Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few thoughts about....THE TOWERING INFERNO SPECIAL EDITION (with Photos)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

#61 of 67 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,513 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 04:02 AM

Scott,

Unfortunately, no.

One of the bad things about getting screeners
is that although they come in final packaging and
are often shrinkwrapped, the paper materials are missing.

....I still have the awful Homer Head Simpsons set
I can't exchange because I have no receipt -- but I
really can't complain too much about that.

I greatly appreciate the opportunity, though, to be
able to receive product from time to time in order to
be able to give you guys a preview of these discs. I
just wish I had more time available to do it more often.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#62 of 67 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,258 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hamilton
On a curious note Ron, did you get the lobby cards and booklet on your review copies?

I'm not Ron, but I can state that my copies didn't come with any paper materials. Fox stuff rarely does. Occasionally they send me actual retail copies of things, but usually the screeners lack the final paper stuff...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#63 of 67 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 08:29 AM

Best dvd for a disaster movie I've seen so far (although I have yet to see the Poseiden Adventure SE).

#64 of 67 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted May 19 2006 - 08:36 AM

I'd go even farther and say this is the best release for a 70's era film this year, and possibly ever.
honestly, from the use of the original key art on the jackets and the embossed slipcases, to the abundance of strong supplemental content- all of which supports a superior new transfer- there isn't any way I can think of for this package to be improved. Well, except for a high definition release.

But in all other respects Its a gold standard release as far as I'm concerned.

and Poseidon isn't far behind at all.

#65 of 67 OFFLINE   Mike Heenan

Mike Heenan

Second Unit

• 405 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 07:36 AM

And the price is great too, $14.99. I'm just curious why they didn't track down any of the original surviving stars for a commentary. I'm not complaining in the least though. Has Paul Newman done a commentary? Faye Dunaway, etc?

#66 of 67 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,258 posts

Posted May 21 2006 - 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Heenan
And the price is great too, $14.99. I'm just curious why they didn't track down any of the original surviving stars for a commentary. I'm not complaining in the least though. Has Paul Newman done a commentary? Faye Dunaway, etc?

Not sure about Dunaway, but Newman participated in the Verdict commentary. However, that was a joke - he pops up for about two minutes (literally) toward the end of the film and that's that. Newman chats more in interviews that make up the Hustler commentary.

I don't think he's ever recorded an actual running, screen-specific commentary, though. His interviews have been included in commentaries and that's the extent of his involvement...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#67 of 67 OFFLINE   BrianP

BrianP

Supporting Actor

• 601 posts

Posted May 24 2006 - 05:49 PM

Amazon recently cut the price of both the Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure Special Editions to $10.87 each. If you buy both they give you a $5 off discount bringing the total to $16.84 for both titles. Also they have a similar deal with the new Patton and Longest Day releases. Get all 4 to qualify for free shipping.

http://www.amazon.co....v=glance&n=130

Forum Nav Content I Follow