What's new

All of my favorites are tanking.... (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I'm starting to get very discouraged with this hobby. It seems that most of my favorites which I have been collecting have got a questionable future in regards to future releases. On top of that, with exeption to The Incredible Hulk Season One release announcement, there hasn't been any news that has excited me in months.
Here's a list of my top hitters:

Charlie's Angels - will we see seasons 3-5? I doubt it
Starsky & Hutch - Where the hell is Season 4?
Hunter - What happened to Season 4??
Taxi - What happened to Season 4?
T.J. Hooker - will there be anymore releases?
Night Court - How the heck did this flop???
Who's The Boss? - where's the rest??

I thought most of these would be in the bag this year. Especially Taxi, Starsky & Hunter...
Very discouraging..

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Dan,

Sometimes the hobby can indeed be dissapointing, but "hang in there". The only thing that I've seen consistent in the TV/DVD business are its surprises. Sometimes it seems just when I give up on a series, along comes the announcement at TSoD. I'm also waiting for the remaining seasons that you mentioned, Charlie's Angels, Who's the Boss, Taxi. Who knows why they've fallen into the "Black Hole" in the "un-released Galaxy"? I'd have to guess its the sales #'s of the previous season's but maybe that's not the reason. The majority that's on my list are series that haven't yet seen their 1st season's releases.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least Starsky and Hutch Season 4 has been released in the UK on R2-PAL, so perhaps it's just a matter or time for the R1-NTSC (perhaps they're waiting to tie in to some sort of "special tricked-out" edition of the movie)? Seems everything's about the "tie-in" over here in the States.

If it doesn't make it over here, or if you can't wait, you can at least get a multi-standard all-region player and buy the R2.

Justin V

Auditioning
I too will be hugely disappointed if Anchor Bay stalls on Hunter halfway through.

Season 4 was originally slated for April 2006 but was pulled from the schedule.

Season 3 was a bare bones release on flipper discs at a lower price than Seasons 1 and 2, so I'd guess they're looking at sales before committing to further seasons.

For what it's worth, Cannell says he/Anchor Bay still intend to release Seasons 4-7 and to stay tuned. Fingers crossed.

RoryR

Stunt Coordinator
Who's the Boss kicks itself in the foot, I was going to buy this but living in the UK and it having RCE screws that up - why do they add RCE to titles which won't see the light of day outside the US anyway?

JeffSu

Auditioning
Yeah, I'm totally bummed about "Laverne and Shirley" and "Happy Days" never having a second season. I'm excited about "Facts of Life" coming out in June, but I worry that there will be no more since all my favorites seem to stop at season one.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that people get "hung out to dry" by a season of a TV show being released and then having no follow-up releases. It's sickening. This thread has me curious - does anyone know what series people have been waiting for a follow up season of for the longest time? Whether a season set of a TV show sells a lot or not, once the first set is put out, the people who put it out should commit to putting out the entire series. It boggles my mind that they could cop out by abandoning all plans to continue releasing seasons after one season sells poorly. What a shameless way to rip off the fans of the show.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

It's annoying, but it's stupid to think that a studio should pour money into something that won't make a profit. If that were their stance, they'd all become too bankrupt to fund any releases.

If you ran a record store, would you continue to order an artist's catalog that wasn't selling and was losing money for you just because you don't want to disappoint customers who expect that artist's CD?

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
After the situation with The Mary Tyler Moore Show, I still hold out hope that all of the shows that I've started collecting will eventually get released. The ones that I've been waiting on the longest are, Baretta, S.W.A.T., Charlies Angels, Starsky & Hutch and Barney Miller. Everyting else that I've started seems to be moving along rather well. Universal is a little behind in McMillan and Wife, Quincy, Kojak and Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew, but I haven't given up on them. So far, Baretta is just about the only one that I've written off.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
I understand the reason for hesitation for some studios. It would be prudent, though, for some of the older DVD titles to at least get one more try on DVD. Take Mad About You, for example. It's been...what, three years since a DVD release? At least two. Regardless, the DVD market might be able to support a third season release now. Sony could and, if ratings are huge on Nick at Nite starting next week (hint hint), probably will try a third season release eventually. I hope.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Upsets me too and then the best of's come and that almost hurts more.

What is RCE?

RogerH

Supporting Actor
The only one that has me worried is Airwolf (been almost 1 year since season 1 was released; then nothing :frowning: )

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Scratch that, I know now. Some DVD players can be made Region Free, many of the ways to make it Region Free can also allow you to pick the Region you have so if you have a multi region DVD player, it is probably set to 0. Look online for places that help you find a way to do it on the player's remote. Generally if you have a combination that has a 0, switch that to the region of the DVD, in this case 1 and then your DVD player will be Regfion 1 and will be able to play the DVD. Switch it for non Region 1 use. when done.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
I know people have been waiting a long time for some of these shows-like Charlies Angels and Starksy and Hutch. And I would love to see the rest of Taxi and Who's the Boss and Barney Miller. I realize these studios have to turn a profit-and I am sure they do but they don't make any money off of a product just sitting there either!! I think Sony is the worst right now for starting shows and not finishing them. And what's the deal with Dynasty? If the rights go back to Paramount are they going to continue with it? I haven't gotten too interested in any recent release dates these past few months. May looks better though. And Nightcourt fans are really getting the shaft by Warner Brothers and TVland. I mean-I bought the first season of Nightcourt, but why would I get the best of? And how does it make sense to put on the best of dvd only half of a four part storyline? Or the pilot episode? Why not use the disc space for another ep? And Tvland has preempted Nightcourt so much I sometimes wonder if it is still on. Just for that Warner Brothers gets my smelly catbox award of the year!!!!

Lutz Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lutz
I must say I'm getting pretty worried about Universal. I was really, really looking forward to further season releases of
- McMillan and Wife
- McCloud
- Alfred Hitchcock Presents
- Dragnet
- Night Gallery
- Quincy,
because these are some of my all-time favorites, especially Hitchcock and the McMillans, both of which are in my current rotation and I'm enjoying the heck out of them. But now you can't even find any information about these shows on Universal's website! They are still in their 'A to Z' title listing, but if you click on them, you come up empty... Has anybody heard anything about Universal's plans? Have they really given up on all of those great shows?? And whatever happened to some others they had in the pipeline last year, like "Amazing Stories"?

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
As much as I hate to admit it, I think unfortunatly for all of us, the big bubble has busted for the studios. You will probably see less releases of different classics, and more of the same crap that is on fifteen times a day(you know the ones)It's "safe" for the companies to gamble on Sex & The City, or Friends, then say, Quincy, or Starsky & Hutch...
I was just hoping to wrap up more of my collection before this happened..:frowning:

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

I sure hope this isn't the case. I've been wondering the same thing myself since last year.

Gord, Dave....what's you guy's thinking on this?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'm also a bit worried about the status of:

DRAGNET '68 (nearly a year since the '67 season came out)
ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 2 (though it hasn't been all that long since SEASON 1 streeted)

And, although it was an extremely low-profile release (a Deep Discount DVD exclusive, I think) that probably didn't break even, I wish A&E Home Video would release the other half of the single-season 1960s UK series, THE CHAMPIONS. Of course, sometimes A&E takes their sweet time between installments of their series releases, so who knows.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've got a radical idea for the studios:

If you don't feel like releasing all the episodes, don't bother starting the show at all.

Phyll

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think this means that some of our dvd collections will be incomplete? Is this the end of our favorite shows on dvd? What a bummer. Some of these shows haven't been around for years and I was looking forward to seeing more shows come out of the vaults. It looks like some good shows will be lost forever. I was so looking forward to Get Smart and more Dragnet and Adam-12. Well, maybe a new network tv station will pop up that will start showing some of these shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks