Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Boot Camp - Official Apple support for Windows XP/OS X dual boot

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:15 AM

Hell just froze over -- click here.

Works on all Intel based Macs. Very cool, if you ask me.

Michael Dell must be one very unhappy camper right about now.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#2 of 17 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:31 AM

this is the first step for apple becoming mainstream.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#3 of 17 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:32 AM

Quote:
Word to the Wise

Windows running on a Mac is like Windows running on a PC. That means it’ll be subject to the same attacks that plague the Windows world. So be sure to keep it updated with the latest Microsoft Windows security fixes.

And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#4 of 17 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Producer

• 3,219 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:41 AM

Quote:
this is the first step for apple becoming mainstream.

if mainstream means "infected", I'll pass.

#5 of 17 Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:44 AM

Check the stock prices. Posted Image I think Leopard will definitely help for switchers. Run XP apps in OS X VMWare while keeping OS X alive. Over time you will find yourself using "Windows" and the apps less and less and less until it's rare. I don't use a single "Classic" app and haven't for a couple of years now.

and

Buy a Mac now because it can run both. When XP craps out or is full of Virii and you don't know what to do you end up running OS X for everything because you're too lazy or dumb to fix it.

#6 of 17 Louis-Olivier

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 08:03 AM

Damn i knew i should have bought these apple stocks when i had the chance!Posted Image
Click here to get a free ipod (a few clicks required!) My DVDlist

#7 of 17 Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 08:04 AM

Quote:
if mainstream means "infected", I'll pass.
it won't. as much as i hate the look of every mac OS, they are very secure and stable.

CJ

#8 of 17 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 08:25 AM

Now we just wait for apple to get off it's high horse and allow osx to run on non-mac x86 hardware. That way folks can buy an inexpensive computer and put a nice os on it.

But then again, osx is just another flavor of *nix.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#9 of 17 Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 10:14 AM

Quote:
But then again, osx is just another flavor of *nix.

If you really believe that Mac OS X is no more desirable than Linux, there are plenty of distributions of Linux already available for x86 PCs.

Have at it!

#10 of 17 Tekara

Tekara

Supporting Actor

• 783 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 11:12 AM

Already done, I'm an avid user of linux on all of my personal computers, even my laptop. Posted Image

Nevertheless though, I would still like to see osx allowed to be operated on non-mac hardware. Mostly because it is probably the only os that can truely compete with windows. I'm a big fan of open competition as the consumer always comes out ahead . Linux is nice, and I personally like it, but it is just not friendly enough that I could leave it with the parents.
"Computers are a lot like air conditioners - they both work great until you open windows." -Anonymous
"The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will agree to meet them halfway." -Bernard Avishai

#11 of 17 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,014 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 05 2006 - 03:50 PM

Smartest decision they could have made to be hardware competitors. This puts their Intel line closer to direct competition with Dell and HP. If they ever decide to offer an option for dual boot with both OSes installed out of the box, then Apple will be a real competitor again.

While for the past two years I have used Windows, Mac OS X, and Solaris all quite frequently, I'm always going to be a die hard Windows fan for my own home PC. I'm really happy with my Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop right now (though it's not very portable - there's a reason they stopped putting P4's in laptopsPosted Image) But in a couple years if I'm in the market for a desktop, getting rid of the tower (ie. iMac) might be quite attractive from a hardware standpoint. Then again, the one thing I miss with my laptop from my old desktop is tooling around inside case. The big plus of the Apple concept - a whole package deal - is also the downside. I might miss just running down to CompUSA and buying a new component to pop into a PCI slot when I need one.

#12 of 17 Joseph S

Joseph S

Screenwriter

• 2,865 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:53 PM

Quote:
If they ever decide to offer an option for dual boot with both OSes installed out of the box, then Apple will be a real competitor again.
It's easier to install XP with Bootcamp than it is to "reinstall" XP on a Dell/HP. They made installing XP a piece of cake aside from all those nag screens in the XP installer and multiple reboots required. Either option key or Startup Disk CP/Pref Pane to switch between the two. I think they're already a big competitor for the back to school purchases and Mac users that once needed a PC for some things will use the newfound cash to get a better Mac or another Mac. Can't wait for the Leopard demo. Heck, Tiger was dubbed OS X "Longhorn" and Leopard will probably be out well in advance of "Longhorn."

Quote:
The big plus of the Apple concept - a whole package deal - is also the downside. I might miss just running down to CompUSA and buying a new component to pop into a PCI slot when I need one.
Get the Mac Pro Tower with 8 Multicore CPUs of fun. Posted Image

#13 of 17 Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,014 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted April 06 2006 - 06:00 AM

Quote:
Get the Mac Pro Tower with 8 Multicore CPUs of fun. Posted Image
But then I'm back with a tower again!Posted Image

#14 of 17 Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton

Screenwriter

• 1,433 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 05:48 PM

Quote:
Get the Mac Pro Tower with 8 Multicore CPUs of fun.

Do not taunt Happy Intel Multicore CPU Ball.

#15 of 17 Bob_L

Bob_L

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 02:36 AM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned what, for me, is one of the most compelling by-products of Boot Camp: the Intel-based Mac Mini's can now run Windows-based HTPC software like Beyond TV and Meedio.

Mac faithfuls may still find value in FrontRow, which is a fine little program but simply doesn't offer the same level of functionality of the best Windows-based (or even Linux-based) HTPC packages.

Combine the HIGHLY desirable form factor and functionality of the Mac Mini (one of Apple's most cost-effective hardware offerings ever) with one of those Windows media programs and you have a superb HTPC platform, IMO. The limitations are the 80Gb drive offered with the Mini and, of course, the lack of TV/DVR functionality at this point, which may still be a possiblility with an external USB tuner. (And, of course, external USB HDs could also solve the storage capacity issue but then you start to get a rat's nest of wired gadgets that begin to defeat the convenience of the form factor.)

I wish I had a spare $1000 to get Mini and tuner and play around with this. Sigh...

#16 of 17 Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,864 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 04:12 AM

Quote:
The limitations are the 80Gb drive offered with the Mini and, of course, the lack of TV/DVR functionality at this point, which may still be a possiblility with an external USB tuner. (And, of course, external USB HDs could also solve the storage capacity issue but then you start to get a rat's nest of wired gadgets that begin to defeat the convenience of the form factor.)

Actually the maximum internal drive capacity is 120GB. (I just got a built to order Mini with that size drive).

As far as creating a rat's nest -- that really needn't happen either -- there are two products out there with up to 500GB drive capacity, that are specifically made for the Mini, fitting it seamlessly as a base, and also provide you with extra Firewire and USB ports. Here is one example, but at least one other company makes them as well.

So far as DVR functionality there are a couple of choices, but probably the best known is the El Gato EyeTV 500, which provides HDTV DVR functionality without having to pay a monthly fee as you would with Tivo, etc.

In any event, the Mini is quit the thing -- I got one to use, at least initially as a CD player replacement -- I intend to rib my entire CD collection to Apple Lossless format, and hook up the Mini to my receiver via optical digital audio out. I intend to use my PowerBook or other Mac as the remote control (via Net Tunes software, plus VNC when needed -- that way I can avoid switching on my TV, just to listen to music).

So even without Windows, the Mini can be I mighty useful (not to mention elegant) piece of A/V equipment.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.
My Twitter page

#17 of 17 Jason Adams

Jason Adams

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted April 08 2006 - 12:10 PM

Now, if apple will get around to coming out with the ibook's with the Intel processors, I will be all over it.

Back to Apple and Macintosh

Forum Nav Content I Follow