What's new

Bad Picture Quality on JVC HD-ILA (1 Viewer)

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,
I bought the 52 inch model of the JVC HD-ILA last week. I am not totally happy with the picture quality though. Sometimes the colors seem very "splotchy" and there is alot of fuzzyness around borders or major color tranistions.

I have the Sony 400 DVP-CX-985V DVD player. It is connected directly to the TV through the RGB outputs to the RGB on the TV. I tried it with the S-Video and the Composite, but those were noticably worse.

Any suggestions on what to do?

Thanks in advance,
Kevin

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The requisite question is whether you have calibrated the set using Avia or Video Essentials. That would be the first step if you haven't. There are a few other JVC owners who can chime in with suggestions on their settings.

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
I have not done any calibrating, what and how do I do that. What are Avia or Video Essentials?

Thanks

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Avia and Video Essentials are DVDs that walk you through making appropriate settings on your TV and surround sound system. For video they will have you change things like color, tint, sharpness, brightness and contrast to conform to NTSC standards. On the audio side they provide pink noise levels to properly balance all speakers in your system.

Video Essentials: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130

Avia: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/630...v=glance&n=130

There may be other features on the TV that need to be turned off to maximize the picture, but I'll leave that to the JVC owners (or you can do a search).

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
Just ordered both of those from Amazon, figure I will use one and if that takes care of it, then I can return the other.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Can also try one of the THX optimizer modes from a Star Wars DVD that might help things out while you are waiting for the real test discs.

Regards

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
Call Amazon, they charged me $59 including shipping...commision comes from who you work for, not the buyer :)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Try these settings while you're waiting:

Select "Dynamic" as your preference

Tint +03
Color -10
Picture +05
Bright +13
Detail -21
Color temp Low
Dig. Noise Clear Low
Color Mgmt. Off
Dynamic Gamma Off

Your needs will vary with lighting conditions and the individual vagaries of your set, but those are the post-calibration settings on my 56" HD-ILA and it looks pretty durn good, if I do say so myself. Just bringing the brightness, contrast and color down from their "flamethrower" factory settings to the midpoint and removing the video noise added by the so-called "detail" (AKA "sharpness") control will vastly improve your picture compared to how the set looks out of the box.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
P.S.

I have the same DVD player, and have connected using HDMI direct to the TV, component direct to the TV and component via my Onkyo receiver. (Which is the current set-up.) All connections looked just fine once calibrated.

Regards,

Joe

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
Ok,
Just did all those settings, it is definetly better. I will do it again tonight since I cannot completely darken the room.

It still seems "fuzzy" around the borders of highly contrasting colors such as blue and white.

You must have a newer version of the DVD player, mine does not have HDMI on it. Also, which Onkyo reciever are you using? I have the TX-SR800.

Kevin

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I have the Onkyo TX-SR503. And you're right, my 400 disc Sony is the more recent DVP-CX995V which has HDMI out. What sort of material are you watching on it? (I mostly watch DVDs and HD TV material. What little standard def stuff I watch I usually record to watch later on the GE LCD flat-panel in my bedroom.)

Regards,

Joe

KevinST

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Onkyo TX-SR800 and love it. I mostly am watching DVDs, I dont have cable yet. The oldest DVD I have watched is the first Harry Potter movie.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I don't use the dynamic setting. It looks too blue to me.

I use the standard setting with these values on in the picture calibration menu:

Tint -10
Color -8
Picture -6
Bright -8
Detail -11

I turn off all the picture enhancement controls like gamma and color management. I, too, use low temperature setting.

I have the 52" as well but it's in a very darkened room. I must admit I've gotten gasps from friends about the picture quality on HDTV programs like CSI: MIAMI and LOST.

I have a Samsung 850 upconversion player attached through HDMI that looks very good upscaling to 720P.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

Yeah, one of the really surprising things for me is how much better even letterboxed DVD titles look when upconverted to 720p on the JVC. :)

Of course, I still want an anamorphic version of Streets of Fire, but I may be willing to wait for a couple of years to get that in hi-def when I finally have a hi-def DVD player, so I guess I can live with what I have for the time being. :D

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread