek

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them.

Louvre attendant: Sacre bleu! ze frame on ze Mona Lisa broke and ze only one left iz too small. Andre, bring me ze scissors!

#15 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 09:26 AM

How many of you of the "copyright is sacrosanct" school of thought avail yourselves of dvd-beaver?

#16 of 26 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 10:44 AM

whats a dvd beaver?
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 10:57 AM

dvd-beaver is a dvd review site.

by way of example

#18 of 26 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,942 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 11:09 AM

i believe there exists DVI cables out there that disable HDCP, but i don't think it's legal in the US. it is in Germany.

#19 of 26 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Screenwriter

• 2,732 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 11:27 AM

I know there is a difference and a relationship between them, but what exactly is the difference/realtionship between HDCP and AACS?
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#20 of 26 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 02:24 PM

hdcp encrypts the video signal between the dvd player and the monitor (and also the audio between player and receiver). aacs is used to encrypt the data on disc and manage digital restrictions.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow