What's new

Desperate Housewives S2 (1 Viewer)

andyEckles

Agent
Anyone planning on buying this this fall? I don't think I've ever been so disappointed in the second season of a show before. Usually, in my opinion, shows get better for the first few years, then start their decline in later seasons. This show just went from great to awful. I wonder if the DVD sales will show it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen the show but there's always a pretty big drop off between the first release and the second anyway so it may not be that indicative. I don't know too many people who think that Seinfeld was at its best in S1 and S2 but that's outsold all their other seasons. :)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
They made a huge mistake by not keeping up the quality this season. I'm not sure what the problem was. They had incredible momentum storyline and ratings wise. I've really lost interest and am not even sure what's going on with some of the stories. I'll get the 2nd season box set but only when I can find it cheap. It won't be a first priority for me like the fabulous first season was.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I never watched this show while broadcast.. I did win a copy of Season 1 on DVD... and I enjoyed it... I didn't watch Season 2 because I decided to just wait for the DVDs... I will still pick them up to see what I think.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I think S2 is getting better again - Marc Cherry has admitted they had made some mistakes. I feel Alfre is completely wasted on this show. I have enjoyed the episodes though. They are good entertainment on Sunday nights, especially considering good TV is extremely hard to come by these days. I would never buy the DVDs though - for me they wouldn't have any replay value. I'll stick with my other Marc Cherry written show that I'll never tire of on DVD - The Golden Girls.

Andy

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm I wonder if LOST: Season 2 will release the same day like Season 1 of both series did.

Either way I agree the show has seemed to lose some of it's focus, etc. Either way the first Season set was a very nice/quality piece of entertainment so I hope they keep it up for this release.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The quality did improve mid-season. DH's doing well right now. I hope they don't release this disk the same day as Lost. Why would ABC want everyone spending all that money on one day, when they can break it out over a couple of weeks.

For quality drop-offs, nothing fell faster than the OC. There's rumors that this once-mighty show might not even have a 4th season. I think the appeal of DH, however, is strong enough to keep it around 6 seasons or more. Plus, it's one of those ensemble shows where if one of the stars gets too big for their britches and leaves, they can always add another housewife.

Jay*W

Second Unit
Season 1 of LOST and Season 1 of DH were not released the same day. There was a two week difference, if I recall correctly.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter

You would be correct, infact there was a $10 off desperate housewives coupon included with the lost set.

MarcoAD

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh, my mistake. Either way hopefully this gives some idea as to when LOST: S2 MAY be released.

julienUK

Stunt Coordinator
I did struggled until about episode 10 or something, where the show became superb again. I like this season, even if the beginning of it was real slow.

Can't wait to see the dvds.
:)

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I started watching this show from Day 1, and hated it when I had to wait for repeats (just like many people felt with Lost repeats). This season, I find myself watching mainly out of habit, but everytime I hear Mary Alice's narration, I am one step closer to dropping this show. If she is back in season 3, I'm done with this show.

I think the show lives from its hype more than the show itself. And the hype has affected my enjoyment of the show.

Johnny S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I will be getting this one. Season 1 was a blind-buy for me & I really enjoyed it, but by the time I got it season 2 had already premiered. So these will be all new to me. (I have heard that S2 has not been that good, but I have also heard it has recently picked up.) So I can't wait for this release...

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I don't think she's going anywhere soon! Technically the end of season 1 would've been the place to let her "rest in peace" if they were dropping her but really she's as much a character as any of the other women on the show and I for one like how it's almost as if she's reading us a bedtime story each episode!

I've enjoyed season 2 and will be getting it on dvd. It was uneven to start with but with the (very obvious and sudden) changes it streamlined itself somewhat and is frankly great again (and the early part of the season is still not what I would exactly call "bad"). This season is full of delicious little moments rather than having one big cohesive mystery that helped keep the show driving forward in season 1.

I think to some extent it is certainly a victim of it's own huge world-wide success but also guilty of trying too hard to cram in too much (that turned out to be inconsequential) and top what was a rather uniquely ingenious first season. I just hope the dvd set will be honest enough to address some of that, either in commentaries with Marc Cherry or in a featurette! They hit a stumbling block by (quite rightly) concluding the "big mystery" in Season 1 but not having anything strong enough to replace it with in Season 2. They should take a cue from the Veronica Mars school of "big ideas", they certainly know how to keep it interesting for an entire second season! ;)

I agree with Ethan Riley though. No other show in recent memory has plummeted as fast as "The OC". What went so wrong there?!

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
My pick would be the initial Season 2 poster, which would compliment the Season 1 package, yet make it stand apart at the same time:

andyEckles

Agent
Richard,
Just out of curiosity, where was it in season 2 that you saw the "obvious and sudden" change in quality? I've been really trying to like this season but I think it's just plain boring. This year seems more of a comedy than a drama. I know, it's technically a "satire" with a lot of comedic elements, but it seems the show is now built around Susan's clumsiness. I miss the drama and mystery from last year.

The O.C. did decline fast, didn't it? I think because they wrote their characters into a corner with nowhere for them to go. The only promising thing about it is Taylor.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
Mary Alice's narration is part of the show, deal with it. I don't think the show would be the same without her... it'd be like how Seinfeld felt "different" in the last season or two when the stand-up footage was completely excised

. All in all, the show seems more alive again after going through the motions for much of the first half of the season.

About it being too comical? doesn't bother me, I like the comedic elements to the show, it gives it a higher rewatchability that most prime-time soaps lack.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The initial novelty of the housewives did indeed wear off early in season two, but the writing is solid and the storyline seems to be moving along nicely. I have no regrets with the show. Lots of shows go through "sophomore slump" anyway. But the O.C... I have a strange theory about why it doesn't work. If you watch it closely, you may (or may not) notice that it somehow manages to combine elements of practically every primetime soap in history. It's equal parts 90210, Melrose Place, Knot's Landing, Dawson's Creek, Dynasty...you name it....it's THERE. I think eventually the fans started getting a weird sense of deja vu and dumped it. It's hard to make a wholly original soap these days, although DH managed. It does have stuff in common with Knot's Landing, being all the neighbors on the street know each other, but other than that the writing and direction are completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks