What's new

David Bowie: Serious Moonlight Re-release (1 Viewer)

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Has anybody had a chance to watch the new release of David Bowie's concert film of the early 1980's "Lets Dance" tour?

I never bought the previous DVD version because I had heard that the picture quality wasn't any better than my LD version.

Apparently, this new version also has a DTS track.

Thanks,

C

Steve.P

Agent
Thanks, Aaron. I'm getting there - slowly :)

Never again will I collect music as rabidly as I did before the storm. I mean, how do you even begin to replace a lifetime's collection? The Bowie stuff alone was worth over $100,000...

Still, I'm one of the lucky ones. I have my life and a new roof over my head. And I'm working on replacing my movie collection!

MattHR

Screenwriter
I bought it, expecting the DTS track to be the only potential improvement. I was very surprised to find the video to be greatly improved also! The show was shot on videotape, under difficult lighting conditions, so has always had a somewhat "soft" appearance. The new DVD has much greater shadow detail and improved color saturation. The colors of Bowie's suits and the stage are are very vibrant -- for the first time.

As much as the video was improved, I found the DTS track to be an even bigger improvement. It really opens up the soundstage. My prior versions (2 US LDs, 2 Japanese LDs, 1 US DVD & Japanese Ricocchet LD) almost sound mono in comparison.

I've loved the cover art for each edition, but this new DVD is the best yet -- utilizing a graphic from the tour programs and 12" singles from Let's Dance. Very classy! This is my favorite concert video ever -- one I was happy to purchase for the sixth time!

P.S. Steve -- My heart goes out to you. :frowning: I felt physically sick reading about your tragedy. Homes can be rebuilt -- but a collection like that, with all the years and hard work into it -- I just don't know what I'd do. Thank god you are safe, and I wish you the best of luck in your life.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Holy frijoles! What sort of stuff did you have?

Sounds like this disc is worth picking up. Thanks, Matt!

Steve.P

Agent

Well, you can never have everything, but there was a LOT of stuff. I was considered one of the biggest collectors on the Bowie scene, particularly when it came to CDs. I actively pursued every CD single, every promo, and every bootleg, worldwide. Then there was the memorabilia, original artwork, signed posters, etc.

I was heartbroken when I saw this covered in mold on the bedroom floor. But you've got to move on, otherwise you'll drive yourself nuts. In a weird way, it's a weight off my back to be rid of it all.

I did manage to save a few of the rarer things (1987 4CD DIR Glass Spider show, the original, private pressing of All Saints, some BBC transcription discs, etc.) that, mercifully, were not kept with the main part of the collection. Only about 40 CDs, but it's something.

Thank you all for your kind words. It makes me happy to hear that people care :) Like I say, I really am one of the lucky ones. My girlfriend's house (just outside of New Orleans) survived relatively intact, so I've moved in there and we're doing fine.

Cheers, y'all!

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Huh. I came across the regular edition of the Sound and Vision box, not this wooden box mind you, in a record store not long ago for about $50, pristine used condition, and I bought a copy of the CD-V on its own for under $10 a couple of years back. I would never have guessed that it could bring such a high price!

Steve.P

Agent

The standard Ryko edition was in print for about eight years, although they did repackage it a couple of times during the mid-'90s, first replacing the original CD-V with a CD-Rom, and then in a simple slipcase, which dropped the bonus disc entirely. Actually, the real psycho collectors among you (!) should note that there are two different pressings of the CD-V: one plays the video mix of "Ashes to Ashes" on a regular CD player, the other doesn't. The price went up for a while around the turn of the millennium, but it settled down again after an updated edition was issued in 2003. $50 seems pretty reasonable for a mint copy.

The wooden box is in a different league altogether. This signed limited edition of 350 copies (349 now!) was immediately snapped up in pre-orders by big collectors. The original price was around $300. It was never available in stores, and it rarely changes hands, ever. EIL's $2,500 price tag is a little over the top, IMO, but then again you can pretty much ask what you want for it these days.

Sorry for pushing this way off-topic :) The Serious Moonlight DVD sounds great, but it would take a '74, '76, or '95 tour video to tempt me to put my hand in my pocket again.

Ste

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
My CD-V [the first CD-V single I manged to buy, though I have others now] is the one which has "Ashes to Ashes" as the fourth audio track, following "John, I'm Only Dancing", "Changes" [from my limited acquaintance with Bowie, the best version I've heard], and "The Supermen". Did the other version have a different selection #4, or did it have only the three live tracks on the Audio Part? Incidentally, some of the old extended music video/short film things intrigue me — Supertramp's Brother where You Bound for example. Another one which was issued on 8" LaserDisc was Bowie's Jazzin' for Blue Jean. I thought someone in this thread might know: is there any reason to prefer the US-release LD over the Japanese, or vice versa?

Steve.P

Agent

I don't know that there's much of a difference, to be honest.

Jazzin' for Blue Jean is available as an easter egg on the Best of Bowie DVD. Click on the ) symbol on the tracklisting display. You will notice the picture change on the right hand side. Highlight and click to play. Hey presto! The full 21-minute Jazzin' for Blue Jean film.

There are a bunch of other easter eggs on the Best of Bowie DVD. Check the video section on this site for full details.

MattHR

Screenwriter

The U.S. LD for Blue Jean was a CAV 12" disc. I think the Japanese version may have been an 8", but I'm not sure. It was the long-form version -- like Michael Jackson's Thriller -- in that there was a short movie-like story that led up to the title song's performance. There was an abbreviated version of the video played in regular rotation on MTV. Both versions of the video are available on The Best of Bowie DVD video compilation, with the long version as an "easter egg."

There was an 8" Bowie U.S. LD called simply David Bowie. It was also CAV and contained the music videos for
Let's Dance, China Girl and Modern Love. IIRC, it contained the "uncensored" version of China Girl.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Oh man, I really feel your pain, as a fellow Bowie fan and collector (not that my collection is anyhere near what yours was). Seeing that really hurt :frowning:.

I have the new DVD but haven't had time for more than a quick sample yet, PQ is improved compared to the Pioneer DVD I had previously, and the Ricochet 'documentary' (using the word in a loose sense) in an extended form will be interesting to watch.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
After reading this Friday night, I decided this was something I'd really like to get, but then I saw how much it cost and decided to put it on the backburner. As luck would have it, I was at the local Suncoast yesterday, looking for a fourth title to get me to 60% off. I found a copy of Best of Bowie hidden among the drama DVD's, and got it for 13.99. I felt awful reading about Steve's loss, but am thankful for the recommendation and great find.

Steve.P

Agent
Thanks, guys. There is life after collecting, I promise!

Scott: here are those BOB easter eggs in full. Some of them are a little awkward to cue up, but it's worth persevering. The alternate "OYPT" is great.

1. 'Oh! You Pretty Things' (Old Grey Whistle Test, Take 2) — DVD 1: click on 'Play All', every second time the alternative version will appear.

2. Interview with David Bowie and Russell Harty (before 'Drive-In Saturday') — DVD 1: click on the hyphen on the tracklisting display.

3. Screen ad for forthcoming Ziggy Stardust DVD — DVD 1: click on the lightning bolt logo on the tracklisting display.

4. 'Jazzin' For Blue Jean' (21 minute promo) — DVD 1: click on the ) symbol on the tracklisting display. You will notice the picture change on the right hand side. Highlight and click to play.

5. 'Blue Jean' (MTV performance recorded at The Wag Club) — DVD 1: whilst you are playing the 'Jazzin' For Blue Jean' video, when the girl goes to the jukebox (at 1'40"), click on Enter when you see the David Bowie image appear.

6. 'Day-In Day-Out' (Extended Mix) — DVD 2: click on 'Play All', every 2nd time the Extended Mix will appear.

7. 'Miracle Goodnight' (remix) — DVD 2: play the 'Miracle Goodnight' video, wait 5 minutes on the tracklist display and click Enter.

8. 'Seven Years In Tibet' (Mandarin version) — DVD 2: click on the Mandarin symbol on the subtitle page.

9. 'Survive' (live in Paris 1999) — DVD 2: click on 'Play All', every second time the live version will appear.

Btw, I was in the front row for that live performance of "Survive" in Paris. You might even see my bald head in a couple of shots :) Katrina couldn't take my memories.

Ste

MattHR

Screenwriter

I grew so tired with the hassle of accessing these "eggs" on the Bowie discs (and the Duran Duran set) I decided to rip all of them onto their own disc -- thereby creating 3-disc sets. Now I can just throw on that disc and let all the "eggs" play continuously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks