Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Starship Troopers Versions Superbit, SE, vs. original.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 02:24 AM

Ok, I know I missed the boat on replacing my original edition of Starship Troopers with the Superbit when Bestbuy was having the $9.99 Sale. But, now I have this compelling itch to have it. Then last week Circuit City had the 2-disc SE for $7.50. So, my question is how much better is the 2-disc SE version than the original, and then is the Superbit better yet, than the 2-disc version? I am just concerned with video/sound. Oh, and if anyone has a Superbit version that they want to get rid of, for a reasonable price, please let me know. :b Thanks, Adam

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   David_P

David_P

Stunt Coordinator

• 149 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 02:47 AM

In my opinion... the SE has better video than the oldest original single disc version, audio is the same. Superbit has quite a bit better video than the SE (by same margin as SE over original IMHO), and the DTS soundtrack is also a different sound than the DD track (which is identical to SE/original)... I'm not sure which I like better, DTS or DD. DTS definitely has better/stronger/tighter bass and also better localized surround effects. DD treble sounds somehow clearer to me though. You give up a superlative suite of extras on the SE to go with the superbit though.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,364 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted April 12 2006 - 03:00 AM

I'd go with the Superbit version for PQ and audio, if that's your thing. Do you have a Netflix account? Rent the extras -- they're pretty good for one viewing. I own the 2 disc and the PQ and audio are pretty good overall. I'm satisfied enough to not double dip for the Superbit.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 07:17 AM

With an eventual Blu-ray release on the horizon i don't think the difference between the Superbit and the SE is that compelling. Here's a comparison between the HD version and the SB version scaled to 1080p.

The 2-disc SE does have some excellent features on it though.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 07:51 AM

Adam, By me at least, the SB 9.99 sale never really ended at Best Buy. Still tons of many titles at 9.99. These prices are not reflected by Bestbuy.com, but I would check your local BB just in case they still have this one at 9.99.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 08:24 AM

The commentaries on the SE are great. I normally don't listen to many commentaries any more, but these ones are very funny and informative.

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Ralph Jenkins

Ralph Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator

• 102 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 08:43 AM

The $9.99 sale on Superbit DVDs is still going on at Best Buy, but I haven't been able to find a copy of Starship Troopers for that price. At this point, it may not be worth the double dip. I'm sure a Blu-Ray version (this is a Sony title) is on the horizon. I figure that's part of the reason the current discs are being discounted.

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Geoff_D

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor

• 897 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 09:09 AM

That HD grab looks so much better than the upscaled DVD one... As for the DVD I've had all three R1 editions, and the first was great for the time but its soft transfer is shown up by the grainy, detailed goodness of the 2-disc edition. The Superbit improves PQ yet further, with better compression and slightly finer detail. Wasn't really bowled over by the dts audio, but it's just as good as the excellent Dolby 5.1 track so no worries there.

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Joe D

Joe D

Supporting Actor

• 839 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 11:20 AM

About picture quality, between the SE and the Superbit, on my 48" Mitsubishi I couldn't tell the difference. YMMV.

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Adam

Adam

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 01:57 PM

Andrew, I have been checking the local Bestbuy, and they never had any copies. I keep hoping though. Thanks, Adam.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users