What's new

LONG GOOD FRIDAY (Anchor Bay) - Is it cut ? (1 Viewer)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I love this awesome British gangster flick! It's so gritty and cool!

I have the old Criterion Edition which is an old non-anamorphic release with few extras. I am so pleased Anchor Bay has gone the extra mile and anamorphically enhanced it and give the film the special edition treatment it deserves!

However, the Crierion release had the film running for 114 minutes. The Anchor Bay release is apparently 109 minutes. What's going on? Is it cut ?!! :frowning:

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Both are uncut; the Anchor Bay running time is a typo. The info maybe came from Anchor Bay UK, what with the region 2 being PAL and all. Buy today, Martin, you long streak of paralyzed piss! ;)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that's right.

Did you see the recent DVD Beaver comparison of Criterion vs. New Anchor Bay (R1)? The Criterion is sharper, but the extras on the AB are superb. John Mackenzie - highly underappreciated filmmaker: Unman, Wittering and Zigo (1971, cinematography by Geoffrey Unsworth); A Sense of Freedom (1979, current UK DVD has been dubbed in plain english over the slang Glaswegian); Play for Today: Just a Boy's Game (1979) and his even better "Play for Today", The Elephant's Graveyard are marvelous British films of raw power, but The Long Good Friday has overshadowed them all, althought it is most definitely a great film.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
I would love to see Unman, Wittering and Zigo released on DVD in R1. Who is holding onto the rights on that one?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I don't know who owns the rights. David Hemmings and a production company called Mediarts produced the film and Paramount distributed theatrically in 1971. There was never a VHS and TV screenings have been rare over the years. Strange, disturbing film with great cinematogrpahy by master DP Geoffrey Unsworth. Giles Cooper's play had been adapted previously for TV in 1965.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I think the only other MacKenzie film I've seen is a 1993 US TV movie called "VOYAGE" starring Rutger Hauer and Karen Allen...

I love the treatment that Anchor Bay give their S.E.'s. I'm buying three Anchor Bay films this week... "LONG GOOD FRIDAY", "MONA LISA" (both with Hoskins), and "SIX PACK" with Diane Lane. :)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I think the only other MacKenzie film I've seen is a 1993 US TV movie called "VOYAGE" starring Rutger Hauer and Karen Allen...

I love the treatment that Anchor Bay give their S.E.'s. I'm buying three Anchor Bay films this week... "LONG GOOD FRIDAY", "MONA LISA" (both with Hoskins), and "SIX PACK" with Diane Lane. :)

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Anyone know how the picture quality of the Region 1 Anchor Bay version compares to the Region 2 S.E. ?

Thanks!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Martin, I already posted a link to DVD Beaver that compares the two transfers: CLICK HERE

You should definitely pick up the new Anchor Bay edition, Martin; the commentary is excellent.

Ivy Mike

Agent
Real Name
Jordan
Is the "Cult Fiction" release of The Long Good Friday the same as the other Anchor Bay release? I'm referring to this one here...

Amazon.com: Cult Fiction: The Long Good Friday: Bruce Alexander,Pierce Brosnan,Michael Byrne,George Coulouris,Eddie Constantine,Charles Cork,Stephen Davies,Alan Devlin,Dexter Fletcher,Brian Hall,Bob Hoskins,Trevor Laird,Patti Love,Bryan Marshall,Kevi

It was released this year and is also from Anchor Bay, so I'm wondering if it's just a repackaging of the other one that has been discussed here (the one compared to the Criterion at DVDBeaver).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks