-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Big Block SoundSplinter 15" RL-p

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 01:52 AM

After my last experience with building the two sealed 3.9 cu ft enclosures and incorporating the mono BASSIS.. I figured it time to explore how the SoundSplinter 15" RL-p driver would do in the vented design. My first impressions right out of the shoot is very nice..nothing not to like.

It stands 39" tall and measures 20"W X 20"D 7.5 cu ft enclosure, with a tuning point that I think will come in at close to 17 Hz.. if not slightly lower? It's not what I would call pretty being that it's still in it's rough MDF form, but I had to give it a run to see how much effort (if any) that I wanted to put into the finish process.

Build time 16 hrs not counting HD or tracking down the port...I'm keeping track. With the few hrs I had to demo it with using GLADIATOR, MATRIX RELOADED and EAGLES "hell freezes over" for material..I'll most likely be associating it (in my mind anyway) with some of the better options I have ran.

I would like to pay tribute and a special Thanks to Ilkka Rissanen for simming it up for me along with your suggestions. The first thing that comes to mind in doing the vented design this time around, although I have ran plenty in the past...is the free gain coming from that 6" port...heck the driver is hardly moving while putting out 'substantial SPL...I figured, but none the same with running sealed for awhile..Posted Image

As you can see, I love long leads.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 of 5 Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 04:38 AM

Wow Steve! I thought you were joking about building it up only in one day. Posted Image That is one sweet looking vented box. I don't know how much bracing you put in, but if the final net volume is more closer to 7 cu ft and you used the vent length I suggested, Fb will be around 16.7 Hz. But of course the exact diameter and length of the vent affects too. If you had for example TrueRTA, it would be pretty easy to measure the exact Fb. You can of course play some sine waves and check the cone movement with your finger. The frequency where cone moves the least is your tuning frequency.

Simulation predicts that you have around 4-8 dB more output in 15-30 Hz range compared to a single sealed sub (3.9 cu ft box).

How did the flare turn out?

#3 of 5 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 05:07 AM

Quote:
I don't know how much bracing you put in, but if the final net volume is more closer to 7 cu ft and you used the vent length I suggested, Fb will be around 16.7 Hz. But of course the exact diameter and length of the vent affects too.

What I need to do is measure the cutouts of the bracing and then I think I should be able to give you a pretty accurate cu ft number. I know it's very close to (or under) 17 though. I did hold true to the port length, so we'll see? From the demo I did last-night with three different disks it's all good.Posted Image Wouldn't a NF measurement give us a good idea though come to think of it?
Quote:
Simulation predicts that you have around 4-8 dB more output in 15-30 Hz range compared to a single sealed sub (3.9 cu ft box).

It definitely would and does, but are you factoring in the mono BASSIS? That would equate out to headroom is what I think you mean to convey? Two of these guys (vented option) might be something in order for Frank..but then he already has a handfulPosted Image
Quote:
How did the flare turn out?

I decided against it for now. I wound up cutting my thumb on the table sawPosted Image familiarity and table saw dont go very well together. I know better to..

Anyway I think once I dress it up in Cherry veneer Posted Image or the like, it should look pretty good along with great SQ.

#4 of 5 Ilkka R

Ilkka R

Second Unit

• 270 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 05:15 AM

Quote:
What I need to do is measure the cutouts of the bracing and then I think I should be able to give you a pretty accurate cu ft number. I know it's very close to (or under) 17 though. I did hold true to the port length, so we'll see? From the demo I did last-night with three different disks it's all good. Wouldn't a NF measurement give us a good idea though come to think of it?
Yes, NF measurement gives us a pretty good picture. Of course you would need tones using say 0.2 Hz increments if you want to be accurate. But 1 Hz is enough for us.

Quote:
It definitely would and does, but are you factoring in the mono BASSIS? That would equate out to headroom is what I think you mean to convey? Two of these guys (vented option) might be something in order for Frank..but then he already has a handful.
Bassis can't add any headroom. It only changes the shape of the FR curve, but doesn't add max SPL.

Quote:
I decided against it for now. I wound up cutting my thumb on the table saw familiarity and table saw dont go very well together.
OK, I don't think port noises will be a problem even now. You know that single 6" vent has more area than two 4" vents. So for example when comparing to Ultra/2 in 20 Hz tune...

#5 of 5 steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 05:28 AM

Quote:
Bassis can't add any headroom. It only changes the shape of the FR curve, but doesn't add max SPL.

Yes that is so, I was referring to headroom (within a MV range) and not total output. We're on the same page.
Quote:
OK, I don't think port noises will be a problem even now.
I highly doubt it. It will take a great deal of air to get it/6" port howling... beyond my limit anyway.

Back to Speakers, Subwoofers & Headphones

Forum Nav Content I Follow