Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Terminator 4

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
345 replies to this topic

#1 of 346 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 04:11 AM

Looks like this might actually be moving forward. I thought the best part of "Terminator 3" was
the end with the actual destruction of mankind
, so naturally I'm excited to now see the actual battles between men and machines that was only hinted about in the other films.

I don't know if the writers they chose are such a good idea but it's definitely worth attempting.

http://www.aint-it-c...ay.cgi?id=22963

#2 of 346 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 04:27 AM

I'll see it, but I hope Arnold makes King Conan first.

#3 of 346 OFFLINE   Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 04:29 AM

David, you may want to spoilerize the end of T3, and put several empty lines before it since it shows up in the previews otherwise.

--
H

#4 of 346 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,934 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 04:44 AM

Actually, that was the best part of the film. If Arnie going to be in it, I'll kill myself if he goes nude again:p)
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#5 of 346 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts
  • LocationWilmington, Delaware

Posted April 07 2006 - 08:34 AM

I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but given the direction #4 will be going in, it won't matter to me if Arnold isn't in it, the story doesn't necessarily require him.

If it's going to be dealing with the war between man and Skynet, that means that it will mostly take place on battlefields where Terminators aren't required to be covered in skin since the jig is most definitely up at that point.

If there's a scene or two involving "infiltrator" Terminators, then Arnold may be needed, but I would think that Skynet is smart enough to realize that the humans know what that model looks like with skin and discontined it.

Just because it's a Terminator film does not automatically mean that Arnold is called for in the story. They should make this one cold, hard and gritty as hell, with an R rating if possible, I want to go into the theater and live the nightmare that Reese was talking about in the original, he had pure pain in his eyes while relating that whole thing to Sarah...I want that to come across in this one. Posted Image
"That's Jack Bauer!!!!!! He's coming for me!!!!!" - Charles Logan

#6 of 346 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 09:01 AM

Quote:
I'm going to get crucified for saying this, but given the direction #4 will be going in, it won't matter to me if Arnold isn't in it, the story doesn't necessarily require him.

i fully agree- in fact, i would say the presence of Arnie (if the role were substainal and not just a cameo) would be a contrivance that drag the full potential of the movie down.
this franchise/story is primed to spin off into new and interesting directions. I hope they take advantage of that fact.

i enjoyed 3- far more than i ever thought i would- and the best part to me was
the implication of the ending- that its not just John Conners previous training/knowledge that makes him the eventual leader- authority is crystalized around him primarily because of where he is on Judgement Day. The implication being that preperation is meaningless without fortunate happenstance.

it somewhat soils the "no fate but what we make' mantra of 2, but i think its a lot more realistic myself.

this series could evolve like Planet Of The Apes did..each film spinning off wildly from the last for quite a while...as long as imagination holds out.

#7 of 346 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 09:11 AM

That's the thing about fate, no matter what one does to try and alter it, circumstances will inevitably lead the individual right where he/she was predetermined to end up.

I just thought of the perfect model for Terminator 4...I want Black Hawk Down with Terminators and HK's. Posted Image Posted Image

#8 of 346 OFFLINE   Richard_D_Ramirez

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit

• 439 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 10:25 AM

Quote:
If there's a scene or two involving "infiltrator" Terminators, then Arnold may be needed

They don't need Ahhnuld anymore. SkyNet would not be stupid enough to use only one skin model to infiltrate a human base. Besides, weren't there multiple "skin jobs" in Kyle's dream/memory sequence in the first Terminator film? I seem to remember a long haired "skin job" breaking into the base.

8^B
A Casualty of Casual Causality: My casual blog on the 'net.

#9 of 346 OFFLINE   David Coleman

David Coleman

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 12:32 PM

It took me a long time to see TERMINATOR 3 and quite honestly taken as a whole it wasn't my favorite. However I really did love the end and how it sets up T4. That left me on the edge of my seat for a sequel.

I agree T4 doesn't really need Arnold cause now it's John's story!

#10 of 346 OFFLINE   Shawn_KE

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 04:36 PM

Quote:
Besides, weren't there multiple "skin jobs" in Kyle's dream/memory sequence in the first Terminator film? I seem to remember a long haired "skin job" breaking into the base.

Yup, that was one of Arnold bodybuilding buddies.

I know it would be hard watching a Terminator without the Govenator!

They could always get OJ Simpson like they originally wanted. He'd be a great Terminator.

#11 of 346 OFFLINE   Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

• 762 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 05:25 PM

Yes! I just hope they can find a director who can bring it on like Cameron did with that scene mentioned above:

They should make this one cold, hard and gritty as hell, with an R rating if possible, I want to go into the theater and live the nightmare that Reese was talking about in the original, he had pure pain in his eyes while relating that whole thing to Sarah...I want that to come across in this one.

Then it is also a matter of casting the right actors for this, too. Michael Biehn [Kyle] is terribly underrated, despite excellent work in Terminator, Aliens, The Abyss, Tombstone... you get the idea. Even the dream sequence in T2 [director's cut] is Biehn's, though Linda Hamilton was also excellent.

Do the rest of you have any idea of who is set to direct? It would be great if Cameron would come back, but if he doesn't, who do YOU think would be able to handle a Terminator movie?

The shape I'm in you could donate my body to science fiction! - Rodney Dangerfield, "Back to School"

#12 of 346 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,864 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted April 08 2006 - 06:29 PM

The IMDb has Jonathan Mostow as the director, though I don't know if that's confirmed or not. It seems to be, from doing a search on T4 news.

#13 of 346 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 07:32 PM

I can deal with that, Mostow did an admirable job on T3, although that doesn't bode well for my hoped R rating.

Personally, I would love to see John Mcteirnan take his shot at this franchise, get back to his pre-Medicine Man self when he would just rip your sack off with his films. Posted Image

#14 of 346 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 08:21 PM

Quote:
I can deal with that, Mostow did an admirable job on T3, although that doesn't bode well for my hoped R rating.
Why? All of the previous movies were rated R. If Warner Brothers pusses out and does PG-13...Posted Image

There should be absolutely no fucking doubt that all Terminator movies will be rated R, NC-17, XXX...just as long as it isn't PG-13, PG, or G. "Terminator X: World Peace Happy Time with the Connor Family!"

#15 of 346 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 06:57 AM

Whoops, brain fart. :b For some unknown reason I thought T3 was PG-13, I have no idea why I thought that. Posted Image

It's all good, then, if Mostow directs. Posted Image

#16 of 346 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,497 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 09:37 AM

Quote:
Personally, I would love to see John Mcteirnan take his shot at this franchise.
Unfortunately, McTiernan will probably be too busy dealing with his legal troubles to direct any films in the near future:

http://www.latimes.c....,4594783.story

#17 of 346 OFFLINE   James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 10:32 AM

I don't think Arnold is really needed for the film. To include him as merely a cameo or as a human would not be very satisfying anyway.

Unfortunately, I don't really expect much from the series at this point. There's no real vision left, and it's now down to the studio just looking to churn out a few more sequels.

#18 of 346 OFFLINE   George_W_K

George_W_K

Screenwriter

• 1,467 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 11:04 AM

The only need for Arnold would be for him to be captured and sent back in time. If they even get that far part 4. Maybe part 5?

I wouldn't mind Jonathan Mostow's return as I really liked part 3. Arnold was more no-nonsense and robotic in part 3 than part 2, IMO. I also like how the movie just moved along with the action as the story has already been set by the previous films. It was a fun movie.

I do prefer the originals, of course, but I don't score part 3 very far behind at all.

#19 of 346 OFFLINE   Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer!

Executive Producer

• 11,067 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 12:35 PM

Quote:
There's no real vision left, and it's now down to the studios just looking to churn out a few more sequels.

I agree with part of that, I don't see the series going beyond 4 except to just make a quick buck, but as for the vision part of it, there is fertile ground for a great movie set in the midst of the actual war, a lot of untapped storylines and truck loads of great battle and action scenes. Posted Image

There have been far worse series' of films than the Terminator films so far, all three have been sci-fi entertainment of the highest quality IMO.

#20 of 346 OFFLINE   James@R

James@R

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted April 09 2006 - 03:03 PM

Quote:
there is fertile ground for a great movie set in the midst of the actual war

Oh, there's still plenty of ground left to cover, I was just implying that the people currently driving are not the ones to take us there. (I mean, the scribes of Catwoman and The Net?)

T3 was a fun film, but little else. It was essentially a retread of T2 (Arnold protects, more powerful terminator threatens). For example, if you have this great series that involves time travel, why set the film a mere decade later?

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow