-Not Logged In-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

- - - - -

Marantz 7300 OSE noise - is there a fix?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 03:12 PM

A couple of years ago there was a lot of talk in this forum about a high pitched whine coming from the centre channel of the SR7300 & OSE models. I forgot about this issue when I picked up a used OSE a couple months back. Unfortunately, the unit I have exhibits this problem. Basically, when a signal is sent through the receiver there is a high-frequency whine from all channels, but it is loudest from the centre. The intensity varies depending on the DSP mode and whether Source Direct is engaged. It is loudest when in any surround mode and in digital, and it is least noticable when in analogue stereo in Source Direct. I don't recall a fix ever being discussed. Has anyone ever had their 7300 successfully repaired?

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Steve Turner

Steve Turner

• 1 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 01:02 AM

I sent my 7300 OSE back to Marantz for repair through my dealer. It took 2 months but it came back successfully repaired.

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   gregD

Second Unit

• 420 posts

Posted April 12 2006 - 08:54 AM

Here is contact info for authorized Marantz service in the US... no info for Canada. Servicewide 2239 Curtiss St Downers Grove IL 60515 630-969-7333 They did some mild repair work on an SR5000 for me a few years ago... the guy I talked to seemed well versed in Marantz issues.

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted April 21 2006 - 11:50 AM

Steve - Did Marantz say what the culprit was? I'd like to tell the repair guy here what part might be at fault. Greg - thanks for the info, I may give them a call.

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted May 22 2006 - 11:30 AM

Finally got it fixed through D&M Canada. I had to do a lot of research for them, since (I assume) with the Denon merger, the history of a three year old Marantz model wasn't at the forefront of their minds. Turns out that a capacitor change greatly reduces, but does not completely eliminate, the high-pitched whine. The noise is now only noticable from the centre when I put my ear within two feet of the speaker, and it is almost completely gone from the other channels. I can no longer hear it from any realistic listening position, so I'm happy with the results, since the 7300 sounds great otherwise. In the course of my research I called both Servicewide and Marantz USA, reasoning that in the bigger US market they would be more aware of the issue. The guy at Servicewide claimed to know how to fix it, but refused to tell me how, saying it was not in his "best interest," i.e., he does nothing for free. I can understand a businessman needing to make money, but I was calling from a different country asking for some advice, and he basically hung up on me. Marantz USA was hardly any better, with the rep saying he "vaguely remembered that issue with the 7300" but would not elaborate, or put me in contact with anyone else. That was a frustrating day. I can't praise the people at D&M Canada enough though. It took five weeks, but at least they fixed it, were polite, and the repair cost to me was minimal.

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,571 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted May 23 2006 - 07:38 AM

That's great news man. Congrats. Sorry it was such a hassle to get there though...
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Chris PC

Chris PC

• 3,994 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 12:47 PM

I listened to Chris's 7300 ose when he had a few folks over for pizza, wings and movie watching. The 7300 ose sounds really nice. It sounds essentially similar to the 7000 and 8000 I am most familiar with. All in all, the 7300 ose sounds great with music and was awesome watching movies. Nice subwoofer too Posted Image Thanx Chris for the fun movie night.
Going from projector to flatscreen for a while.... :P

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted June 01 2006 - 03:28 PM

Thanks Chris, glad to have you guys over. Now that it is repaired I think the 7300 will be around for a few years... love the build and sound on that baby. It's too bad no magazine ever did an A-B test to compare the regular 7300 to the OSE model. I can't help wondering if the tweaks improve the sound or are more of a marketing strategy. Can't hurt though :^)

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Jeff D.

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor

• 525 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 10:02 AM

Good to hear you got the OSE fixed Chris. It was definitely a gem in the Marantz catalog, much like the x000 series before it. Enjoy!

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   ChrisAG

Supporting Actor

• 503 posts

Posted June 02 2006 - 12:08 PM

Thanks Jeff; I'm always curious as to how sound characteristics (and build quality) of receiver models changes year over year. The 7300ose has much more detail and probably a wider soundstage than my previous 6200, and is far better for HT, although I think the 6200 wins for bass production without a subwoofer. Would you say the sound changed much from the 7300 to the 7400 & 7500?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users