10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted April 12 2006 - 09:51 PM

DVD Times has news of Will Rogers Collection Vol.1 in July, good news for fans of Mr Rogers (and Mr Ford):

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the Will Rogers Collection Volume 1 for 25th July 2006 priced at $59.98 SRP. This collection includes the last four films of Will Rogers career, released both before and after his death in 1935.

Life Begins At Forty
Full Frame Feature
Commentary by Anthony Slide
Restoration Comparison (3:00)
Trailer

Steamboat Round The Bend
Full Frame Feature
Commentary by Scott Eyman
Trailer

Doubting Thomas
Full Frame Feature
A&E Biography- Will Rogers: An American Original (90:00)
Movietone News
Will Rogers Memorial Fund
Stage Dedicated To Will Rogers In Hollywood
Trailer

In Old Kentucky
Full Frame Feature
Movietone News
Film Executives Visit Memorial to Will Rogers
Will Rogers off with Wiley Post to Arctic Circle
Trailer

So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#2 of 11 Derek Estes

Derek Estes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 09:54 PM

John, I knew you would have this posted by the time I got here! LOL! I'm looking forward to this release. I've only seen Steamboat, and it will be great to see it restored. I haven't seen the others. Great extras.
Helen: Jim! How do you live?
Jim: I steal...

#3 of 11 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 23,120 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 12 2006 - 10:04 PM

Well, Fox has definitely limited their boxset releases to just four films with a MSRP of $59.98

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 11 Charles H

Charles H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 01:44 AM

Volume "I" sounds very promising. Fox brought out DOUBTING THOMAS on VHS along with CONNECTICUT YANKEE IN KING ARTHUR'S COURT (featuring Myrna Loy and Maureen O'Sullivan--a surprisingly racy film), AMBASSADOR BILL and MR. SKITCH many years ago and despite the obvious historical and political context, they are terrific films. Rogers' humor doesn't seem dated at all. John Ford directed STEAMBOAT.
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 11 Joe Caps

Joe Caps

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,900 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 02:14 AM

I saw this. Who is doing programming at Fox? STILL no box sets devoted to two of thier biggest stars, Susan Hayward and Tyrone Power. But they do will Rogers?

#6 of 11 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 02:38 AM

Well, he was a pretty big star in his own right - we are talking Will Rogers; this is hardly 'Francis the Talking Mule' territory.

I balk at the price (I balk at a lot of prices these days), but I'll end up owning this set, and kudos to whomever at Fox had the cojones to set up a release. BTW, I think the fact that Vol. 1 contains his last four films means that if sales are poor, there may be no Vol. 2.

I may have to buy Vol.1 at least twice...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 11 JohnPM

JohnPM

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 04:25 AM

All three of the ones Ford directed would have been a nice start, but I'm amazed they're releasing any of these at all. To say the least, I never saw them coming ...

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#8 of 11 Steve...O

Steve...O

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
I may have to buy Vol.1 at least twice...

Well, I ordered 2 copies of the Charlie Chan box to help ensure that further volumes of Chan/Moto are forthcoming, but I can't afford to do that with all the Fox boxes if they continue to price them on the high end.

Crawdaddy mentioned in the Grable thread that if sales don't meet projections Fox will need to adjust their pricing. My fear is that they will interpret low sales as lack of interest and scale back their catalog titles altogether.

If Fox priced these 4 disc boxes the way they did their fantastic Laurel & Hardy box that just came out (3 DVDs for $35MSRP; discounted to $25 or less online) I would feel a whole lot better about them.

Still, I never would have guessed the Rogers films, which I am not familiar with, would ever be released so I do give them credit for that.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#9 of 11 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,632 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 10:54 AM

I would only be interested in Steamboat as it is a John Ford picture
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#10 of 11 Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 11:23 AM

It's a good batch. I have all four on tape, but I'll be glad to upgrade. Although come to think of it, that price is pretty rough. I 'trust' I'll have the dough for it. Lots of things coming out in June and July. Probably smart that this initial set is comprised of the later Rogers films, as they do play well. Some of the earlier ones are a little uneven (including "A Connecticut Yankee," which I actually found rather disappointing). Rogers sure must have made a lot of films that final year of his life. Isn't "The County Chairman" also from 1935? That's one I've never seen. Wish it was part of this set.

#11 of 11 John Hodson

John Hodson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,340 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 05:48 AM

Artwork for that Will Rogers Collection at DVD Times.
Film Journal Blog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users