Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

"The Hanging Tree" when?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 06:31 AM

Warner Bros. is listed as the studio. I would have thought this would be out by now. Has anyone heard anything?

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 09:30 AM

I seem to recall that it was mentioned in the WB chat as being part of the Gary Cooper collection?
Charles Hoyt

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 11:03 AM

Jim, are you related to a certain person heavily involved in the "Hanging Tree" soundtrack?!

Also, does anyone know what made the early-'90s VHS issue of this movie so fantastically rare? Was it withdrawn because of music-rights issues? The movie also hasn't turned up on TV in years, as far as I know.

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim Robbins

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 01:31 PM

No Dan, just one who remembers how good this film was. I remember George C. Scott remarking after they find Maria Schell, "I hear she's a foreign woman. Is she loose virtued?" Great musical score.

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Dan McW

Dan McW

Second Unit

• 346 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 09:49 AM

This thread caused me to dig out my copy of the film and watch it with my dad last night. The Max Steiner score is outstanding, as is the Mack David/Jerry Livingston title song. One nice touch comes at the end, as the guitar in the title song is heard faintly in the background for several seconds before the final chorus kicks in. Great final shots too.

Scott, as an alcohol-fueled preacher, makes a strong impression in his first credited film role. When confronted by him, Coop grabs the bottle from him and tells everyone, "Here's his bible!"

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,413 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted April 23 2006 - 06:00 AM

I haven't seen this movie in ages, what a great one it is. I still remember Brandon de Wile telling the gossip monger something to the effect of "you're lower than a snakes belly!" That got to me when I saw this movie as a kid.

I still remember the final scene as Coop bends down to Maria. Great flick. Great title song.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Robbins
Warner Bros. is listed as the studio. I would have thought this would be out by now. Has anyone heard anything?

WB said in the HTF chat that it would be released this year in the Gary Cooper Collection, along with Sergeant York.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,413 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted July 01 2009 - 08:26 AM

I'm resurrecting this thread to find out why this movie is not available on DVD, let alone blu.  Who the heck owns this and is keeping the world from a great movie.

Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   Jim Bur

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted July 01 2009 - 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell View Post

I'm resurrecting this thread to find out why this movie is not available on DVD, let alone blu.  Who the heck owns this and is keeping the world from a great movie.

My recollection is that the reason given was that Waners only owns a part interest in the film and Cooper's estate owns a part interest.  It is claimed that the film needs extensive restoration work. One might surmize that Warners might feel it would be a poor financial decision to incur the cost of an expensive restoration when it will only get back a fractional return on their investment, since it has to share with the Cooper estate.   I

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,262 posts

Posted July 05 2009 - 04:56 PM

It might turn up quietly as a title in the ARCHIVE series. Hell, I didn't know GREEN MANSIONS was out until I saw that ClassicFlix had a rental copy of it.

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   Lutz Koch

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator

• 51 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 02:31 AM

I just wanted to add that THE HANGING TREE was released by WB in Germany as a R2 edition in 2006. I'm not sure if it was released in any other R2 countries. Anyway, the bad news is that it is not anamorphically enhanced, but it's better than nothing. Of course, if there should ever be an enhanced edition, I'll buy it again.  It's one of my favorite movies with one of my favorite scores. If only Film Score Monthly could produce a soundtrack CD...

www.amazon.de/gp/product/images/B000JVT0HO/sr=1-1/qid=1246889562/ref=dp_image_0

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   Livius

Livius

Second Unit

• 407 posts

Posted July 06 2009 - 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutz Koch ">

I just wanted to add that THE HANGING TREE was released by WB in Germany as a R2 edition in 2006. I'm not sure if it was released in any other R2 countries. Anyway, the bad news is that it is not anamorphically enhanced, but it's better than nothing. Of course, if there should ever be an enhanced edition, I'll buy it again.  It's one of my favorite movies with one of my favorite scores. If only Film Score Monthly could produce a soundtrack CD...

Riding the High Country - My Movie Blog