Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

help with connecting samsung dvd-r to tv

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   kahlilJ

kahlilJ

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 03:55 PM

I recently bought the samsung dvd-vr325. Does anyone know how to set this unit up so that it can be selected from my television's AV1 or AV2 input? This seems simple enough to answer easily, but I can only get my vr325 to display on my TV if the TV channel is set to 3 (or 4). I replaced my Sony VCR with the vr325. I used the same connections for the vr325 as i had with the VCR i.e., the output from the vr325 connected to my stereo receiver & then from my receiver to the TV's AV1 inputs. I basically want to be able to play my vr325 by changing the input selection on my TV (AV1 or AV2, etc.) & not by changing the TV channel. hope this makes sense.

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 01:52 PM

It sounds as if you you currently have it connected with a coax/antenna. You need to connect it with a left and right audio cable and video, S-cable or component cables into eith AV1 or AV2 input.

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   kahlilJ

kahlilJ

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted March 30 2006 - 06:18 PM

reginald, thanks for your response. it does seem like that is the only connection my tv is recognizing, but i did have the other a/v cables connected. here's what i did tonight: i tried various combinations of connections & 2 things i am certain of: 1) there is a problem going thru my receiver with the samsung output (regardless of the samsung signal being the tv tuner, vcr or dvd). i say this because i tried two output signal connection options from the samsung (S-video & composite) thru the receiver & neither worked. but when i tried those same connections directly to the tv, they did work. the odd thing to me is, i never had a problem going thru my receiver using the old vcr & i even tried the samsung signal thru 2 different inputs (AV1 & AV2) on the receiver. 2) it seems that my s-video cable is no longer working or maybe has a short in it? when i first did the direct connection from the samsung to my tv using this cable, i got a signal. that is, tv was set to AV1 & samsung was playing (tape or tv from its on-board tuner). the s-video (& audio) cables were connected to the tv's AV1 inputs. all was fine, except one thing - everything was in black & white! no color- except i could see a small blue shaded area in the left corner of the tv. i switched tv channels on the samsung (it has on-board tv tuner) - same thing. no color. changed the source on the samsung from tv to a tape - same result, no color. i thought my s-video cable was compromised somewhere. so i tried to ensure it was fairly straight going to the tv & not bent. i pulled it out, re-inserted & nothing. TV display went blank - no audio nor anything! i switched back to composite cables & everything was fine: i had color; TV was set to AV1 & i could view the samsung's output (TV, tape or DVD). so i went back to trying to pass signal thru receiver - nada! same result as before - no signal (audio nor video). i am still baffled why i am unable to pass a signal thru my receiver using either s-video or composite. i also realize that the samsung will work with my tv as i expected it to, but my receiver obviously is not cooperating.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 05:18 PM

I never run any cabling thru my recievers. Running cabling thru recievers adds another unnecessary connection which could lead to the types of problems you are having.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   kahlilJ

kahlilJ

Agent

• 39 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 09:00 AM

yeah tell me about it, but to each his own. anyone out there with some helpful advice?