Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF REVIEW: The Chronicles of Narnia - THOROUGHLY RECOMMENDED

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 of 103 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 03:06 AM

Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 103 OFFLINE   RogerH

RogerH

Supporting Actor

• 877 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 03:51 AM

Thanks for the review. I saw this in the theatres and enjoyed it ALOT. Can't wait til tuesday to pick this one up (2 disc edition of course, I don't usually go for the extras but with certain movies I gotta have the extras and this is one of them).

#3 of 103 OFFLINE   Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 04:41 AM

Thanks David, The time you spent on describing the extras is very much appreciated. I was going to get the single disc as I have been continually doing this last year, but now feel this widescreen 2-disc SE set is a must. Thanks again, Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#4 of 103 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 31,196 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted April 01 2006 - 05:17 AM

Gee, Dave. I wish you could be more thorough.

Posted Image

I don't know HOW we missed gettting to this at the theater...but I will be in line Tuesday at Best Buy. Ordinarily, I'd be somewhere else, but BB hooked me with the $5 off Bambi if I pre-ordered TLTWaTW with them Oh well. At least I'm guaranteed the 2-disc will be there for me Tuesday....or else! Posted Image

Thanks for a most excellent review, David.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#5 of 103 OFFLINE   JoshB

JoshB

Supporting Actor

• 901 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 05:33 AM

I just got this the other day (the 2-disc set) A strong transfer and an amazing soundtrack, especially DTS. Some of the extras ae also very good as well. A very fine product from Disney.
"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards out of men."

Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 06-08.
Operation Iraqi Freedom Campaign Veteran, 09-10.

Operation Enduring Freedom Campaign Veteran, 12-13.

#6 of 103 ONLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 41,770 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 05:38 AM

Geez, Dave, you think you could put a
little more effort into what you write?! Posted Image

You never cease to provide this forum with
some of the best reviews that can be found
anywhere on the Internet. It is a pleasure
to read your thoughts and equally to have you
here on our staff.

I read The Lion, Witch & The Wardrobe
twice throughout my childhood and teen years. The
book is perfect for letting one's imagination
roam freely. You read a book like this and the
film is already played out in your mind.

I too wondered if Disney could pull this off
and was quite surprised that they did. Though
I was a little dismayed that (compared to LOTR) the
battle sequences were reduced to a G-Rated skirmish,
I think the makers did an incredible job of being
faithful to the book.

My 2-disc set arrived yesterday and I plan to
sit down and watch it tonight. Looking forward
to the DTS presentation that you raved out.

Glad to hear that it lived up to your expectations.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#7 of 103 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Archivist

• 7,836 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 05:53 AM

David, I agree with your assessment on all counts. An enjoyable film, probably moreso to those who grew up on the book, with a very nice cinema-like transfer. Great work on the review, and apologies for the words "A few words about..." that my goons spray painted on your lawn. The grass will still grow nicely around it. RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#8 of 103 OFFLINE   David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 06:25 AM

Great review, as usual, David! Your attention to detail is highly appreciated.

I've been eagerly awaiting this title since seeing the film back in December. Easily the best film I saw last year, the SE will make a fine birthday present.

Are there really two featurettes on Jadis aka the White Witch? It would seem that list is missing a key class of creatures (and stunning visual effect): the Nymphs. Posted Image
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#9 of 103 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 08:19 AM

So it's official, then, yes? No one but me feels cheated and offended by the lack of trailers on so many high-profile releases like this one these days?
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#10 of 103 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 08:36 AM

Travis,

you know...the lack of trailers completely eluded me when going through the bonus features. You're absolutely right...that would have been nice.

But what *really* ticks me off regarding the trailer for this film is that the D*&! preview-trailer that appeared on just about *every* Disney DVD for months leading up to this release...presented the Narnia trailer in crapola-4x3 letterbox edited and flagged as "video" which creates havok with any deinterlacer.

Had that not been the case, then at the very least I'd have about 50 copies of the Narnia trailer worth watching on all my other Disney DVDs. Instead they force-fed me a preview-trailer that might as well have been a blown-up VHS.

16x9 encoding and 480P 24 fps editing of movie trailers is *good*.

My goof. Edited (one feature only for the witch). Nymphs don't get their own spot but you see them covered a bit with Mr. Tumnus and the Centaurs...

Thanks for the compliments all...this review took me *hours* but was a pleasure to write and to share with you!

dave Posted Image

#11 of 103 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,601 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 01 2006 - 10:36 AM

Posted Image That one might be classified as a little TMI, David!! Posted Image

Great review (as always). Looking forward to enjoying this film again Tuesday night (I did the PP pre-order deal as well).
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#12 of 103 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 02:54 PM

Actually, I'd probably would give Walden Media a lot of the credit. They've did a real good job with adapting "Holes" and "Because Of Winn Dixie". (Unfortunatly, "Around The World In 80 Days" was a misfire.) But, they earned a lot of goodwill with me with Holes, which was much better than expected. Jason

#13 of 103 OFFLINE   Bill Thomann

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 04:32 PM

I loved it in the theater & after reading your review I'm really anticipating Tuesday morning when the 2 disc shall be mine. I'm leaning toward getting it at Target w/free lithograph. As always, a terrific & very comprehensive review. Posted Image Posted Image

#14 of 103 OFFLINE   James D S

James D S

Screenwriter

• 1,002 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 08:30 PM

I'm all over this come Tuesday. Thanks for the great review!

#15 of 103 OFFLINE   Chris Parham

Chris Parham

Stunt Coordinator

• 72 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 02:25 AM

Great review! I'm sold Posted Image .

I can't believe how far we've come in terms of film presentation in the home. It's been a huge jump from when letter-boxed laserdiscs were the best way to do this. Are we actually discussing ways in which the home presentation can actually look BETTER than the theatrical? Better than film?? - Did you ever think you'd see the day?
Back in the heyday of LD, it was never thought possible. Film was king. Am I the only one floored by this? I now sometimes catch myself complaining about minuscule artifacts on anamorphic DVD transfers that a few short years ago I would have deemed film-like!
I can't wait to watch TLTWATW in my HOME theater and see a presentation that rivals it's theatrical!

#16 of 103 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 02:39 AM

Chris, I know exactly what you mean. My first "we've come a long way baby" epiphany happened when reviewing the Lion King and Aladdin DVDs. Remember how those laserdiscs were *REFERENCE* in every way? Well...the DVDs made the picture of those laserdisc look like a noisy, burrly mess (I got out my lasers for the DVD reviews). Wow. I couldn't even *imagine* watching those laserdisc now that I know what a decent picture can really look like!
To be fair, as a *format*, 35mm film has vastly more resolution and color space than even a theoretically perfect 1920 x 1080 image (why they do all archiving and mastering in 4K...which still isn't adequate for large-format films like 65/70mm). However, most release prints we see our our local theaters typically fall well below the capabilities of 35mm and that is why it's possible that 1080P might produce an equal or better image in home projection...not because it's better than film...but because it just happened to be better than the quality of the relese prints sent to your local cinema for a particular film (or projection of it...I can't tell you how many times I've watched movies that weren't properly matted or focused!!!)

#17 of 103 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 03:01 AM

I will probably go with the single disc since the cheapest price I can find is at $15.00 whereas the 2-disc version is almost doulbe that price. I did enjoy the movie very much, but with such a price difference between the two (sale prices) I can't justify spending that much more for extras.

#18 of 103 OFFLINE   James D

James D

Second Unit

• 427 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 04:38 AM

Brett-do you live in the northeast? The reason that I ask is that there's a chain of supermarkets called Stop & Shop. Last week, they had the single disc version of King Kong listed in their weekly ad for $14.99. The good news is that the 2 disc version also scanned for the same $14.99. In the current sales flyer, the single disc version of Narnia is listed for $14.99. I'm hoping that they do the same thing for Narnia that they did with Kong and get the 2 disc version for $14.99. You need to have a Stop & Shop discount card to get the discount(you can get the card for free at the customer service desk).Posted Image

#19 of 103 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 04:46 AM

Brett, totally your call. But IMO having actually *seen* the extras I can assure you I think that the 2-disc set would be well worth getting even if the single disc version was FREE.

#20 of 103 OFFLINE   Brett_B

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

• 738 posts

Posted April 02 2006 - 05:05 AM

Dave,

You are making this situation even more difficult. My arm was already hurting after reading your review, now you are about to twist my arm off with that last comment. Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DVD Reviews

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users