Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Comments on the SFS Mahler SACD's?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 OFFLINE   Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted April 24 2006 - 05:23 AM

Has anyone had a chance to check out the San Francisco Symphony (Michael Tilson Thomas) SACD releases of Mahler's symphonies? I believe they currently have released 7 of his 9 with plans to finish the rest soon. I picked up No. 7 last night but haven't had a chance to sit down and check it out yet.

#2 of 52 OFFLINE   Doug Otte

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

• 702 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 01:42 AM

Matt, I've not heard them, but based upon MTT's reputation as a Mahler interpreter and based upon reviews elsewhere of the SACDs, I'm going to add them to my long list of wanted SACDs. I'm not sure, but check out these sites for reviews:
http://www.highfidel...w.com/index.asp
http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html
http://www.sa-cd.net/home
http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/

Cheers,
Doug

#3 of 52 OFFLINE   JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 02:02 AM

some more reviews from Classics Today (

No. 1
No. 2
No. 3
No. 4
No. 7
No. 9

#4 of 52 OFFLINE   Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls

Lead Actor

• 7,871 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted April 26 2006 - 10:04 AM

I have only purchased the Mahler 1st thus far, but I consider it the to be sonically the finest recording I have ever heard. MTT is comparible to other interpreters which I have owned, including Walter and Solti.
Feline videophiles Condoleezza and Dukie.

#5 of 52 OFFLINE   MichaelBA

MichaelBA

Supporting Actor

• 747 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 10:14 AM

Just an aside, but...

Ya gotta go for the complete Bernstein too!

Indispensable!!!

http://www.amazon.co....=glance&n=5174
He's got the bit between his teeth... all right!

#6 of 52 OFFLINE   Matt Fisher

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

• 342 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 01:36 PM

So much Mahler...
Thanks for the comments Dennis, I think I'm gonna stick with this series for a while, they put a lot of effort into packaging and presentation, and I finally got around to listening to the 7th, sounds fantastic.

#7 of 52 OFFLINE   john-Ka

john-Ka

Auditioning

• 8 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 03:28 AM

there are a few thinqs to say... them are just great

#8 of 52 OFFLINE   Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 01:21 PM

I have them all. The sound quality is spectacular. The performances vary. They seem almost too smooth, glossing over some of the finer points in Mahler's scores that give the works their primal intensity.

I have all the recent Boulez CD releases as well and enjoy them just as much. The detail in these recordings is just remarkable.

The original Bernstein, NYPO recordings were my introduction to Mahler back in the early 70s. The orchestra wasn't great, but Bernstein put so much (some say too much) of his own emotion into the performances that they would leave one totally drained at the end.

I say get 'em, and the Chailly, and the Zander, and the ...

Greg
"Aufersteh'n, ja aufersteh'n wirst du, Mein Herz, in einem Nu.
Was du geschlagen, Zu Gott wird es dich tragen!"

#9 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted April 04 2007 - 05:44 PM

Bump.

They seem almost too smooth, glossing over some of the finer points in Mahler's scores that give the works their primal intensity.

This is exactly one of my areas of concern, Greg. Would you make a similar criticism of the Zander/Philharmonia interpretations, or is he less "guilty" in this regard?

How edifying and accessible do you find the second disc of the Zander releases, in which he talks about the work? Would you consider that a significant "pro" for the Zander releases for someone who is fairly new to Mahler?

#10 of 52 OFFLINE   Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 11:48 AM

Wow, I had forgotten this thread even existed. I only have Zander's recording of the 5th and haven't listened to it in a while. I will very soon and get back. The Boulez performances are a bit sterile, but that may be because we have become accustomed to conductors adding to a score that already tells them everything they need to know about performing it. After all Mahler was first and foremost a conductor. He hated seeing works butchered by conductors who took too many liberties. But he also rescored all the Beethoven symphonies so go figure.

Paul, thanks for resurrecting this thread. Anytime Mahler can be thoughtfully discussed it's always worth the time and effort. I'll try to post my favorites next time (out of the recordings I own).

Greg

#11 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted April 05 2007 - 12:11 PM

I look forward to your (and others'!) comments, Greg.

#12 of 52 OFFLINE   Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 14 2007 - 04:08 PM

Listened to both the Chailly and Nagano Eights on Thursday. You have to know that I can't do this without interruptions and other distractions. That would be three hours of pure pleasure of which I have been denied for lo these many years. I still prefer the Nagano. Maybe its the wonderful SACD recording over the DVD-A of Chailly, but I doubt it. They are both superb performances, really. Nagano just felt more "comfortable", if I may use that expression. I've listened to my Solti/Chicago LP many, many times. The performance is impressive in its intensity, but ultimately uninvolving and, to me, lacking soul.

Greg

#13 of 52 OFFLINE   Greg Bright

Greg Bright

Second Unit

• 263 posts

Posted April 15 2007 - 01:30 AM

I'd like to recommend this site/list to anyone who fancies themself as a Mahler afficionado/addict/fanatic. I subscribed for years and probably will again soon. There is more information here than one can absorb. What's lacking is any analysis of Mahler's music from a compositional standpoint. It's all about the performances/recordings. Everyone concedes that his music is great, but nobody talks about how he did it.

http://listserv.uh.e...ahler-list.html

#14 of 52 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 15 2007 - 09:49 AM

I have most of them and they have been unformly excellent. Pure DSD recording chain. I especially like the Mahler 6.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#15 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted April 15 2007 - 06:37 PM

Thx, Greg, esp for comments re the Chailly 8th DVD-A; had been wondering about that one.

Lee do you have any of the Zander Telarcs? Comparative comments to the MTT SFSO's?

Paul,
The San Francisco 8th has not yet been released. Maybe this fall. The Solti version is fast and furious. I have it on LP. Other 8s in my collection include the Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw on London DVD-A, Abbado/Berlin on DG CD, and a really fine Kent Nagano/Berlin Radio Orchestra SACD on Harmonia Mundi. The Nagano is my current favorite. When the SFSO 8th comes out it will be my only complete set by one conductor/orchestra. Hope they do a 10th as well as a Das Lied von der Erde. I have his Das Klagende Lied on CD, too.

Regards,

Greg Bright

#16 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted April 15 2007 - 07:08 PM

[Delete dupe post.]

#17 of 52 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,814 posts

Posted April 15 2007 - 07:20 PM

[Delete dupe post.]

#18 of 52 OFFLINE   Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted April 16 2007 - 03:15 AM

The Zanders are good also but I prefer the SFS performances.
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#19 of 52 OFFLINE   Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter

• 1,455 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted April 16 2007 - 09:31 AM

I have all the hi-res m/c Zander discs on Telarc, and they were responsible for turning me on to Mahler. Each of them have the additional CD of commentary by Zander. He's fascinating, and the information he shares is simply enriching.

Sonically I find these Telarc discs outstanding in every way, although I would rank them as follows (best on top):

Symphony #3
Symphony #1
Symphony #6
Symphony #5

#20 of 52 OFFLINE   PaulT

PaulT

Supporting Actor

• 932 posts

Posted April 18 2007 - 02:43 AM

Here is some more Mahler for you on SACD:
http://www.highfidel....umber=12444481
David Zinman conducting the Zurich Tonhalle Orchestra
"One of the problems of taking things apart and seeing how they work--supposing you're trying to find out how a cat works--you take that cat apart to see how it works, what you've got in your hands is a non-working cat." -- Douglas Adams