Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

World Cinema Recommendations ?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 of 1 OFFLINE   Manus

Manus

Second Unit

• 411 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 10:57 PM

I'm fed up with partisan Bluray supporter stickers before the format has even launched and +50 page threads that leave me more confused than when I started ,the rush towards a High ( even better than the real thing ! ) Definition future hasn't floated my boat (yet?)

So I've spent most of this last year stocking up on True Classics like Hitchcock Boxsets , King Kong, Ben Hur, Film Noir and Warner Gangster Collection and the upcoming Tough Guys Collection , John Ford and John Wayne sets and of course Double Indemnity and the excellent Prisoner of Shark Island.

To further distance myself from yet another pointless and unneccessary format war and because ( in the spirit of Hitchcock) I've always been very anti Region Coding and the using of (a lack of ) subtitles to enforce it, I'm looking for some World Cinema suggestions preferably on good quality dvd discs.I'm pretty much open to anything but some examples of what I have already include :

Downfall (Germany)
Amelie,Brotherhood of the Wolf (France)
Ran,Kagemusha,Casshern,Audition,Phone (Japan)
The Eye ( Thailand)
R-Point,Silmido,Oldboy,Sympathy for Mr.Vengeance etc ( South Korea)
The Dish ,Rabbit Proof Fence (Australia)
Night Watch (Russia)
Hero,House of Flying Daggers (China)
Criterion ( Just about anything )
Any old Classic Films that may be available only in a region different to its originating one.

I regularly browse through Gary Toozes Dvdbeaver 'Why go region free ' section but if anyone has any recommendations for films that viewed as being exceptionally good/enjoyable I'd be very grateful

~M~

Actually meant to post this in Regional Dvd Area , if somebody could move it there I'd be grateful . Thanks
I have just two words to say to you..... Shut the f*** up !