Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yea!!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 18 2006 - 02:43 AM

Nothing really to say, just glad to see the forum back and running. Serenity HD-DVD awaits at Best Buy... gotta run! - Steve

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 04:35 AM

Steve, got a copy (hopefully) waiting for me too. Ordered it this morning for store pick up. Just waiting for that email that says come and get it.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 08:11 AM

Please, keep us informed on the quality. I'm pretty sure 99% of us is waiting for reviews with bated breathe
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 18 2006 - 08:47 AM

I am going to spin the DVD in an upscaling 1080i player and A/B it to the HD-DVD. As for the HD-DVD... I am liking it so far. I need to review my review and dig into the recesses of my recollection of the the theatrical screenings to recall some specific scenes. As it stands, I do believe that Serenity absolutely captures the theatrical look. - Steve

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,825 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted April 18 2006 - 01:23 PM

I compared the supps listings on the SD and HD DVDs--it looks like there's something on the Serenity HD that isn't on the SD . . .??

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Craig Sherman

Craig Sherman

Stunt Coordinator

• 176 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 02:38 PM

To whomever gets to be the first to review Joss Whedon's opus on this forum, please include this as a headline:

Posted Image

SERENITY NOW!!!!

Thank you.

BOMM,

CS

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 18 2006 - 03:02 PM

What is it? - Steve

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 18 2006 - 03:12 PM

I'll comment about Serenity here, but leave the official review to Sam. It's his gig now. I pulled out the Serenity DVD and plugged it into the Helios 2085, which upscales to 1080i. I then plugged in the Serenity HD-DVD into the Toshiba HD-A1, also at 1080i. Both players are fed into a Score System Selector Pro 2.0 for component video switching, which is then directed to the DTV component input of my television. Synchronization is just about perfect. Switching is very fast using the SSP remote. The Serenity DVD transfer is very good. Color rendition, contrast, and shadow detail are all top-notch. It is clearly taken from the same master as the HD-DVD. To the qualities of the DVD, the HD-DVD adds definite enhanced detail. It can be subtle unless you are looking for it--but fabric, textures, hair, accessories and backgrounds all show it. Increased detail is not subtle on ships--edges are bright, and well-defined. Star fields are outstanding (another example of the great handling of blacks in this player). Another scene that stood out was the security video taken in the bar where River opened a can of whoop-ass on the patrons. On the HD-DVD, you can see the line structure in the security video--it is almost not discernable on the SD version. But more often than not, the depth of field in Serenity does not demonstrate deep focus--Phantom was clearly different (pun intended) with slow, panning camera moves and static shots that had real eye candy appeal. Serenity, on the other hand, is not as flashy, not quite the eye candy experience, but it does bring back recollections of the theatrical quality and experience. It is also a heck of a good movie. I did not focus as much on the sound, but it is definitely authored at a higher level than Phantom or Samurai. The key difference is that there are no sound effects when you pull up a menu while the movie is playing. Warner should stop this... Features are identical between discs, although I can not find the Fruity Oaty Bar Easter Egg on the HD-DVD. Meanwhile, Universal has an absolute hit here--a good movie, with a nice transfer, and good sound. This is the perfect first-day release for HD-DVD. - Steve

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Tim Glover

Tim Glover

Lead Actor

• 7,815 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 03:30 PM

Good stuff Steve. I always like reading your posts. You're a movie fan but objective...just like the good ole days of DVD Resource Page. My first home theater/dvd internet site I ever hit.

Thanks for the summary. Looks like HD-DVD, even with a few bugs to work out, is a hit. Bill Hunt from the Bits has good stuff to say from his early report as well.

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,550 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 18 2006 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I have not been this excited about a product since, well, DVD! - Steve

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 01:36 AM

I could not agree more with you, this is very exciting. Nice review too! Pretty much spot on.

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 03:13 AM

Since I haven't watched one episode of Firefly, I wasn't going to pick up Serenity...but the HD DVD lure is tremendous, and after watching POTO and TLS, I need more...NOW! Will be looking for this one later today.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Paul.S

Paul.S

Producer

• 3,825 posts
  • LocationHollywood, California

Posted April 21 2006 - 03:29 AM

Steve, the blurbs on the back of the HD I was referring to that I didn't see on the back of the SD are "Future History: The Story of Earth That Was" and "What's in a Firefly." While the Forum was down, I got word from someone else that, although not explicitly referenced on the back of the SD box, these supps are indeed on there and are not new to the HD. Can you confirm?

#14 of 28 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,421 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 21 2006 - 05:28 AM

Thanks for the review Steve, although I disagree about the film as I thought Serenity was the worst film released last year. Glad to see that you were happy with the HD presentation, which bodes well for the future of the format.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 08:48 AM

Me, too! Posted Image

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan

• 3,192 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 09:13 AM

"Since I haven't watched one episode of Firefly, I wasn't going to pick up Serenity..." Don't worry, the film was made to tell a story that does not require you have to seen the show. Everything you need to know to understand it is in the film, just like any other well written film. And it is a very good movie. Check it out. Looks great in Hi-Def too! P.S. Where are all the features for posting like italics, bold, quote, etc.... WHen I made this post there were no "specialized? options available to me. Not even spell checker.
I don't believe in transcending the genre, I believe IN the genre - Joss Whedon

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 11:58 AM

I just picked up Million Dollar Baby at Best Buy. They didn't have it on the floor, but the guy went to the back and brought it out to me. They also already had Apollo 13 in stock, but couldn't sell it till Tuesday.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 12:47 PM

Apollo 13 and Doom are on my list for Tuesday.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 19,070 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 22 2006 - 01:36 AM

If only that was the case. Universal is declining to send review media out. I will be doing an INFORMAL review of Serenity late this weekend (I have both a wedding today and a computer show tomorrow, and it took till Friday to get a confirmationt that they officially would not be sending out any review disks). Until then, Steve's initial impressions will have to suffice =) So, there wont be an official thread and I will post whatever I can in THIS thread. Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#20 of 28 ONLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 6,421 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted April 22 2006 - 04:18 AM

Sorry Sean, but I disagree with everything you said and I would definitely recommend a rental of Serenity first..lest you be disappointed completely as I was buying it blindly. Imo, it does not hold up on it's own and definitely requires seeing the show first...as many fans have told me. Doubt that would change my opinion though. Terrible film.

But...ya never know. Perhaps a Hi-Def viewing might help.Posted Image
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users