Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Toshiba HD-D A1 player advise

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 of 18 OFFLINE   Ian B

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 01:37 PM

Hi gang; Any input on this HD-D player before I take the plunge?? Thanks, Ian B
Ian B.

#2 of 18 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 363 posts

Posted April 05 2006 - 12:54 AM

From what I've heard about probs with loading times & freezing on the BETA units I wouldn't be the first to rush in. If the brave who take the plunge come 18th April can confirm TOSH has ironed out these probs you're in for a treat

#3 of 18 OFFLINE   Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc

Producer

• 3,712 posts
  • LocationOconomowoc, WI.

Posted April 06 2006 - 02:53 PM

I would wait also. Obviously you don't care about the initial high price?

#4 of 18 OFFLINE   Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit

• 374 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 03:45 PM

The Toshiba HD-DVD players are the 'cheap' ones all things considered.

#5 of 18 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts

Posted April 06 2006 - 03:59 PM

I am going to wait. I think the first players will be a big test. Better to read online in forums and reviews to make sure the problems are weeded out. I have read some of the test units had many problems.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#6 of 18 OFFLINE   Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,937 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 12:51 AM

My advice is don't jump in yet. Too expensive, (though the cheapest one to be released). It just seems too early, not a lot of products that support 1080p via video and audio.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#7 of 18 OFFLINE   Ian B

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted April 07 2006 - 03:51 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I will wait and see what happens. Perhaps by Christmass, the smoke will have cleared. Ian B
Ian B.

#8 of 18 OFFLINE   Robert Zawacki

Robert Zawacki

Agent

• 28 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 02:39 AM

Hello, I have tried this player for a week, and I am done dealing with all of the issues. I returned it last night. Issues: When I 1st hooked it up, Great picture but no digital sound via Optical through my Denon receiver(2 yrs old). The only sound I could get to work was 2-channel PCM sound(Yeck and not what I paid for). After talking to Toshiba tech support for many hrs, they determined that it was too old(2yrs?), I had to buy a new receiver. I spent another $400 and hooked up new receiver. It worked and fantastic sound, but.......... Once I started to play movies, I started to have multiple hard locks. Sometimes the movie would play fine for a while, then stutter a little, then bang, hard lock. A full system reboot, which takes well over a minute. Big problem - When watching a dvd, we like to pause and quickly switch to news, basketball game - OH NO, not with this system, the moment you switch your TV from HDMI, huge HDMI error on HD DVD player and hard lock, must fully reboot system. No on-screen changing of audio, must go up to player and see between audio 1, audio 2, etc....No way to know what it is????? That was it. I will wait until 2nd or 3rd generation comes out. I have searched many forums, and LOTS of people are having these problems. I wish I could recommend now, but I can't.

#9 of 18 OFFLINE   Juan C

Juan C

Second Unit

• 450 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 02:47 AM

Return that too and wait for receivers supporting HDMI 1.3 this fall.

#10 of 18 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 03:17 AM

I've had my A1 for 2 weeks now, not a single problem with it. I've watched Phantom, Apollo 13, Doom, Serenity (twice), The Last Samurai, all HD-DVD titles and several SD-DVDs, everyone played without incident. I've got it wired up via a 35' HDMI cable to a Z3. The up scaling of SD-DVDs is outstanding as well. The Audio is run via the 5.1 Analog connections to take advantage of DD+. I did run it also via Coax and Toslink, both work fine but the Analog connection is the best until HDMI 1.3 hits.
This, I am sure is a set-up issue in the audio section of the A1's menu, there are many others with older receivers doing just fine. My Outlaw 950 is older then 2 years and it works perfectly no matter which audio option I use. It is slow loading, takes about 45 seconds once turned on before you can open the tray and then another 30 seconds to boot up once a movie is in. Other then that, she runs perfectly.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#11 of 18 OFFLINE   Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor

• 781 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 04:34 AM

yes...beyond the gliktches; the fact remains, unarguably, that this first generation unit does not take full advantage of HD video and audio capabilities and specs. I'll pass thanks
Peter

My Collection

#12 of 18 OFFLINE   JediFonger

JediFonger

Producer

• 3,949 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 04:56 AM

ron-p, is it because you're not pausing/fast-forwarding, etc.? please let us know your viewing habits cause that might be why you're not having issues. try pausing/resuming/etc. functions during playback.

#13 of 18 OFFLINE   Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,285 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 05:10 AM

I've paused, resumed, FF, RW, done it all with every movie I've watched, just to see what happens, nothing happens everything plays fine.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#14 of 18 OFFLINE   Rob_Walton

Rob_Walton

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 07:10 AM

It seems that some people have just gotten unlucky and recieved a faulty player. Either that or they are using different connections/set-ups.

#15 of 18 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,861 posts

Posted April 27 2006 - 08:53 AM

Ditto ie Ron's experience. No problems with my player at all, hooked up via HDMI to DVI on a Panny 47" CRT, with optical out to Denon AVR-3805 receiver. Looks and sounds great. The slow load time is the only "issue", and that's barely an issue at all to me.

#16 of 18 OFFLINE   Sam Posten

Sam Posten

• 18,462 posts
  • LocationAberdeen, MD & Navesink, NJ

Posted April 28 2006 - 09:47 AM

It's an OK player. If you can be patient, MUCH better ones are coming down the pike. I dont have buyers remorse but I intend to upgrade as soon as there is a player that has: SACD DVD-A Faster start up A better remote is gravy It is DEFINITELY a first gen product and it shows. Sam

I lost my signature and all I got was this Nutter t-shirt

HTF Rules

Classified Sales Rules

UV Sales New Clarifications

#17 of 18 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,323 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 09:54 AM

I've had NO issues with it, either. I highly recommend the player. Great HD and SD upscaling performance!

#18 of 18 OFFLINE   Ian B

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator

• 101 posts

Posted April 29 2006 - 01:09 PM

Well guys, I took the plunge about a week ago from valueelectronics.com for $499.00 with free shipping and 2 movies. So far, I have played several sd dvds and 3 hdd movies with no problems. The picture quality is astounding and rehooked the audio from coaxial to 5.1 analog for true dd+. Hope everyone enjoys theirs as much as I do. IMHO, it was money well spent. Ian B
Ian B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users