Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

HD-DVD cover art design by Universal (is crap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 12:03 PM

So which format has the absolute worst cover art? I thought BluRay was pretty bad with it's curved banner across the bottom of most titles, but the following takes the case. Less attractive than an 8-track tape. Reminiscent of the days when people thought it would be reall cool to have the "compact disc" logo on the front cover of music. All in all, somewhere beyond ugly and into the land of "I was thinking about buying these but not if they look like that!":

Universal's HD-DVD cover design (courtesy of DVD Times)
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#2 of 34 Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor

• 697 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 12:47 PM

I kinda like it. It's different than what we get now, and it isnt just a movie poster plastered on the cover. But I wont let my decision of the cover influence what I am really after, high definition video goodness.
HD DVD? Check! Blu Ray? Check! High Definition Satelite? Check! HD Gaming systems? Check! 100% High Definition across the board!
http://mrbiggles.blogspot.com

#3 of 34 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 11 2006 - 12:54 PM

The only thing crap about it is Doom. We're back to silliness if a cover will influence a purchase decision.

The design achieves what is necessary: a new size and color of case to distinguish itself from regular DVD.

- Steve

#4 of 34 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 01:27 PM

Hyperbole aside, it is typical that when a new format comes out, cover art aesthetics are sacrificed.

On CDs back in the early 80s, RCA's CD covers featured a postage stamp sized image of a CD so you'd know what was inside (!). Many other companies put the CD logo on the fronts as well. It took years for these unattractive ideas to be phased out.

Posted Image

But I did not expect it to happen with the new formats, because in more recent years we saw companies come up with ways to distinguish new products without ruining the art:

Many DualDisc releases (love them or hate them) featured a clear slip cover - clear save for the ink that was plastered with DualDisc logos to ensure that the customer would know what they held in their hand. The ugly slip cover came off once the product was bought, and you could once again see the cover art underneath.

Posted Image

HD-DVDs from Universal appear - from these renderings - to be sacrificing the art in the name of making sure the customer knows what they are buying. The sweeping silver curves of Universal's covers is heavy handed, it won't last, and it did not need to be this way.

Here is an old VHS tape with a cover template similar to Universal's proposed HD-DVD template:

Posted Image
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#5 of 34 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 01:42 PM

They're not that bad.... it could be much worse and much more tacky.

#6 of 34 Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 01:44 PM

Quote:
The design achieves what is necessary: a new size and color of case to distinguish itself from regular DVD.
Did you look at the link? The new size and color of case aren't at issue. Universal's "Looking at the poster through the curved portal of a space capsule" template is what I am calling excessive.

#7 of 34 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 11 2006 - 02:27 PM

It does not bother me, but then again I'm in it for the movie, not the packaging.

- Steve

#8 of 34 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 02:37 PM

No big deal IMO.

#9 of 34 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 02:51 PM

They do look like crap. Looks like generic beer in a white can with the word "BEER" in big black letters. Posted Image
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#10 of 34 Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted April 11 2006 - 03:52 PM

But it is going to taste like Sam Adams. Posted Image

- Steve

#11 of 34 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Producer

• 3,729 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 03:55 PM

Whaaa? Repo Man isn't an announced title on either format, as far as I know. Posted Image

And nothing beats LaserDisc packaging, so who cares where on the scale of "crappy" these things fall?

#12 of 34 Daniel-M

Daniel-M

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 11 2006 - 09:24 PM

it's better than snapper

#13 of 34 Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 01:51 AM

Snappers are a type of case, not an art decision.

#14 of 34 aaron campbell

aaron campbell

Second Unit

• 282 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 01:51 AM

I don't understand the hoopla over cover art. I only see the spines displayed on my dvd racks.

#15 of 34 Jon Moss

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 12:49 AM

They're not the greatest design wise, but they're not awful either. My guess is Universal will change the design after a few months, this is just to get people's attention there's a new format on the shelves next to the DVD's.

Anyway I'm not looking at the packaging for 2 hours I'm watching the film, so it's not a biggie...

#16 of 34 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 03:48 AM

They all look fine to me.

I honestly don't see why people fuss over a picture on a box. I don't sit and stare at it, it's what's inside that counts. The picture the dvd produces is what's important.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#17 of 34 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 04:44 AM

Quote:
I honestly don't see why people fuss over a picture on a box.
Same here. Honestly, who's going to say "I won't buy this movie because of the cover art"??

#18 of 34 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 07:46 AM

And apparently the format still isn't capable of providing both the theatrical and "unrated" versions of Doom on the same disc.

The best cover designs were the first MCA DiscoVision laserdiscs- the entire cover was silver with the only actual coverart in the middle of the big "V".
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#19 of 34 Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley

Producer

• 3,333 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 07:56 AM

I think it looks crappy, but how else do you distinguish a HD from a regular ol' dvd??

#20 of 34 Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair

Producer

• 3,320 posts

Posted April 13 2006 - 08:17 AM

The design has to shout out at you in an extreme way.
It's a new format & can not afford to get lost in the shuffle. It's look was made to get a reaction from you. Wither that reaction is all good or all bad for any one person, is far beyond the capabilities of current design teams. Just know that it does it's job & it is what it is.
See if Blu-ray does any better, at pleasing everyone!
Movies are: "The Greatest Artform".
HD should be for EVERYONE!

Forum Nav Content I Follow