Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

New York Doll - beware of edited version!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Marty Christion

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 05:05 AM

For those interested in this excellent documentary, please be aware that there are two versions available. The theatrical version is available through traditional outlets, while an edited version is available from Mormon bookstores. A few swear words have been excised. If you typically do you shopping in Mormon bookstores, make sure you get the one you want. The edited version has a small explanatory note on the back of the DVD case.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   MatthewHA

• 21 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 09:43 AM

I am very interested in seeing New York Doll. I missed it during its short run in my area. Does the editing stick to strickly cutting out the profanity, or is there any other content taken out? I can live with a few F-bombs being taken out, but if it is at the expense of continuity and dialogue, perhaps I would go out of my way to get the unedited. However, I NEVER buy vidoes from such places as Deseret Book. The prices there are ridiculous, and videos never drop below the $20 level. If I was to pick up New York Doll, it will be for $10 or possibly $15. In other words, I will would rather pay less at a traditional outlet for an unedited copy---anyway, I am not into edited films at all.
And my father dwelt in a tent.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

• 7,807 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted April 04 2006 - 10:50 AM

The film without edited language is PG-13, with no f-words to speak of. As far as I recall, the deleted language is of much less severe, Back to the Future type stuff. From what I understand, the director was barely willing to let the language edits happen, and when the LDS distributor suggested a statement/quote on the front of the DVD art selling the film as a pro-missionary conversion story he refused to go along.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   MatthewHA

• 21 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 11:10 AM

If the producer/director refused to go along with that manipulative plot, good for him. I do not believe for one moment that the distributor was thinking of pro-missionary opportunities (as if missionaries and members are going to show the DVD to investigators!)--rather, they are thinking of $ales and marketing strategies from the LDS demographic. I will definately forego the edited version.
And my father dwelt in a tent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users