Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Heiress SE?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 of 36 OFFLINE   Alejandro

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 10:32 AM

One of William Wyler's best films doesn't have the special edition treatment it deserves, why? With great performances by Ralph Richardson, Montgomery Cliff and of course Olivia de Havilland, who won an academy award, it is a must. Wouldn't it be great that De Havilland would do a commentary. I think the lady is willing. Who owns the rights to the movie?
Fasten your seatbelts!

#2 of 36 OFFLINE   RafaelPires

RafaelPires

Second Unit

• 481 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 10:47 AM

Universal owns it. And has just released it in UK, so maybe we'll get it in R1 soon. I really hope so.

#3 of 36 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 11:40 AM

Universal!?! Hmmmmm.................... Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#4 of 36 OFFLINE   JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 11:56 AM

The Region 2 DVD looks very nice, and it's available from Amazon U.K.

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#5 of 36 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 05:25 AM

The best hope there is of this receiving special edition treatment is to ask Universal to licence it out to Criterion. It is a great, great film.

#6 of 36 OFFLINE   Jodee

Jodee

Screenwriter

• 1,044 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:09 AM

Special edition? I'd just be happy to get a barebones DVD. I'm still amazed that this has never been released.

#7 of 36 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,680 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 07:26 AM

The only VHS I ever owned was The Heiress. I have, of course, recorded it off of TCM onto a DVD-R. But it would be nice to get a real DVD. Can anyone recommend the UK edition? I've never bothered to do this (buy PAL DVDs) but this might be the time to start.

#8 of 36 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 08:37 AM

The UK DVD is a perfectly decent stopgap. The transfer is far from definitive, but aside from possibly benefitting from a higher bitrate (detail tends to get slightly 'blocky' at times), there's nothing especially wrong with it. It's cheap too.

#9 of 36 OFFLINE   DeeF

DeeF

Screenwriter

• 1,680 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 08:39 AM

Cheap for you in London, maybe.

#10 of 36 OFFLINE   Alejandro

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 09:26 AM

and for me in Spain Posted Image

Thank god for amazon.co.uk!
Fasten your seatbelts!

#11 of 36 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted April 03 2006 - 06:03 PM

i got all excited think that there was news of an official R1 release.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#12 of 36 OFFLINE   Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter

• 1,568 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 12:31 AM

I just rewatched this and was floored all over again. The massive prestige Wyler was afforded after The Best Years of Our Lives must have been the only way he could have gotten away with such a brutal film. It's a very uncompromising study of
essentially three unlikable people who ruin each other's lives.
Anyone who likes The Heiress should unquestionably check out Carrie, another remarkably dark Wyler period drama released on a fine DVD by Paramount.

#13 of 36 OFFLINE   AlexCremers

AlexCremers

Second Unit

• 432 posts

Posted May 28 2006 - 04:44 AM

I only saw this movie once but I remember my mouth was open the whole time. I just bought the R2 release and I must say, the image quality could easily be improved upon. Films like these need to be restored to the max. Alex

#14 of 36 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 08:30 AM

i bet that this film will probably be the next movie that universal does under their legacy series line like double indemnity and to kill a mockingbird with all those juicy extras and hopefully some interviews and commentary by olivia de havilland.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#15 of 36 OFFLINE   Shawn Cornwell

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 08:37 AM

Waiting with baited breath for this to be released in region 1- come on, Universal! You finally are bestowing a "Double Indemnity" DVD on the public, why not continue the 'Legacy Series' with a release of this seminal work from director William Wyler? I think Clift, de Havilland, Richardson, and Wyler seldom if ever topped their work in this classic. A DVD would allow new generations to discover one of the great dramas from Hollywood's Golden Age, while fans of "The Heiress" would be first in line to buy the film. I'd take the DVD in any form (film only or with special features), but a SE with a de Havilland commentary would be amazing.
Favorite Classics Not on DVD: One Hour With You, She Done Him Wrong, These Three, A Women's Face, The Magnificent Ambersons, The Hard Way ('43), The Human Comedy, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Cluny Brown, Margie, The Search, Beyond the Forest, Flamingo Road, Intruder in the Dust, The African...

#16 of 36 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 12,869 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted May 29 2006 - 04:00 PM

I, too, burned my own DVD-R copy of the film from a TCM broadcast because I got tired of waiting for an official one. It's one of my favorite all-time films. I like Ralph Richardson very much, but how I wish Basil Rathbone (who won a Tony for his stage performance) had been tapped to repeat Dr. Sloper for the film!

#17 of 36 OFFLINE   Alejandro

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 29 2006 - 11:54 PM

I think the cast is just perfect but certainly I wouldn't have imagined them in their roles just for reading the script. I mean, commo'n, Olivia was pretty, in a motherly kind of way but, besides her made up eyebrows she is still too lovely to be a hopeless bride. Then again, she is "perfect" in the role, innocent and sloppy at the beginning and so believably bitter at the end. And Monty, which such a noble face, you keep wondering if he could possibly "feel" anything. Such a great film. Searching the internet I came across this interesting anecdote: "In 1993, Tom Cruise and director Mike Nicholas were considering a remake (of the Heiress) until they screened the original and realized that it couldn't possibly be improved upon" Thank god. There's this one scene in the film I can't never forget, in which Morris Townsend leaves accidentally? his glove in the house and Catherine looks at it in awe, then she places her hand carefully over it for a second just like she is caressing it. It's a moment charged with sexuality and romantic longing. Is it just me or there aren't many directors out there capable of such subtlety?
Fasten your seatbelts!

#18 of 36 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 01:57 AM

WASHINGTON SQUARE (1997) was a based on the original Henry James novel that inspired the Goetz adaptation. It starred Jennifer Jason Leigh, Albert Finney, and Maggie Smith. It can't "touch" the Wyler fim.
Charles Hoyt

#19 of 36 OFFLINE   Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit

• 454 posts
  • LocationCastaic, CA

Posted May 30 2006 - 05:10 AM

For you Olivia de Havilland fans...

http://www.oscars.or....ute/index.html

(You might be especially interested in this screening at the LACMA:

Sunday, June 18 at 8 p.m.
The Heiress (1949); featuring a conversation with Ms. de Havilland in person)

#20 of 36 OFFLINE   Alejandro

Alejandro

Stunt Coordinator

• 186 posts

Posted May 30 2006 - 06:02 AM

Wow! Thanks Jonathan for the info. I wish I could be there! Isn't it interesting that the only screening she'll attend "in person" is The Heiress? Can it be that those guys at Universal are up to something? Anyone?
Fasten your seatbelts!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users