What's new

Pick ONE new tv dvd from each decade (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Here's your chance to play dvd packager: you may choose ONE and only one tv show from each decade to put on dvd. The only rule is that the show cannot have had any kind of substantial dvd release in the past. If the show already is stuck with just one season, like Happy Days, then forget it--the damage is done. "Best of" releases, like "Welcome Back Kotter" are exempt and can be voted for. But you cannot attempt to replace existing whole season tv releases that you consider to be not up to snuff.

Here are my picks:

50s: Dennis the Menace (it's BARELY a 50s show, premiered late in '59, but it's the main one from those days that I don't have).

60s: The Addams Family (uh...this is the biggest no-brainer of all. Where's the Addams' Family??)

70s: Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman!

80s: Falcon Crest

90s: The Drew Carey Show

00s: Who cares; all the good stuff's already out on dvd.

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I'm mostly interested in shows from the 70s and 80s,so here would be my picks: 70s: CHiPs
80s:Family Ties

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
From the 50's:
Maverick - The only release so far has been a one disc, 3-ep, "Sampler". Frankly, this is *shocking* to me because this "Shoot from the Quip" Western/Comedy series really seems to hold up well; *plus* you have the star power of James Garner (early seasons) and Roger Moore (in the final season)!

From the 60's:
Batman - Duh! I guess people have given up on it due to all the "legal entanglements", but we *have* to keep requesting it or there will never be a chance for its release.

From the 70's:
The Love Boat - Yeah, it's dated ... But I think it would sell just due to the multitude of guest stars that were on the show. (Did you know that Teri Hatcher was once a "Loveboat Mermaid"??)

From the 80's:
Matlock - Just thinking about this show makes me want to go out and find a hot dog vendor! Seriously, this show had some terrific writing, was very entertaining in its early seasons, and was produced by some of the same people that worked on Columbo. I can't imagine why there hasn't been a release.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
From the 50's:
The Donna Reed Show

From the 60's:
The Fugitive

From the 70's:
Hawaii Five O

From the 80's:
Wonder Years

From the 90's:
Beverly Hills 90210

From 00's:
Cold Case

MattHR

Screenwriter
50s MAVERICK
60s BATMAN
70s THE BIONIC WOMAN
80s THE FALL GUY
90s NOW AND AGAIN
00s JAKE 2.0

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
1950s- Burns & Allen- all that's been released is a couple of kinescopes from the show's first year, when it aired live on CBS. Sony owns the bulk of the remaining seasons with Larry Keating as Harry Morton and Ronnie Burns as himself. Considering that the show ran until Gracie retired due to health reasons in 1958, there are a lot of stuff waiting to be released- over 90% of the entire run.

1960s- Peyton Place- if Dallas, Dynasty, and Knots Landing have had DVD releases, why not the primetime soap that started it all? Fox is once again showing its lack of vision by not releasing more of its classic programs, and aside from Batman, this may be the most legendary series from the Fox vaults that has yet to see a release. The continued success of MPI's Dark Shadows releases prove that a long-running serialized drama can be released on DVD successfully. With 514 half-hour episodes, this is a possible goldmine for Fox.

1970s- The Six Million Dollar Man- This Universal property is on many a want list, including mine! And yes, this also includes The Bionic Woman.

1980s- Just The Ten Of Us- I just love this Growing Pains spinoff, and with 47 half-hour episodes, it deserves a nice single box set. It is comforting to know that from this forum there are also others who have expressed their desire to see this show released, too.

1990s- Parker Lewis Can't Lose- OK, it was inspired by Ferris Bueller's Day Off, but this show had a life of its own with great characters, and lasted three seasons on Fox. Once you see one episode, you're hooked: it's the kind of show that invents a world of its own with its own logic, kinda like another Fox show of the time, The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., simply great fun. This show I belive is owned by Sony.

2000s- George Lopez- why this show hasn't seen the light of day in the DVD world is beyond me. It's made history as the first major sitcom with a Latin lead since I Love Lucy, and it just celebrated its 100th show. It's also very funny. It's as much a breakthrough show in regards to the Latino lifestyle as Good Times, Sanford & Son, and The Jeffersons were in first showing black families on TV in the 1970s. Now is the perfect time for a DVD release, Warner Brothers!

michael_ks

Screenwriter
50s - Sea Hunt
60s - The Fugitive
70s - Alias Smith and Jones
80s --> care not

Changed my 50s vote after Bob reminded me that SH began in that decade.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
50s: either of ZIV Television's two best shows - Highway Patrol or Sea Hunt

60s: another vote for The Fugitive

70s: though it started in the late 1960s, it's basically a 70s show - Hawaii Five-0

80s: St. Elsewhere

90s: Don't care; my two favorite shows from the 90s have already been released, X-Files and Homicide: Life on the Street.

00s: Again, don't care; the only thing I watch is "Law & Order" and its offshoots and some of those have been released.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
50's- The Untouchables

60's- Batman

70's- Vegas

80's- (tie) Equalizer & Spenser: For Hire

90's- (tie) The Untouchables (new series) & Time Trax

00's- Special Unit 2

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
50's - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet

60's - The Wondeful World of Disney

70's - CPO Sharkey

80's - WKRP in Cincinnati

90's - Whose Line is it Anyway?

2000's - Eyes

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
50s-Sea Hunt
60s-Get Smart
70s-Barnaby Jones
80s-St. Elsewhere
90s-Cybill
00s-can't think of one that is not released already

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
hmm let's see now...

70's: CHiPs
80's: Simon & Simon / St. Elsewhere Tie (so many more though)
90's: Picket Fences

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
50s: George Burns and Gracie Allen (filmed episodes)
60s: Get Smart!
70s: Rhoda
80s: Mama's Family
90s: Dark Shadows 1991 (in OAR, the MAR version blows)
00s: I don't care

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
50s: Sea Hunt
60s: The Addams Family
70s: Police Story
80s: Max Headroom
90s: Picket Fences
00s: Ed

- Walter.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
50's - Father Knows Best

60's - The Fugitive

70's - Six Million Dollar Man

80's - The Wonder Years

90's & 00's - nada

Gary "weird, but I had no interest in anything from the 90's up" O.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
Comedy - Drama

1950s - Dobie Gillis - Dragnet (b/w)

1960s - He and She - The Fugitive

1970s - WKRP in Cincinnati - Family

1980s - Open All Night - The Equalizer

1990s - Cybill - Now and Again

2000s - who cares

Although I'm not that concerned about the shows since the advent of tape since I recorded all of the episodes of the shows I liked. I'm more interested in stuff from the pre-home video era (before 1979).

Ben King

Stunt Coordinator
1950's - Don't know.

1960's - Batman

1970's - The Streets of San Francisco

1980's - Falcon Crest

1990's - Melrose Place

2000's - Most of the notable shows are out already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks