-

Photo
- - - - -

what have I gotten myself into????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 of 12 OFFLINE   scottNA

scottNA

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 16 2006 - 02:42 AM

About 2 weeks ago I was asked by one of my friends if I knew of anyone that was interested in a 6 month old Dell 2300mp projector for $600.I asked around and know one I knew was interested.
I thought about it a couple of days and decided to check it out myself.I called him and he had me come over and watch a movie.Thats all it took, about 2 seconds into the movie I knew I had to have.
While watching the movie in my head I was thinking of what room I was going to have it in ,what kind of speaker system I was going to have?What kind of furniture?ect...
I bought the projector and rushed it home to show everyone.I acted as if this projector was the ultimate toy of every mans dreams.I didn't get the exciting response that I hoped for when I got home.My wife looked at me as if we really needed something like that.
That night I set it up and we watch our first movie.My wife and kids were so happy I got the projector and to watch a movie on a 4'x8' screen.(I have a sheet of sheet rock clamped to a saw horse in our living room for our screen).
I used our speaker system from our computer and it worked but I knew I had to have a surround sound.
The next day I went out shopping for a surround sound system.I was planning on something cheap to start off with($50-$100)Until we get our theater room done and get a nice system. So Iwent to walmart to get a system and when I got there I did a comparison.Well I guess I don't have to tell you people that in the price range I was looking for sounded like cr@p.I wasn't sold on any of the systems at walmart so I went down to the local store and ended up getting the RCA st2680.
I rushed it home and hooked it up the invited my parents over to watch King Kong last night and what a difference the sound makes.

I guess I better get started with the theater room because with temp sheetrock screen and and all the speaker wires taped to the floor our living room looks pretty bad.

Well thats my story to my new obsession and I wanted to say hello to everyone and looking forward to sharing helpful info.

#2 of 12 OFFLINE   GregDas

GregDas

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted April 16 2006 - 09:43 AM

Hello there.. and welcome to your new obsession.
Make sure you take pics of the theater room as you get it done and put them in the Gallery area for all to see.

Soon, you'll have hundreds of DVD's and you'll be re-watching all of your favorites you haven't seen in a while.

Greg

#3 of 12 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted April 17 2006 - 07:05 AM

Welcome to the Forum Scott, and congrats on your projector! Posted Image

Quote:
Well I guess I don't have to tell you people that in the price range I was looking for sounded like cr@p.I wasn't sold on any of the systems at walmart so I went down to the local store and ended up getting the RCA st2680.
Hate to ruin your day, Scott, since you’re new here and all, but you can do soo-o-o much better than that RCA system in the audio department. It’s not even entry-level for most of us here. Posted Image I hesitate to send you to your local Tweeter or other home theater specialty store, since your budget is so low, but if you do you’ll hear what an amazing improvement in audio you can realize. However, given your wife’s reaction to the projector, that might be a recipe for divorce court. Posted Image

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 12 OFFLINE   Mattak

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator

• 247 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 03:17 PM

Just wait til you're building your own speakers and sanding and lacquering them in your living room because there's not enough room in the garage Posted Image

#5 of 12 OFFLINE   Mike Mitrook

Mike Mitrook

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 06:26 AM

Welcome on board. Just to warn you, it is never ending. I just upgraded my speakers across the front and am already thinking I'll need to do the surrounds next to keep pace. It all started with a 20" tv, stereo receiver & HiFi VCR. Needless to say it's nowhere close to that now...

#6 of 12 OFFLINE   scottNA

scottNA

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattak
Just wait til you're building your own speakers and sanding and lacquering them in your living room because there's not enough room in the garage Posted Image

I do alot of woodworking and would like to build my own speakers.I know its more to it than just building a box and throwing a speaker in it.So wher can I find imfo on DIY speakers?

#7 of 12 OFFLINE   JeffCar

JeffCar

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted April 26 2006 - 01:17 AM

Scott, look here in the DUY forum - http://www.hometheat....splay.php?f=20 There are lots of people building things there. Welcome to the madness.

Jeff

#8 of 12 OFFLINE   todbnla

todbnla

Screenwriter

• 1,521 posts
  • Location39466

Posted April 27 2006 - 05:29 AM

WELCOME to the never ending Upgrade-itis Club, you will love the ride, just get a second job or win the lotto...Posted Image
Regards,
Todd

My Blue-Ray & SD DVD's

Current HT setup: Vizio E601-A3 60" Led display, Pioneer VSX-521-k, Panasonic DMP-BDT320 Integrated Wi-Fi 3D Blu-ray DVD Player, SVS 2531PCi sub, Polk R30 mains, Polk CS125 center, Polk R15 x4 rears

#9 of 12 OFFLINE   KurtJ

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator

• 80 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 05:17 AM

I hope you enjoy your new hobby. But beware, be prepared for the wife's questions, like, 'do you really NEED that tool to make your...(whatever)? pretty soon your contractor saw will not be enough and you'll want a router, planer, jointer, and clamps. you can never have enough clamps

#10 of 12 OFFLINE   Travis

Travis

Second Unit

• 258 posts

Posted May 09 2006 - 03:13 AM

Welcome. I would recommend sitting down, if you haven't done so already, and putting together a budget. After you have your budget figured out; double it, add 1,000, double it again, and you'll be pretty close to the final amount. Posted Image

#11 of 12 OFFLINE   KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted May 14 2006 - 01:56 AM

I thought I was done last year August with a big screen. Now I've got a better big screen and still need to paint the room, acoustic treatments, build the second sub, build the final audio rack, build a screen, it never ends.

#12 of 12 OFFLINE   JawhnM

JawhnM

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted May 15 2006 - 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregDas
Make sure you take pics of the theater room as you get it done and put them in the Gallery area for all to see.

I'd actually like to see pics of your current setup (brings back memories).
If the Theater is a Rockin, don't come a Knockin!

My Home Theater

Forum Nav Content I Follow