Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Stargate SG-1 thinpak repackaging

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
65 replies to this topic

#1 of 66 John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 08:01 AM

ugh......

This trend is starting to make me question whether or not to hold off on buying anything until its all released.

Personally I already have seasons 1-8 of SG-1 and will NOT be selling them in order to buy the thinpaks sets. Based on the scan over at tvshowsondvd.com, the thinpaks don't look as good as the full-size amamary case sets.

Sure they suck up on shelve space, but each spine has the HEAD of each SG-1 member + the bonus guy, which I like!

TVshowsondvd.com says they asked SONY about offering current owners of the sets the new packaging itself and that SONY appeared to be open to the idea, but wouldn't say whether they'd do it or not...

I would be open to getting the new packaging at a reasonable price.

It's going to suck that seasons 9+ are going to be thinpaks, thus throwing off the look of the entire collection. Personally, I'd wish SONY offer the full-size packaging through the mail, rather than the new packaging. At the very least offer both styles through some sort of mail-in-offer.

Here is a link to the news story:

http://www.tvshowson...cfm?NewsID=5424

#2 of 66 Bill_Nolan

Bill_Nolan

Agent

• 27 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 08:39 AM

I'd be more open to being able to order old-style packaging for the new sets at an additional cost. I don't like those flimsy thin packs.

But I really don't care if they all match on my shelf...

- Bill

#3 of 66 John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
I'd be more open to being able to order old-style packaging for the new sets at an additional cost.

Definitely.

#4 of 66 John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:58 AM

I'd be much more stressed about this if I wasn't already getting away from buying stuff like this.
I have this feeling that I'll be rebuying S1-7 on Blu-Ray sooner rather than later, so I've held of off S8, and Atlantis 1.
It's probably more likely I'll be selling my boxes to a local used CD store as I upgrade to a blu-ray edition of these seasons, rather than concerning myself too much with the slimline packages.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#5 of 66 Valerie G.

Valerie G.

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'd wish SONY offer the full-size packaging through the mail, rather than the new packaging. At the very least offer both styles through some sort of mail-in-offer.

OOOOooooohhhh, that is an awesome idea!

Personally, I actually like the large style Stargate boxes. I think they look really cool, and I like how each case has a piece of the stargate on the spine, and when all 5 are together in the box, it just looks cool. I think it's a really well done package.

I'm glad that we at least got through season 8 with the bulky packaging though. The show really changed alot with season 9, so its probably a good point to start with the slim packaging, if they really feel it is necessary. Even so, I would definetely go in for a mail-in-offer to get the "bulky box" for future seasons.

#6 of 66 Rick P

Rick P

Supporting Actor

• 691 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 01:55 PM

I will be happy if I can just get the cover inserts, I can pickup double thin-paks easily..

#7 of 66 John*D

John*D

Second Unit

• 492 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 04:36 PM

Looks like we'll have to get Champagne to design some big boxes from season 9 on...

#8 of 66 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 05:14 PM

I really thought there would be more people happy with this announcement. Out of the 350+ titles I own, nothing takes up space like my Stargate SG-1 collection. I love the existing packaging but not enough to sacrfice almost two whole racks to it when given a pleasing enough alternative. I only hope that Sony does decide to offer the consumer a way to purchase the first 8 seasons thin paks for their existing collections, cause there is no way I will re-buy... It'd just be cheaper to buy another rack. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#9 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:56 PM

I also have to say I'm disappointed in Sony as well. To stick with the old style with previous sets and then go with new packaging? Sony should be ashamed for screwing the fans over this. They should at least offer to supply the new packaging for a shipping and handling charge for fans who already own the previous seasons.

I don't see Sony offering the packaging to fans of the previous sets since those fans only bought those sets before SOny had acquired them. They'd want to generate new revenue from fans of the series.

As far as holding off buying the sets in favor or blu ray, then why would you do that? Blu Ray would be a waste of the format.

The way I understand it, Blu Ray and HD-DVD take full advantage of digital filming and sound and Stargate SG-1 is just one of those shows that don't use digital filming. I may seem a little ignorant of the format so don't hold that against me.Posted Image

#10 of 66 AlexF

AlexF

Second Unit

• 496 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 12:43 AM

I like the look of the current SG1 sets, and was impressed with Sony when they put out 8 in the 'current' style despite releasing Atlantis in the thinpack style.

I will admit that they do take up a lot of room, but they do look good at the same point.

On the other hand, the gf pointed out that if Sony offered thinpacks to owners of the bigger boxen, we would be sending away for those, even if it meant spending a small amount of money for them.

So, I guess that decides what direction my shelf will be taking. Posted Image

#11 of 66 Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 02:51 AM

I really like the current packaging but it takes up so much room, at this point, I'd rather have the shelf space at this point so hopefully Sony will come up with some sort of exchange.

I guess another question is which version of "Threads" will be included in the repackaged Season 8 set? I'm guessing the full version but time will tell.

#12 of 66 RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 03:35 AM

I haven't picked up this series yet so this is welcome news.

#13 of 66 Arild

Arild

Supporting Actor

• 734 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 04:50 AM

Quote:
Stargate SG-1 is just one of those shows that don't use digital filming.
Actually, it does.

#14 of 66 Pete Battista

Pete Battista

Screenwriter

• 1,959 posts
  • LocationPrincess Anne, Md. USA

Posted April 04 2006 - 04:57 AM

I only picked up the first season of Stargate SG-1... and I must say... I am thrilled to see these going to thinpaks... shelf space is a real problem for me... so I would also welcome the chance to get season 1 slimcases for the set I have.

I see I am in the minority here... but I think this is awesome news!

#15 of 66 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 05:29 AM

Quote:
I also have to say I'm disappointed in Sony as well. To stick with the old style with previous sets and then go with new packaging? Sony should be ashamed for screwing the fans over this.

As I mentioned in my article, they're looking into offering the slim packaging to fans that want it. Sony isn't screwing anyone over. Packaging changes, especially for shows that almost have 9 seasons out in 6 years.

Quote:
The way I understand it, Blu Ray and HD-DVD take full advantage of digital filming and sound and Stargate SG-1 is just one of those shows that don't use digital filming.

Close Mark, but not quite. The new formats take advantage of anything that wasn't mastered to video tape. That includes new shows filmed in HD, but also shows that were done to film. They'll have to tranfer new masters for filmed material, but they'll look much better on the new HD formats.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#16 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 06:52 AM

My bad, Gord. So, how in the world do they transfer shows over to Blu Ray and HD-DVD, especially those shows that weren't filmed in digital?

I'd like to see complete seasons on two-disk sets with HD-DVD at a fraction of the price that it costs for standard DVD sets. Since the new disks hold more content, I'm sure that would drop the price down to about $24.99 to $29.99 per set. But someone, I think the content will remain the same. These studios aren't going to want to lose their profit off that SRP of $44.95 per set.

At any rate, while I'd love to see Sony offer the new packaging to fans of the current sets who have already purchased them I find it doubtful and dubious that they would offer that incentive since the previous sets weren't sold by Sony and they wouldn't be making any money from such an endeavor. I'll probably sell my first seven season sets on eBay for a modest fee and then buy the new packaging. I'd break even, at any rate.

#17 of 66 Jason Delaney

Jason Delaney

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 07:30 AM

Man, I hope they offer smaller cases. One whole shelf on my rack is season 1-8.

#18 of 66 Steven_F

Steven_F

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 08:05 AM

I am definitely for the thinkpacks. I have considered buying thinpacks for SG-1 even without inserts just to save the shelf space. The sets that take up the most space for me is Stargate, original release of Twilight Zone (single layer, but in thin packs), and Monty Python Flying Circus (which I think is in thin pack now). I would definitely pay for the inserts and maybe a box for the new thinpacks.

On the HD/BluRay issue, I find that when I watch TV shows in HD that were filmed on regular camers (non-HD cameras) then it doesn't really look that much better. However things filmed with HD cameras (olympics, sporting events, tonight show, some newer TV shows, etc) look great. The only reason I would rebuy anything on Blu-Ray or HDDVD would be to get an entire season on a single disc. I am more interested in more episodes on disc than I am better quality.

#19 of 66 Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 01:37 PM

Quote:
So, how in the world do they transfer shows over to Blu Ray and HD-DVD, especially those shows that weren't filmed in digital?

The same way they did them for DVD; they transfer the film into a digital file, though it's a larger file than it is for a DVD.

Quote:
I'd like to see complete seasons on two-disk sets with HD-DVD at a fraction of the price that it costs for standard DVD sets. Since the new disks hold more content, I'm sure that would drop the price down to about $24.99 to $29.99 per set. But someone, I think the content will remain the same. These studios aren't going to want to lose their profit off that SRP of $44.95 per set.

You won't see complete seasons on 2 discs (it's a C, not a K) if the episodes are in HD. The higher definition requires a larger file, and a larger file requires more space on a disc. Right now they can fit 4 hours of DVD-quality video on a DVD-9 (approx 9 gigs), so they could squeeze 5.5 discs onto a Blu-ray disc, but that's only if the video quality is DVD quality, which it won't be. I think Blu-ray discs will do approx 4-6 hours of HD content.

There will be added costs to these sets, since some shows/movies will have to be transferred again, and the media (the blank disc) will be more expensive than a blank DVD, so I wouldn't dream of seeing the sets cheaper than DVDs.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#20 of 66 Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted April 04 2006 - 06:52 PM

That's where the problem lies. They're going to have a tough time selling the new format to those of us who already have a huge library of standard DVD's and who're not willing to invest in the new format when the old one works just as well and are forced to pay even higher prices for the newer formats.

The ones who'll be buying the new formast are the tech junkies who have to have the new technology first so they can have bragging rights. It happened when the DVD format hit the market and the same with the CD format.

The problem with this is that it takes the average consumer whuo is on a budget about 5-10 years after the technology has been absorbed into the market before those comsumers actually end up buying the new generation DVD format.

I know I'm a little hesitant in getting into the new format because of the current DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD formats that are out and none seem compatible with each other. Plus, $500 for a standard player? That's a little extreme.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow