Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few thoughts about....THE TOWERING INFERNO SPECIAL EDITION (with Photos)

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#21 of 67 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 08:06 AM

Thanks very much, Craig, for that tip. You just saved me an extra five clams.

And -- If your "A9" discount is activated, save even more, and take home the two SEs for just $20.65! Just five bucks per individual disc!

I doubt that even Fred Astaire could snuff out the flames from that hot $20.65 deal with his coat! Posted Image

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EHSVOG

And just remember -- "When there's a fire, I outrank everybody here (except for Amazon)." Posted Image

#22 of 67 OFFLINE   Ryan Thoryk

Ryan Thoryk

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted April 30 2006 - 01:42 AM

I've got a collection of Towering Inferno stuff you guys might enjoy (scans of stuff I own) on my site here:
http://www.tliquest....wering Inferno/
and more interesting stuff here:
http://www.tliquest.net/ryan/tipics

and also I'm the author of an open-source skyscraper simulator program (currently being rewritten from the ground up) that simulates both the external and full interior portions of custom made buildings; one of those is the Glass Tower Posted Image (the main building for it is a building I designed; the 142-story Triton Center) - the exterior is almost finished (just have to fix some scaling issues) and I'm coming up with floorplans for the interior sections (the floors are being modified somewhat from the original movie set layouts, due to the fact that the sets aren't exactly contiguous. The Glass Tower's floorplans are being made the same way as the Triton Center's (the Triton Center has an almost complete set of floorplans on the site).

The site for that is here:
http://www.tliquest.net/skyscraper

and here's some pics (the textures will be fixed after the C++ conversion, and the building will be widened to Michael Jehn's specs):
Posted Image

Posted Image

Building shape at the base (weird) - the back was theorized mostly by Michael Jehn using movie storyboards
Posted Image

Eventually the rewrite (1.1) will come up to par with the original 1.0 version. Here's a pic of an elevator in the original (that version has fully working elevators, stairs, shafts, etc but is far less realistic):
Posted Image

#23 of 67 OFFLINE   Lucas Anderson

Lucas Anderson

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 02:02 PM

Ron, Is it true there are 30 extended/deleted scenes?

#24 of 67 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 03:37 PM

Be careful with Amazon if you want it right away, after I placed the order the confirmation said it would be shipped May 9 (I hate waiting). And that was not with the free shipping selection, I actually paid 3.50 to have it within 3-5 days. If they don't ship in the next two days, I'll cancel and go to Target.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#25 of 67 OFFLINE   Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson

Producer

• 5,391 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 03:32 AM

33, actually...
Colin Jacobson
http://www.dvdmg.com

#26 of 67 OFFLINE   Dougieha

Dougieha

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 06:44 AM

But, it isn't even supposed to come out until May 9?!

#27 of 67 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 07:19 AM

Doug, oops my mistake. Guess I am way overexcited about these.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#28 of 67 OFFLINE   Dougieha

Dougieha

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted May 02 2006 - 12:09 PM

No problem...you just had me rapidly checking to see if I had missed it today!

#29 of 67 OFFLINE   Brian Little

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator

• 216 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 08:01 AM

Wow... looks like this will be a for sure double dip for me. Those screen shots alone sold me. Thanks Ron. Posted Image
Brian The Demolition Man Little
Boycotting TDB Ever Since June 2nd 2007

#30 of 67 OFFLINE   James Luckard

James Luckard

Stunt Coordinator

• 210 posts

Posted May 03 2006 - 09:55 AM

Ryan, The scans are fantastic, especially the production design artwork of the tower and the storyboards. Great job.

#31 of 67 OFFLINE   Steve JD

Steve JD

Stunt Coordinator

• 99 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 02:01 AM

Check out this new review of the Special Edition:

http://www.dvdmg.com...infernose.shtml

Less than a week to go!!

#32 of 67 OFFLINE   RickardL

RickardL

Second Unit

• 472 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 04:44 AM

I agree, the 1999 Dolby Digital 5.1 sounds much fuller and warmer. The new one sounds thinner with less dynamics. Edit: also, the 1999 surrounds are much more used and active. The new picture on the other hand, is much more stable, detailed and sharp. Almost too sharp. If I could have my choice, I'd go with the old 5.1 sound with the new picture...

#33 of 67 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,480 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted May 04 2006 - 09:20 PM

Both The Towering Inferno and The Poseidon Adventure arrived today; a quick flick through reveals a couple of handsome transfers - the latter particularly streets ahead of the old edge enhanced to hell R2. Both are double Amarays inside cardboard slipcases and come with those 'booklets', though they are simply foldout leafleats with a little info, but 'Inferno' goes a step further inasmuch as Fox has also included a set of lobby cards in an attractive envelope, plus - a la Warners style - a miniature reproduction of the original movie programme. Very nice indeed. Apparently, there's also a set of lobby card repros in 'Poseidon' but mine didn't include them...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#34 of 67 OFFLINE   Lucas Anderson

Lucas Anderson

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 12:42 AM

Thanks John

dvdpacific have sent mine out already (thought it was May 9 - but hey even better!!)

Here is another review from DVDBeaver

http://www.dvdbeaver....dvd_review.htm

#35 of 67 OFFLINE   Dave Mack

Dave Mack

Producer

• 4,665 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 08:04 AM

Ron, as usual, you ROCK! Your enthusiasm for these good old flicks is contagious. Now to sell the old copies.

Posted Image d

#36 of 67 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 08:26 AM

Remember, Amazon selects Standard shipping by default. You have to manually select Free Shipping before clicking Place Order. Regardless of what the order status page says, my orders (always placed using Free Shipping) arrive in 2-3 days (sometimes 1), and are shipped out 1-2 days before street date (sometimes on the day).

#37 of 67 OFFLINE   andySu

andySu

Screenwriter

• 2,167 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 01:44 PM

I remember my dad taking me to see this when I was, 7 years old, and there where two disaster films released that week there about, and that other one was on my list to see and hear as well!? During the intermission break of “The Towering Inferno” right after the explosion as taken place in the stairwell, what could I hear rumpling above my head!? “Earthquake!” damn was it filtering or what into the downstairs cinema, of course when film started up again, you really couldn’t hear the Earthquake effects, the highlights for me was the John Williams score. Now moving onwards too today, will not quite today a few years back when “Warner Bros” released it onto region 2 DVD, so what disappointed I was the sound was only presented in “Dolby 2.0” having read on the internet that there where “70mm six-track stereo mag” prints made during its theatrical release, I would have thought Warner could have done better hear. But at least it was in “scope 2.35:1” which I haven’t seen in nearly 26 years, so that was plus, now the region 2 version is rather basic, with static menus, with a looped John Williams score playing over it, and just one theatrical trailer. So, someday soon, I’d expect a better version from Warner with six-track stereo!?

#38 of 67 OFFLINE   Malcolm Cleugh

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 09:33 PM

Luckily my copies of both DVDs came with the lobby cards. In an envelope inside the case. I think the inclusion of the publicity brochure for Towering Inferno is a nice touch. There is no mention of this or the lobby cards on the sleeve, although you can see there is a booklet as well as the DVD inside the sealed card sleeve. Its also nice they use one of those proper slip cases which are only open along one long edge of thick card rather than the current vogue of those open at the top and bottom which are not sealed and always tend to fall off.

#39 of 67 OFFLINE   Douglas R

Douglas R

Screenwriter

• 1,926 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted May 06 2006 - 05:33 AM

Well I got the sets of lobby cards for both "Towering Inferno" and "Poseiden" but didn't get the reproduction of the original programme in "Poseiden"! Obviously it's pot luck as to what you receive! The slipcase gives the correct soundtracks as 4.00 and 2.00 surround but the actual disc box packaging incorrectly states that it also has a 5.1 mix.

#40 of 67 OFFLINE   DouglasRobert

DouglasRobert

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted May 09 2006 - 05:06 AM

Just got mine today. As stated they come in Keep case that slides into a paper sleeve. The sleeve has 3-D artwork. It's a rather tight fit to get the case back into the sleeve. I haven't watched anything yet, but can confirm that it comes with both the Lobby Cards and the booklet. Poseidon I don't think comes with a booklet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users