What's new

HDCP has already been cracked! (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
What get's my goat is the unfortunate fact that people out there are interested in cracking codes that protect the product from pirating and copyright infringement. The site alone as labeled denotes desires to at a mininum rob from someone else. Downloads and patches to fix a problem, fine, but to disable anything in place to protect the product, sucks.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
It was inevitible. Hackers look for ways around things. However HDCP is pretty stupid anyway. They say with using it in conjunction to force HDMI use if the ICT flag is on. Hackers and Pirates dont give a crap about copying the analog HD picture. They will figure out some way to make a bit for bit copy. Pirates will always be around. The best way to combat them is to make prices a bit lower and quit trying to screw the legit customers out of product. Remember how freaked out we were when we first found out about HDMI only with ICT?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
well, if the studios do decide to implement ict, consumers will have access to a solution. hackers keep the studios honest.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
On paper HDCP can be broken. I'm actually suprised a working/functional hack hadn't been perfected before the release of the actual product (with work done on BETA units).

Maybe I'm expecting too much from teenagers with computers.....

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Not to be confrontational but the defense of hackers is a bit much. Though I must admit some hackers are needed, but those that do it just so that they can get the benefit of a product with out paying for it or to prolong your availablility to a product is just darn right stealing. As far as keeping the studios honest, that will never happen because the studio is in the business to sell a product and we as consumers are here to purchase the product. If we feel that a studio has in some form or fashion gave us anything less that what we deserve, then it's our choice to buy from them or not. We as consumers make the choice to deal or not to deal with less than scrupulous studios not the hackers.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Ed Felton is a hacker. But he's not a teenager, and he's not a pirate. On the other hand, you might have very negative feelings about Princeton.

hmm. sounds vaguely prurient. And not in a good way.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
That portion of the comment addresses one the abilities a hacker has. If you have access to a product for a set period of time and a hacker assists you in prolonging that period past the time allowed, isn't that stealing???

P.S.
Prurient, what does sex or craving have to do with my comment, just curious please understand I'm not taken back by it just curious.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

Normally, when I buy a product, I can avail myself of it's use. However, in the dark seamy shadowy future society you describe, people are apparently made available to products (and thus to corporate exploitation). But then objectification of individuals has long troubled sociologists.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek

As has been expressed before, once a product is purchased, it is now OWNED by the buyer, not licensed. There is no expiration date (much to Bill Gates' ire). We all know that product quality and longevity has decreased over time, and that things are not made to last, so that people wll buy the same thing multiple times (in effect, multiple dipping on things they already paid for). Sorry, but when I buy something, it stays bought. Of course, purchased subscriptions or services do not fall into this category, but buying DVDs is not a subscription or service...

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
How many of you of the "copyright is sacrosanct" school of thought avail yourselves of dvd-beaver?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i believe there exists DVI cables out there that disable HDCP, but i don't think it's legal in the US. it is in Germany.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I know there is a difference and a relationship between them, but what exactly is the difference/realtionship between HDCP and AACS?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
hdcp encrypts the video signal between the dvd player and the monitor (and also the audio between player and receiver). aacs is used to encrypt the data on disc and manage digital restrictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks