Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Eight years into DVD...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Basile

Mark Basile

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 04:57 PM

and there is still no sign of anamorphic versions of the following films: Twins Timecop Arthur Armaggedon Overboard What About Bob? Hercules Spies Like Us Breakdown The Game and I'm sure many others. What is interesting is that the studios have had six or seven years to re-release these movies and never did. Yet we've had three or four updated versions of Terminator 2, The Mask of Zorro, and other movies. Now Hi-Def is upon us, and I am going to hold out until Blu-Ray versions of these films are released. On another note, I think the studios have learned that they are going to release standard versions of all their films before re-releasing them as Special Editions. When DVD first came out, we had Special Edition versions of movies that never had a proper standard release; leaving studios nowhere to go but with Ultimate, Anniversary, Extreme, and "Slogan" Editions. New features are great, but I would rather the studios spend their energy creating top notch video and audio on their new standard edition Hi-Def discs, and then doing a 2 or 3 disc special edition at a later date for those who really love that particular movie. Any thoughts?

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   MattHR

MattHR

Screenwriter

• 1,513 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 05:13 PM

Why should they devote any attention to the films you mentioned, when their valuable resources are better concentrated on the profit potential of the next releases of American Pie, Blackhawk Down, Princess Bride and others, as you mentioned. There are five titles on your list I would have purchased -- had they been re-released as anamorphic. Now, it's too late. They missed their opportunity to squeeze a few more bucks out of me. The next time I buy any of those titles will be in HD -- assuming I still care if/when that time comes.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   Mark Lucas

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

• 497 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 05:56 PM

Universal, Sony, and Disney don't know what they're doing most of the time.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 4,078 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 06:14 PM

Sony did pretty much know what they were doing when they started out, but they sure don't now.
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,196 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 07:34 PM

You missed the James Cameron flicks: True Lies -and- The Abyss Since I don't intend to purchase into either Hi-Def format until at least July 2007 I would still re-purchase these on SD-DVD if they were to be released at some point this year. As far as Disney's Hercules: Don't forget that we're still waiting for an anamorphic The Little Mermaid as well! Of course, that title has at least been announced for SD-DVD for October of this year. Let's not lose sight of the fact that 1. SD-DVD discs will still play, and in upconverting fashion to boot, on both HD-DVD and/or Blu-ray decks. 2. It will be many, many years (if ever) before many of our "fav" titles will be available in Hi-def. 3. As luck will have it, in many cases the title we may want may not be available on our preferred HD optical disc format. (For example, that SE of "True Lies" may be released to Blu-ray but not to HD-DVD. However, it may also be released simultaneously to SD-DVD. Since your HD-DVD deck can play the new anamorphic DVD, and the odds of the title being released to HD-DVD are nill, would you not purchase the title on SD-DVD?? I know: We're all assuming that a universal player will take care of this, but until I see one actually announced I'm not banking on it!)
Joseph
---------------

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   Antonio S

Antonio S

Stunt Coordinator

• 75 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 02:41 AM

I'm also waiting for a few on your list, Mark. Like to add a region 1 edition of Flash Gordon in anamorphic.

#7 of 17 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,219 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 05 2006 - 02:49 AM

Kindergarten Cop comes to mind.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 02:54 AM

Raising Arizona Posted Image

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   AL KUENSTER

AL KUENSTER

Second Unit

• 359 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 03:06 AM

How about Final Analysis and Frantic!
Al Kuenster

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter

• 1,070 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 03:22 AM

Nine years into DVD... And where's a good looking Outland?
 This Are Intentionally Left Blank

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,666 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 04:21 AM

In addition to TRUE LIES, THE ABYSS and RAISING ARIZONA, I'm still waiting for Fox to give us R1 anamorphic editions of HOME ALONE and THE EDGE...

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Fake Shemp

• 10,227 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:44 AM

Actually, "The Game" is rumored for later this year, as a delux special edition.

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,914 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 07:15 AM

I've had an anamorphic Arthur DVD (from R2 France) for many years now. Eight years into DVD people really should figure out that there is a big world outside R1. Enjoy it.

That said it really bothers me is films that the only non-P&S release of The Man With Two Brains seems to be Norwegian.

Ted
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 08:01 AM

Also AMERICAN PRESIDENT and TRUE LIES. CRIMSON TIDE and ENEMY OF THE STATE - are supposed to come out again, if BVHE doesn't postpone it again, for the 5th time, or whatever.

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,655 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 08:04 AM

In regards to Special Editions, those early releases were mostly ported over from the laserdisc versions. The same thing could happen for HD, Blu-Ray, whichever becomes the dominate format.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

• 1,007 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 05:24 PM

You need to go multi-region. It's just Fox USA; True Lies is anamorphic pretty much everywhere else. I have the Japanese disc, which sports a killer DTS track! -Lyle J.P.

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 06:05 PM

Yes but Lyle, the thing is, there is no good reason for there not being anamorphic R1. Same with MRS. DOUBTFIRE.

The studios need to stop this BS! of not putting out anamorphic R1 titles. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users