What's new

Double Indemnity 2 disc from Universal in August (2 Viewers)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Thanks Universal, it's taken you long enough!

I'm looking forward to this one :)

Cheers John :emoji_thumbsup:

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news.

With this release I hope Universal picks up their noir line again. They have some very good flicks left in the vault such as The Glass Key, The Blue Dahlia, Ministry of Fear, Phantom Lady just to name a few.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This is one of my most wanted titles. However, I won't be getting rid of my Image disc any time soon. Universal almost always finds a way to disappoint.:frowning:

I'm going to try and stay optimistic about this title. Anybody have any guess what they might put on the second disc?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yep, not to sound overly cynical... but I'll believe it when I see it!

Still, I'm excited to hear updates!

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Me too Eric, as much as I don't like my Image disc, I don't think I'll be getting rid of it until August is a bit closer. Hopefully there's a featurette on the second disc as to why they've neglected perhaps one of the greatest noir's (and Wilder's best film IMO).

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

From my readings on Wilder, he hated the term "Cynical", and preferred to call himself a "Realist". I think history has pretty much proven him to be right!:)

Charles H

Screenwriter
The multi-packs that Universal has been releasing recently have been confined to stars (Carole Lombard), directors (Cecil B. DeMille), or franchises (the "Airport" movies). It's a shame that they have done away with their westerns line and their one wave of film noir (4 films without DOUBLE INDEMNITY, pulled at the last minute) since WB and Fox have done such terrific work with their noir lines.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I understand (from the Mobius Home Video Forum) that L.A. CONFIDENTIAL author James Ellroy is contributing to this disc.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
To ensure my disappointment, I'm going to come up with a list of extras that I would love to see.

Disc 1
  • Print restored from original negative (Does this even exist?) I know that this came over from Parmount, so I don't what existing elements there are.
  • Commentary #1 - Wilder biographer talking about the making of the film.
  • Commentary #2 - Literary expert talking about the James M. Cain Novel, and the changes that were made by Chandler & Wilder, emphasizing on the input from Chandler.

Disc 2
  • New comprehensive documentary talking about all aspects of the development including acting, writing, scoring (Rozsa), etc..
  • Mini Bio documentaries on the principal actors (Stanywyck, MacMurray, & Eddie G.)
  • 1973 TV version with Richard Crenna & Lee J. Cobb
  • Original Gas Chamber ending (not integrated though!)
  • Theatrical trailers (Original & Re-release)

That would make this DVD of the year. However, we'll probably just get some Today show interviews from the 70s.:D

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I'd love that too, but holding it's exclusion against Universal really wouldn't be fair, since it's lost. It would be like expecting them to have a Billy Wilder commentary. :) Though the commentary you mention is a fair request.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
I initially misread the thread title; I thought there was a sequel to Double Indemnity coming out in August.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Don...are you related to Kelly Pickler?
:D

(Check the American Idol thread in the TV Forum if you don't know who she is...)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Cameron Crowe has hours of Billy Wilder on audio tape discussing his oveure, and crowe has previously commented that he would be willing to license these tapes out for use on dvd commentary tracks.
so far, no one has taken him up on the offer, but he does have some previous experience with Universal (contributing to the commentary track for Fast Times.. several years ago).
so there actually is a chance for a 'Wilder' commentary.
slim, yes, but...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

That's what I thought, too. Straight-to-video sequel? Maybe it'll star C. Thomas Howell and Shannon Tweed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks