What's new

Jesus of Nazareth (1977) (2 Viewers)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I wish the best screen version of the life of Jesus would be re-released in a better dvd edition. This is what I would like to see:

1. The mini-series presented in four-episodes from its extended 1979 telecast. The History Channel continues to show it in its original four-part form. I would like all four parts to include opening and end credits as well as previews and recaps for each episode.

2. The film should be remastered from film elements and not video tape, like the last release was.

3. Audio commentary from director Franco Zefferelli and star Robert Powell, as well as other cast members.

4. A making of documentary including interviews with cast members, particularly Powell, Olivia Hussey, Michael York, James Farentino, and Ian McShane.

5. A documentary detailing the life of Jesus.

6. Maps and pictures of the Holy Land.

7. Original NBC promos, if available (I know that I have the complete 1990 NBC broadcast with bumpers.)

8. Production stills (many of which show up on the internet.)

9. A list of scenes added for the 1979 re-broadcast, which featured a ton of additional footage not seen in its initial 1977 airing.

This would be a great three-disc set that would sell well, particulary in Christian bookstores. With the success of The Passion of the Christ, the time is right to revisit the definitive epic of Jesus.

Robert Saccone

Premium
I recently saw the current release in Borders. The package states it is a modified fullscreen to fit your tv (or something close to that effect). Anyone know what the proper aspect ratio of this film should be?

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The film was made for television, although it was briefly released in European theatres. However, the 1990 broadcast that I have on tape shows quite a bit more picture information on all four sides. The dvd seems to have been zoomed in (I also noticed this with Lonesome Dove.) To further complicate matters, the four-part version shown on The History Channel is cropped virtually identical to the dvd. So, I would say that 1.33:1 is the appropriate AR if the film is not zoomed in.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
On R2 it's also released in a truncated form (from Carlton), however, it being an ITC production it's now owned by the UK company Network. They release tons of great cult TV stuff, often full of delicious extras, and since they didn't release it this Easter I'm hoping they'll do so next year. Remastered and restored, it's afterall its 30th anniversary then. Their site is at http://www.networkdvd.co.uk/.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I hate to contradict you, but the absolute original is in a single continuous piece (what I think was referred to as the 'truncated' form). It was originally a prestige piece for ITV (basically, a confederation of all the UK commercial channels of the time). In its original UK broadcast, it was shown without adverts.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I would still like the four-part version, as one of the openings has credits featuring footage not found in the film (an extended scene of Jesus surrounded by hundreds of followers.) And I didn't mean absolute original, sorry if it came across that way. I meant that it was the most complete U.S. version, the re-broadcast from 1979. Incidentally, the current dvd does feature a couple of shots not found in the NBC broadcast....two shots of Egypt after the Holy family has left for Nazareth.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
If we're in luck, and if Network (R2) are up to their usual high standards, we should see the ultimate presentation of it in a not too distant future... :star:
(They performed remastering wonders with their "Space:1999" release, recently.)

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
CBC French (Radio-Canada) aired this in the past week, and the picture quality was almost pristine. Looked like a remaster from the original negatives. Not the faded, messy film prints used for the Artisan DVD.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
One other thing I noticed with the current dvd. There is a bad splice at around 52:00 on disc three, when Jesus enters the temple. The music jumps as well. I checked my 1990 tape and, although there are some bad tears in the frames, they are included. Here's hoping that is corrected in any future releases.

This was released in Mexico and is coming to blu in Germany next month. The Mexico blu-ray has been confirmed by a viewer to being completely restored and presented in its 4 part version, including recaps! I emailed LionsGate and they said there are no plans to release this in the U.S. The version from Mexico is Region A.

I just learned from the person who received the blu-ray that each episode also contains the "Next on Jesus of Nazareth" preview teasers and "Last on Jesus of Nazareth" recaps! He also said that the film has been cleaned up considerably and that there is a special feature containing stills from the film set over the show's theme music. I am so excited...I'll have to get this if there is no U.S. release.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I really love this TV mini-series too, Robert Powell gives one of the finest performances ever given by a lead actor on film anywhere. Period. It's probably in the Top 20, and I'll gladly admit at times I even think it is the best.

I totally agree. Powell became Jesus...it was so good it was eerie. I forgot I was watching a performance and it was as if I was transported back to that period in history. Best male acting performance ever.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
yes, this miniseries was one of the best ever made. I would love to see it on dvd. I am a miniseries fan, like thornbirds or roots or rich man poor man or winds of war or shogun, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks