Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Suggestions for eventual hi-def Wizard of Oz

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted April 15 2006 - 08:19 AM

The current dvd of The Wizard of Oz is spectacular, but a few minor additions/changes could help to make the hi-def release definitive:

1. Further work on the Kansas scenes. There are still fine scratches evident, especially during the opening credits.

2. The 1998 WB release featured stencil printing during the trasition from sepia tone to Technicolor. While there is some debate as to whether or not the technique was used, the effect on the original WB release was more pleasing to the eye.

3. An unaltered mono track (the current release features three minor changes, the most notable of which is the deletion of a partial line.)

4. Minor cleanup to the Technicolor portion of the film. I noticed a few blemishes (red lines) that may have been there from the beginning.

5. Of course, no noticeable layer change.

6. Extras could include a virtual tour of the Land of Oz, complete Denslow illustrations from the book, more production stills, NBC and CBS bumpers (I am trying to remember the commercial bumpers from the early 1980's. I seem to remember a pulsating rainbow over a white background and "Over the Rainbow" music playing.) and a history of the various Oz film productions.

The current release is one of the best dvds ever, and I heartily recommend it. I'm just hoping my favorite film can be further tweaked to create the definitive Oz experience in high-defintion.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 17 2006 - 06:33 AM

It would be a title to prompt my entry into HD.
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted April 17 2006 - 06:39 AM

Moving to HD S/W.
"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,215 posts

Posted April 18 2006 - 02:44 AM

I agree with your suggestions, Scott. Especially those directed towards the television broadcasts. There's a gold mine of treasures that could potentially be tracked down. I wonder if the Dick van Dyke intros still exist from I believe the 1960's? Also back I believe 1996, there were many celebs who added little bumpers to the film for the 40th anniversary of the first TV broadcast. Those would be nice to see too.

Andy