-

Photo
- - - - -

Doctor Who 2005 - Season 2 (UK broadcast)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 01:34 PM

So, any opinions on the season opener?

Not the best episode of the series, but not the worst either. And I had already guessed how the main villain could have survived the last enounter.

Decontamination was certainly funny. You don't see that approach to often in sci-fi productions! Posted Image

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Jonathan White

Jonathan White

Stunt Coordinator

• 209 posts

Posted April 16 2006 - 08:40 AM

It had its moments but overall I was disappointed with it. I know its going to get better I just wished it was a stonger episode.

It seems to have done well though with ratings.

http://news.bbc.co.u...ent/4914294.stm

Next weeks episode looks like a good one though.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted April 17 2006 - 06:04 AM

It wasnt a bad episode - not great, but it was no Horns of Nimon either. And frankly I wasnt expecting much - since when is the opening story for ANY new Doctor any good? You have to go all the way back to Spearhead From Space for that.

Naw, theyre just warming up. This is just the appitizer.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted April 17 2006 - 06:50 AM

Sorry to be the dissenting voice, but I loved it. I think they got the new Doctor well bedded-in, Ms Piper was allowed to act a wider range, and it set the scene nicely for the rest of the series.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted April 17 2006 - 11:49 AM

Personally, I can't wait for the third episode! Sarah Jane Smith! And what will we learn on that episode? My guesses are that Micky was one of her more troublesome pupils, and that Micky will be the only one to figure out how to properly fix K-9. The doctor originally built it from a kit, not from scratch -- or was that the Mark II?

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 02:19 AM

Pretty lousy, but it had its good moments too. The cat make-up was excellent, in contrast to the CGI. I could pick holes in the plot all day, but I won't, because it wasn't trying to be any more than a frothy series opener. On a superficial level I enjoyed it. But Billie Piper is still carrying the show.

However, I liked the incidental music a lot. Posted Image

Next week's looks a lot better.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   MattCleary

MattCleary

Stunt Coordinator

• 90 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 01:06 PM

CGI did look pretty rough... As a former Brit, trust me, I've seen the worst the BBC has to offer on a weekly basis for twentyone years Posted Image

Looking forward to the Peter Kay episode Posted Image

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted April 22 2006 - 09:42 PM

Yes, a much better episode this week. 7/10.
CGI was improved too.
The biggest problem these eps have is that they don't have the time to build up a really good story. But I look forward to the two-parters.

Two old friends back next week, and Tony Head standing next to a door marked "MASTER", he-he. Posted Image

Was this the first one of the new series without any sort of sexual innuendo? Don't know what RTD was smoking, but bravo! Posted Image

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted April 23 2006 - 01:39 AM

Quote:
Was this the first one of the new series without any sort of sexual innuendo? Don't know what RTD was smoking, but bravo!

Then again, the werewolf was naked... Posted Image

Definitely a better episode than last week's opener. I especially liked the washed-out color scheme and the high shutter speed, making the episode seem more surreal. But honestly. Did anyone here not think that the telescope-like device wasn't going to be used for the dramatic finish at some point in time?

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,686 posts

Posted April 24 2006 - 03:55 AM

I figured out the diamond+telescope=laser about two seconds before the Doctor did, so I'm pleased with myself.

Very enjoyable episode. It's nice to see the classic Who "Base Under Siege" story alive and well in the 21st century. In fact, I thought the episode had very close paraells to The Horror of Fang Rock - isolated region with a history of supernatural goings on is besiged by a shapeshifting alien who is done in by a giant diamond powered laser.

I also think I've sussed out the "theme" of the season. The Doctor (and Rose) are . . . well, for lack of a better term, unprofessional. He's arrogant ("You want to take it up with a higher authority? Well, it stops with me!" from New Earth) and Rose's Childish fixation with the "We are not amused" even after dozens of people have been killed. The Queen hit it dead on the head - the Doctor is riding for a BIG fall if he keeps this up. . . .

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 02:08 PM

This week's episode had a lot of interesting stuff. First, the series continued with the consequences of the doctor's actions such as leaving a companion i.e. Sarah Jane Smith behind without even so much as a good bye. Second, it's Rose facing the hard reality that she was not the first companion. Third, no one besides Micky realized that people could call Rose even though it was clearly demonstrated last season that she could call them!

Fourth, maybe it would be better if props from the original series remained in the original series. Posted Image

I'm sorry, but that "dog" was incredibly lame! Then again, it did help out a lot by stating the obvious. "We-are-in-a-car."

Anyways, it still was a very entertaining episode. Time flew pretty fast with this one.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   PhilipG

PhilipG

Screenwriter

• 2,003 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 04:12 PM

I loved this episode. Probably my favourite of the new Who. Great script, direction, music, and cast.

Wonderful to see Liz Sladen back, and hasn't she aged well?! 58! Amazing.

Sarah-Jane's catfights with Rose were hilarious. Especially when they tried to out-trump each other on enemies. "The Loch-Ness Monster!" Posted Image

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   nickGreenwood

nickGreenwood

Second Unit

• 494 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 01:18 AM

Anthony Head was fantastic in the episode. I haven't seen much of the old Doctor Who but this was great, for him to recognize Sarah Jane first and him being proud of her. Mickey was great in this, he's actually become a decent character now, I loved the parts of him comparing himself to "a tin dog". Glad to see that we're going to get more stories with him.
David Tennant is doing great, I mean, Christopher was easily a great Doctor, one of my favorites, but David is doing a good job being his own version of the Doctor while taking on all the quirks of the previous Doctors. I think I like David more than Christopher at this point.
Billie Piper, she's hot, and she's a good actress, I with Philip the out-trump each other scene with Sarah Jane was classic and the laughing with one another especially at the quirks of the Doctor was a good moment. I loved it when he was all confused as to why they were laughing.

Good episode, next week's looks weird.
-Nick G.

"The number of people whose permission I need before I can do whatever the hell I want..." - Josh Lyman

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   Francois Caron

Francois Caron

Screenwriter

• 2,145 posts

Posted May 01 2006 - 04:24 AM

Quote:
I loved it when he was all confused as to why they were laughing.

IIRC from the commentary, David had a mustache painted on his face so the girls would giggle even more.

Forum Nav Content I Follow