What's new

Do you read reviews first? (1 Viewer)

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering how many people here read reviews for DVD Sets before buying?

Not living in the US, I can't just go down to the store and impulse buy - so I usually check out Online Reviews (SitcomsOnline is usually the best).

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely. I usually read all the reviews I can get my hands on to. I don't do blind buys.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
I love to read reviews but I have never read one that influenced me to purchase a set--I have a pretty broad set of interests but there are only a few TV shows I like enough/will watch enough to justify owning, and if it takes a review to make me decide that it's one of them, then it probably isn't.

OTOH, I have NOT purchased a set due to a review--Cosby Show S1 is the best example.

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator
Since I'm pretty much at the beginning of my DVD collecting hobby, I have a long list of "must haves" to be satisfied. I try to read a review on every title I'm interested in, prior to making a purchase, in order to insure making a quality choice. I find it a great assist when picking an older title that may have more than one or two DVD releases. There are often differences in the transfer quality. Sometimes an older release may be the better of two.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Not really. I generally know what I would be interested in and pick it up when it comes out. Now, if there's a serious problem with the set (syndicated cuts, for example), there's usually a thread about it here on release day or shortly thereafter.

But no, I don't seek out reviews on things I know I want.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Depends on the title. For something I know I'm going to buy anyway, like Robot Chicken I'll buy it before a review is read...Simpsons, other shows, but for other things I will want a review first. Most of the time, if there is a review for something I might be interested in that hits before the DVD I'll read it, but if there's not one I won't wait to read one if I really want the set.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I'm in the same category as Casey. If it's in 70% of movies I know I'm going to want, I just buy it. For SEs, double dips, or a marginal purchase I read the reviews first to get a feel for extras, transfer quality, and such. And for movies I completely missed the first time around, a review might influence me to buy as opposed to rent. I'm trying to think of recent cases where the review drove a purchase ... Firefly, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Dog Day Afternoon. There's probably more, but that's what comes to mind.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
No I generally don't read reviews if its something I am collecting and I need it to complete the collection

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
As others have mentioned, not if it's something that's been on my Must Have list. If I'm buying a show, it would have to be some pretty terrible review for me to skip it. I haven't collected a show that was strictly syndicated versions, so that hasn't been a problem. As for movies, if I'm looking to make a blind buy, I'll read lots of reviews. If I've seen it and know I really want it, I may skim some reviews, but they'd have to be pretty bad regarding the video or audio quality for me to skip it.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
95% of the tv sets i buy are shows ive watched on TV. The other 5% are ones i was intrested in, but never had a chance to watch. I watch too much tv so i pretty much know what I like

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
This may sound backwards to you all... but when I buy any TV show release... whether I know I like it or not... I will read some reviews after I place my order. just to read about how it is presented and more deeply into what all is included.

When it comes to Blind buys... I may read 1 or 2 reviews first... but I wouldn't use the review to help me determine if I would like the show itself. Mainly because I tend to enjoy shows that alot of other ppl seem to hate... and I pretty much trust my gut feeling about a show's plot.

With over 260 TV show releases... I have maybe 2 or 3 releases that I didn't care much for the show. That's not to bad of a record. It works for me atleast! :p)

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Thats cool... atleast I know I don't look completely nuts! :P)

Usually for me it goes like this... I get it in my mind that I want a set... so I order it. Then I start wondering what it is exactly that I am about to enjoy before to long.... so that is when I start to check out the reviews.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I read reviews, but not for the shows. I read them for the technical quality and running times. I haven't preordered a TV show DVD in years.

Eve Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Not usually but must of the shows i buy are ones I have seen too bad thats alot. Ones i have brought completily blind The Grid and Entourage good deals so i decided to buy them. Hopefully i'll get around to watching them someday. am in the tv dvd challege but am doing really bad so far, i feel like i have done nothing especially compared to all the tv dvd I have.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Me too. No offense to reviewers, but I could care less what someone else thinks of a movie.

Perhaps the technical aspects (ie. a review of the A/V quality), but that's about it. Liking the story is a matter of personal taste and nobody (but me) can tell me what I'm going to like or dislike.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I often read reviews before buying, mostly to see if there are technical problems. I usually already know what I want, and if it's something I REALLY want, I may choose to overlook some minor problems with it and buy it anyway.

But if there are major problems (music replacement, syndication prints, etc.) on a release that I was on the fence about buying anyway -- well, reviews can definitely influence me to save my money for something else.

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
I don't buy movies anymore. Exclusively TV sets, and 99% of my purchases are blind buys, as I haven't been a regular TV watcher in years outside of sports events.

But I don't use reviews to decide what I want to see. Generally what piques my interest is the buzz on these forums. If I hear/read a lot of raves about a particular show that seems to me to be something I would enjoy, I'll check out the reviews. As long as there's not a consensus among reviewers that it sucks, I'll check it out eventually.

So far, it's worked for me. The only real disappointment I've had has been Smallville. Pretty much everything else I've picked up through this method I have enjoyed -- Buffy/Angel, Sopranos, La Femme Nikita, West Wing, Alias, The Shield among others.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor
I read all the reviews I can find. But not to see if I want to buy the set or not. I read them to find out more about the set I've already purchased or I'm planning to purchase. I decide what I want. I don't let the reviews influence me. I just read them out of curiousity.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks