What's new

XM- A Quickly Sinking ship (1 Viewer)

DaveSarcevic

Agent
I have had the oppurtunity to listen both Sirius & Xm. And to tell you the truth Xm cant even compare to Sirius. I have read some of the posts of the Xm supporters and and I see people in denial. Xm continues to make poor business decisions causing an executive to leave. Members are being begged by Xm not to cancel, reducing monthly memberships to $3.00 to keep members who have come to their senses. No offense Ron, but how much does Xm pay you or this site to praise them. The false sense of superiority that you give to Xm is embarrasing and quite honestly desperate.

Xm spent almost $200,000,000 in the final quarter of last year for advertising and showed no gain for it. Hiring Oprah for a 30 minutes a week, boy, that should bring in the subscriptions. Switch to Sirius and Howard and you will never regret it. If you dont like Howard Stern, ask yourself, "What the hell is the matter with me?"

Bubbabooey to you all.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

It sounds like you work for Sirius. I certainly hope you
don't because such trolling is not appreciated.

And let's set the record straight...

XM pays me nothing. My opinions on XM being the superior service
are based on listening to BOTH. I have also been to Sirius headquarters
and met management, and I can tell you that I was never so disgusted
with a group with a group of people and the way they used me and
this forum as a means to promote their service.

My opinion is an educated one. Yours seems to have some alteriative
motives.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

If you don't like the Howard of the past 10 years, praise yourself for your good taste! :)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
First, I will be open and say: I really enjoy SIRIUS and have spent time promoting it on this forum. I don't really give a darn about Howard Stern or O&A or the like. And, admittedly, my main competitor to SIRIUS is not FM music radio, but rather AM talk, where community issues, politics and sports get hashed out... along with Audiobooks.

But, where SIRIUS got me was with what I felt to be superior sports offerings, and because I'm an NFL junkie, I still lean that way. I do occassionally listen to the music, and I love SIRIUS's format, especially of their urban/rap/etc. oriented stations which I feel are dead on and keep a rotation that I like.

But I recognize that there are those who like a different format, etc. And that's fine. While Ron & I have had our back and forths at times, I don't think either of us would suggest the other is a loon for what they like or don't like. You find something you like and that's the direction you go.

I've tried XM in a rental car when my vehicle was totalled (damnit) and it just didn't suit me. I found myself missing NFL Network as well as a few other signature shows enough that I just can't consider switching.

And that's fine. I know a lot of people who are really in love with XM's format, and I think: bully for them. Admittedly, this is coming from someone who has listened to the same four book audio-book series (over 100hrs combined) at least four times in the last year. (Hey, when you drive 4-5 hours a day, it is worthwhile). And that's where I love SIRIUS, because the kind of programming I wanted, they have.

I'm not going to encourage people to hop ship from XM if they like it. I will encourage them, especially if they are NFL fans, that they ought to give SIRI a try.

There are tons of reasons for a listener to chose either format, and I think both formats will be strong this year.

To address the sinking ship comment; it is true that SIRI has a much better growth curve right now over the last three quarters, and in percentage growth, a very strong pattern. But a big part of that is because of several announcements, etc. etc. as well as SIRIUS gaining ground in the OEM install markets. Last year at this time, XM laid claim to almost 70% of all OEM install partners. That's down to 60% or less now.

But we need to hop off this: only one can survive bit. I think both formats strongly benefit from the existance of the other. SIRI provides unique programming to one kind of audience, XM to another.

NASCAR fan? Right now you're XM (next year SIRI); NFL fan? Your SIRI. Baseball fan? Your XM. Oprah? XM. Stern? SIRI.

Hell, I'll admit, the prescence of "Car Talk" on SIRI probably has a lot more influence on me then Stern. But to each their own.

I will post in here questions and concerns about XM and SIRI, but I don't see a need to call for gloom and doom of either just yet.

Edit: Nice to see I joined in 1969. Damn, I remember that; it was just all of us hanging around a board, posting notes about whether or not diamond needles really made an improvement and if Patsy Cline played at 33RPM instead of 45 really sounded like a man singing the same song.

Ernie Estrella

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ernie
Chris,

I do think both services have their strengths and yes both need to thrive in order for each to grow. No matter what brings you in, you need to find what it is that best suits your listening habits. And once you try it, you're more than likely to find something else that's great about Satellite Radio.

It's nice to see people are continuing to find the gem that's NFL Radio. You won't find smarter, more informed sports talk than what's on this channel. Even the callers are intelligent. The personalities understand all the angles that need to be covered as well. This alone is worth my Sirius subscription by itself. ANd believe me, the off-season of the NFL is just as interesting as the season itself. Can't wait for the draft in a week!

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
I know that Ron does not need anyone to defend him but I'm going to do it anyway... :)

In short, you must be kidding. I've known Ron for many years, if you define "known" in the HTF sense of the word (i.e. sharing posts and emails). He has never, and I mean never praised anything that he did not truly feel was worthy. That goes for hardware, software, or services (such as XM Radio). In the past several years he has given both XM Radio and Sirius and honest shake. He was even a guest DJ for Sirius at one point (that's what he was alluding to in his post).

Please be careful what accusations you throw at Ron; he has always been a straight shooter. That's why so many people highly regard this forum. They respect the integrity of its administrators.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
I prefer Sirius to XM because of the football mainly, although XM does have the baseball which makes me want to subscribe for a million years right there.

It just sort of reminds me of a saying from the incomperable James E. Cornette: "That's why they have chocolate and vinilla, so I can have my good ice cream and you can have yours."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Listen guys, it has taken me a long time to get to the point where
I can actually say that we need both services.

If not for Sirius, there would be those of you frustrated with XM's
eclectic music line-up and vast playlists. If not for XM, there would
be those of you frustrated with Sirius' repetition and vastly short playlists.

The fact that one is totally opposite from the other gives listeners
a CHOICE of what kind of music they want to hear.....

...then there's the other things like sports and entertainment.

Yes, I am certainly very bias towards XM. I have a very bad personal
history with Sirius. Still, you can't say that I never considered the
feelings and opinions of Sirius listeners on this forum. A specific forum
area was created, and for the most part, I haven't gone in there to
troll my personal dislike for the other service. In fact, as long as there
isn't any "misinformation" posted over there, I stay out of the area.

I'm actually very happy that Sirius listeners spend their time on
this forum.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I don't like either service and think both are overpriced but the OP has just stated his opinion that Sirius is better. I can't read the opening statment here and come to the conclusion that he is a troll or works for Sirius or would benefit by having Sirius succeed or XM fail. I suspect both services are in trouble and paying Howard a large sum is a risky move in my opinion. His program became very tiring for me long ago.

Chris

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Christopher,

Are you having problems reading anything in
this thread? It's important to know as we are
working with new software and if there are display
issues I need to know about. Please describe any
problems you may be experiencing.

....and yeah, paying Howard Stern that sum of money
was not entirely the best move for Sirius. It brought
them in needed subscribers and for the first time put
them in real competition with XM. However, it is a known
fact that both companies have been spending far too much
money on talent despite the fact that neither is making a
profit at this point. Stocks for both companies have fallen
off sharply from their highs.

I think that IF people stay with satellite radio and aren't
detered by iPods or HD radio, I think that both companies
are going to see some positive growth in 2007. That is the
expected timeframe both XM and SIRIUS are due to profit.

Chris_T

Stunt Coordinator
Amen, Ron.

I'm a Sirius subscriber, but agree with you that both services are needed. The fact that we have a choice is the most important thing, not which service is better. There will never be a consences on which provider is better, but does there have to be? Each of us who have subcribed to satellite have done so for different reasons, whether it be Stern, O&A, the NFL, MLB, etc. But what we can agree on is that we got tired with "Free Radio" and the garbage that came along with it, whether it was the commercials or the repetition. Either way hopefully both services stay strong to help promote and give a better product for all.

Chris

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I think you misunderstood what he said. He basically said that he can't take the statement the OP made anything but a trollish statement, which I agree with. The guy doesn't make any arguments defending his statements.

I've long believed that we need both services as well, if just to keep the Sirius way of doing things on Sirius' side of the fence.

Course, I'm concerned by the recent direction of XM's programming. It bothers me a lot the tack toward catering to the mainstream and distincing themselves from the niche programming that attracted people in the first place. I'm not too far away from giving up hope on satellite radio.

Jason

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
--------------
If you dont like Howard Stern, ask yourself, "What the hell is the matter with me?"
--------------

Okay I asked. Ya know what? Absolutely nothing wrong with me. You probably could pay me to listen/watch that foul-mouthed idiot but it would be really expensive. You're welcome to your opinion of XM and Sirius. But that statement is stupid and insulting. I hope that's not typical of Sirius subscribers or Sirius is the one in deep trouble.

Brent T

Second Unit

Well I dont believe it is, however I do not think Sirius will be the one in trouble four years from now regardless of the intelligence of their subscribers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, Brent, your opinion certainly doesn't surprise me.

I have equally less faith in Sirius. But my opinion certainly
doesn't surprise you.

Brent T

Second Unit
LOL true Ron, however I do try to look at things from a business owner's point of view. But I do hope my belief in how Sirius is doing business doesnt cloud my judgement too much :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Brent,

My offer stands...

If you would be so kind, send me a modified version of the topic area
descriptions.

It's a sincere offer based on the fact that you seem to have a very good
idea of what those descriptions should be conveying.

Thanks!

I recently subscribed to Sirius (two days ago). I was given a receiver as a promotional offer when I bought a new deck for my car. I had heard that the sound quality was better with XM, but figured this was good way to trial satellite radio.

I read this thread because I'm reading all of the threads in the Satellite Radio forums. Right now, I'm not too sure if I'll keep the service beyond the one month that I've paid for. The content is fine and the sound quality is as good as you can get with an FM transmitter connection. However, I'm not too sure whether or not it is worth the $15/month. With an MP3 capable CD player, an iPod FM transmitter, and local FM programming, it is kind of hard to justify the subscription fee.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I feel what will place either service as the winner would have to be the content of their programming. Ron, I'm very curious about what happened during your visit to Sirius headquarters. Wouldn't a visit to XM yield the same type of behaviour? (Them trying to use your clout on the HTF to promote their service?)

{Edit}

Uh-oh. We Canadians don't have the ability to manage our Sirious accounts on-line. So if I want to drop the service I'm going to have to actually listen to "Please Don't Go" over and over again if I decide to pack it in at the end of my trial.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,

I knew from the beginning that the only reason Sirius had invited
me to their headquarters was because of my ties with this forum
and the fact that I had posted a very negative review of their
service and they wanted positive press.

When I got there, they made all these promises to me that they