Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

VISIONS OF LIGHT tourney!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
323 replies to this topic

#1 of 324 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 04:16 PM

This Tourney is a competition between the films featured in the documentary Visions of Light.

This is primarily a tourney of cinematography, so ideally one should vote for the film they feel has better cinematography. I'll post four examples (plus the title comparisons of the cinematography of each film that is in competition that day as a reminder.

I've taken the list (from Imdb) of the films featured and narrowed it down to what I feel are the most competitive and worthy top 64.

So today I bring you the first match up (matchings will be posted here in a random order, having nothing to do with the seeding of the various matchs)

ROUND 1, MATCH 1
Star Wars ----------------------- vs ----------------------- How Green Was My Valley
DP Gilbert Taylor --------------------------------------------- DP Arthur Miller

Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 of 324 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 04:48 PM

I'll go with How Green Was My Valley

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#3 of 324 OFFLINE   Jan H

Jan H

Screenwriter

• 2,010 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 05:06 PM

Shit, no wonder the HTF server crashed!

Great shots!

STAR WARS

#4 of 324 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,160 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted April 21 2006 - 06:27 PM

Are those SW shots the ones that were tinkered with? I don't recall the original trilogy looking that good but either way my vote goes to HOW GREEN. The last two shots makes it the clear winner to me.

#5 of 324 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 07:08 PM

John Alton wouldn't have put Star Wars in Visions of Light if it didn't look great. The only thing done to any of these screengrabs (via power dvd) was the resolution was changed to 72dpi with a 400 pixel height. Whether or not the scene of Luke outside of the burning homestead was tinkered with I can't say. Those colors may have been in the original negative but never appeared so clearly when scene on a sixth generation print screened two thousand times. or it could be because that shot lasts all of three seconds when they cut away from a Luke close up to the long shot I used and then wipe to the death star. Also I didn't really notice the colors in that shot until I freeze framed it because it is on screen so quickly. I don't think the other shots would have been affected as much. The closeup character lighting in Star Wars is brilliant. ObiWan is lit slighly differently from Han or Luke when on Tatooine, and that particular scene "for over a thousand generations" is particularly exceptional.

Vader's entrance has always been one of my favorite photographic moments of the series, the black silhoette stepping through the smoke and fog and sea of white forms, moving over a mass of bodies.

The photography of Star wars is often overlooked, cinematographically, the scene with Leah and Tarkin is one of my favorites, the way Cushing uses his body and Lucas and Taylor use the framing to crush Leah between Tarkin and Vader and (hopefully) break her spirit.

All of these are hosted off site on my website, I can make them smaller if it becomes an issue for HTF. Posted Image right now each is about 100k. I'm just glad I didn't start this monday as I planned.

Arthur Miller wrote an article in 1941 about the advances in interior lighting that let him shoot HGWMV, it's a great article and AC recently reprinted it. Also note his different closeup lighting on Hew (at the most romantic lighting he gets in the film) and Angharad

#6 of 324 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 10:50 PM

Star Wars
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#7 of 324 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 01:36 AM

Time for the ol' coin flip...

Star Wars

#8 of 324 OFFLINE   Bill McA

Bill McA

Producer

• 5,969 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 02:38 AM

Star Wars

#9 of 324 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 05:13 AM

How Green Was My Valley
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#10 of 324 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 05:16 AM

I’d agree that Star Wars may not get is cinematographic due, but since some of the best shots are right out of the Leni Riefensthl playbook, I’ll cast my vote for

How Green Was My Valley.

A great idea Adam—and very fine examples.
¡Time is not my master!

#11 of 324 OFFLINE   Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 11:36 AM

Star Wars

Admittedly, it's difficult to disentangle certain aspects of the film from the film itself, but I think Star Wars is gorgeous, in particular its brilliant use of color and light. The expansiveness of the desert backdrops effectively conveys the desperation that Luke feels at home. One gets a real sense of a hero, oppressed by his environment, just waiting to break free and do great things.

The cinematography is both beautiful and essential in advancing the narrative.

#12 of 324 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 02:37 PM

Star Wars advances 5-4, I decided to let this run through the weekend to let people get a chance to see it. I'd have broken the previous tie for HGWMV.

The next round will be up shortly.

#13 of 324 OFFLINE   Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 03:01 PM

Nice sig. graphic Adam. Hopefully it will drum up some interest in the tourney.

#14 of 324 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 03:32 PM

ROUND 1, MATCH 2
Citizen Kane ----------------------- vs ----------------------- Do the Right Thing
DP Gregg Toland --------------------------------------------- DP Ernest Dickerson

Posted ImagePosted Image

Citizen Kane:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do the Right Thing
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 of 324 OFFLINE   Adam_S

Adam_S

Producer

• 6,119 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 03:41 PM

by the way, after a match is ended I'll be shrinking down the previous images to a height of 150 pixels to better reduce the load on my site and hopefully faciltate the loading of this page, so you don't have to wait forever for a post at the bottom of the page to load.

#16 of 324 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 03:45 PM

Citizen Kane
¡Time is not my master!

#17 of 324 OFFLINE   Marc Fedderman

Marc Fedderman

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 03:50 PM

Citizen Kane

#18 of 324 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 10:11 PM

Citizen Kane
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#19 of 324 OFFLINE   SteveGon

SteveGon

Executive Producer

• 12,267 posts

Posted April 24 2006 - 12:43 AM

Actually a tough decision, but I'll go with the flow:

Citizen Kane

#20 of 324 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,578 posts

Posted April 24 2006 - 04:16 AM

Actually, not that tough a decision for me. Now, before someone comes in and accuses me of simply making the "canonical" choice, Citizen Kane has particular significance from a historical perspective. We've gotten used to it now, but it is one of a handful of films which changed cinematography forever.

Citizen Kane

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.