What's new

Samsung HP-R4252 Plasma vs. Sony KDF-E42A10 LCD (1 Viewer)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
A few weeks ago we upgraded our 32" JVC CRT TV to a Samsung HP-R4252 Plasma. It was our first forray into HDTV. We purchased the unit thru Circuit City. They said if we weren't satisfied with it for any reason we had 30 days to return it. I figured there was a catch and just blew it off.

We picked it out of the showroom because it was the brightest and most colorful plasma of the lot. We got it home and found that not to be the case. After 3 weeks of trying new cables (HDMI and Component), using Avia to try and set it up and just eyeballing the picture we couldn't get any kind of real detail in the blacks and could not get rid of this weird looking "clay face" on both HD and SD. But it was the black levels that just ruined it for me. Any shadow was a black hole. If you tried to adjust it the black shadows got blocky and/or went gray. On static images with little to no black and lots of color this thing was beautiful. But I just couldn't get past the black level problem.

So...last night we took it back to Circuit City and picked up a Sony KDF-E42A10 LCD. No catches, no strings attached...nothing. I was totally surprised. All they wanted was the TV, remote and manuals. The deal was done within minutes. Two thumbs up for this. Anyway...I played with the LCD TV last night and although it might not be as bright as the Plasma it looks much better and cleaner. The shadows have detail. There is no more clay face. And the SD channels actually look better than they did on the Samsung plasma. I can now actually watch TV and movies without trying stressing over what's wrong with the picture.

This is my first Sony TV and am very happy with it. I'm not sure what the Samsung's problem was or why they would even produce a TV that horrible in the first place.

Patrick Bond

Auditioning
you should see their non-1080 DLPs...yuck. As for their plasma, its not too bad but its definitely trailing some of the others. I'm starting to think the Philips might even be more well-rounded plasma and I never cared for it too much. I'm glad you liked the 42 Sony...its very good and you cant beat that price.

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Since those XBR's have come out the prices have really been dropping. We got a better TV and saved some cash.

And what's funny is that the Samsung was the best looking one there. The Sony we picked out looked like utter crap in the show room. But at home it's awesome. So it's really hard to judge how a TV is going to look when it gets home. The reason I picked the Sony was because of all the glowing reviews about it even before seeing it. I took a chance and made out good. I guess you really can't judge a book by it's cover.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
So CC is easy on bringing stuff back?

That's good to know. I'm finally on the verge of getting a widescreen, and was curious if returning stuff is as easy as it sounded.

How many times did they say you can bring stuff back?

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
How many times I'm not sure. We didn't think to ask that question. But we did ask if we had another 30 days on the new Sony and they said yes. And if we don't like it again we can bring it back and select another one.

Dan DRC

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a 42A10. What I like about this TV is how good a job it does with SD material.HD is very good also. This is a really good choice until everything goes HD. The black levels and detail are very good for an LCD too.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

This is the huge advantage to buying locally rather than over the internet.

I purchased my first HD set from CC back in fall of '01, an Hitachi 53UWX10B. It was the best looking set in the store, I'd done a ton of research, and had had excellent experience with an analog Hitachi RPTV.

It was delivered by CC and I hooked it all up and hated it from the first moment. HORRIBLE clayfaces on all sources, though much worse on SD stuff, bad green caste at the lower end of the grayscale. I played with it for over 3 weeks, spending a couple of hours every night messing with trimpots and such.

I finally decided to return the set and go back to the excellent analog Hitachi, which I still had. I went back to CC with a great deal of fear about restocking fees and such. By this time they'd gotten in some of the HW-40 series Sonys, and they looked pretty good so I asked if I could exchange for a 57" model to replace the 53" Hitachi and pay the difference--no problem at all--set was delivered a few days later and within 5 minutes of turning it on I knew I had a definite keeper, no more clayfaces, acceptable SD, no nasty green tint in dark scenes. CC was excellent about the whole thing, no restocking fee, no additional delivery fee, my 30 days started over again from the date of delivery of the new set. I still have that set and am still very happy with it.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
That's great to know that CC is good on exchanges.

Can you trade for a tv that costs less and get money back, if the higher cost tv doesnt look as well as you think it should?

Patrick Bond

Auditioning
Clay, you should be able to do that. At BB, the difference would go back on your credit card. If you pay with cash or check, then the amount refunded(if over a certain amount) will be sent to you via a certified check from Best Buy corporate. I'm pretty sure CC is the same way but dont quote me....i'll ask a friend who works there if you really want to know

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool, I was just looking for a headsup. When the time comes I'll be going over everything with them anyway.

Not to hijack this topic, but will cc or bb order a new set for you if they dont carry it in stock yet?

Seems like bb doesnt carry all of the 1080p samsung dlp's.

I've been reading about a new LED DLP 1080p samsung that has been pushed back for a May release. It sounds promising, but I wonder how long it will be before it hits stores. Especially since they dont seem to stock the current ones....

Patrick Bond

Auditioning
it depends on what models each retailer will carry for that year as to what they can order. For example, my store carries the 60" SXRD, but not the 50" Cant even order it, but you can go to the Best Buy an hour away and get it. Not sure if each Cicuit City is like this b/c there are different levels to BB stores...some carry things other's dont(not talking about Magnolia HT)

feel free to PM me if you have any questions/concerns

Users who are viewing this thread