What's new

The Flaming Lips: At War with the Mystics 4/4/06 (1 Viewer)

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Anyone else anxiously awaiting this release. I've heard quite a bit from it due to leaks and was quite amazed. At first glance, kind of a return to the "Clouds" "Transmissions" era.

I have 10th row tix for their July 23rd Hollywood Bowl Show btw.

Let's hear some reviews

You can stream the entire album on their official site

At War with the Mystics

click the audio section

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I heard some of the new songs when I heard them at Langerado 2 weeks back, sounded pretty solid, always very excited for a new Lips album :emoji_thumbsup:

kamyiu

Stunt Coordinator
i saw them last night in san francisco, second time seeing them live. what a spectacle, i loved it. they covered bohemian rhapsody and war pigs. they played a few new songs which sounded great, i haven't heard the new album yet. so not really the review you're looking for, but just wanted to show a lil love for the flips.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I have heard it all now but will wait for the actual release date to review it. With the iTunes pre-order you get their version of Bohemian Rhapsody and another bonus track. Yes, Kamyiu when I saw them in San Diego this last July, the Queen cover was a religious experience. It was so loud 311 had to stop playing on the other stage. They are the epitome of a psychedelic experience not only on record but especially live. Glowing suns, people in animal suits, disco balls, balloons.....it is the most amazing experience I've ever had

A band I would try very hard to encourage Jack Briggs to give a listen.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
My only experience with The Flaming Lips are two DVD-A 5.1 releases, "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" and "The Soft Bulletin". I purchased both of these based on reviews of the entertaining surround sound but I could hardly call these guys loud rockers. Both of the albums are certainly different, silly, fun, interesting, anything but what I would call rock and roll. It sounds like the live show currently is more recognizable as rock and roll. My only experience prior to buying these two albums was listening to 29 second snippets at AMG which mostly had me scratching my head and wondering what all of the hoopla was about and wondering if I would like the music.

Is "At War With the Mystics" more of the silly punk/bubblegum music of the two I own or something different? I like both of the albums but don't want any more like them.

Chris

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Mystics is decidedly more "rock n' roll" than the last two records.

The last two records are the least "rock n' roll"-sounding albums in their entire catalogue.

Check out their website (linked in the first post) to listen to the full album in (I believe) it's entirety, and hear it for yourself.

The DVD-A version won't be out for a while so you'll have plenty of time to decide whether to add it to your collection or not.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
The general consensus has been "it's more rock n' roll." First off, I disagree with this statement.
The mush-roomy pillowyness of "Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots" is still here. The Lips though, have chosen to layer this with that half-depressed wah-pedal sitar-like twang. Which pays
homage to that late-60's guitar sound. And as much of music today is rehash, the Lips I believe are channeling less obvious influences.
The obvious: Zappa, Queen,Pink Floyd, ELO. The lesser obvious: Camel, ELP and other progressive acts. I read this quote though in the Guardian "It's fitting that Coyne and musical linchpin Steven Drozd first bonded over a Todd Rundgren song; Rundgren's marriage of sweet pop-soul and lysergic freakery on his 1973 album, A Wizard,
A True Star is the closest point of comparison." That was it! I couldn't quite finger it. This is very Todd Rundgren's Utopia e.g Oops, Wrong Planet, RA period albums.
A tinge weaker lyrically IMO. The return to the Ronald Jone's style guitar sound is nice but very subdued. In its' defense I'm un-enhanced at the office on my third listen now. I can't wait to get this home on the system with a special blend. Then let it fly.
I believe like "Yoshimi" this will take quite a few listens to eventually find its' intention.

At this point:
I give it a B

Grammar Nazis- I am fully aware of the use of non-existent words within my review. Space is the place.

matthewRaz

Stunt Coordinator
picked up the album just now and they play in town tonight - will try to get some tics.

release date for the cd/dvd-a is listed as tues. sept. 12 '06. nice to see a band embrace a hi-rez format as par for the course.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
If you purchase through iTunes, you get a pretty cool unlisted track in additiona to all the bonus tracks. 16 tracks in all.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
I have listened to Mystics at the Flaming Lips site and it is different enough that I might consider the DVD-A when it is available. One thing in their advantage is not many rock albums are released in DVD-A now. It may sound strange but I get the feeling I will like that one more after several listens while the two I own are becoming less interesting after listening a few times.

Chris

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I never really could get on board with the Lips until the last couple of albums -- you know, the "silly", "pillowy", "bubblegum" ones. They put the earlier albums in context for me. This is an act coming to the peak of its bell curve, with lyrical content considerably darker and more serious than it might sound coming out of the mouth of Wayne Coyne.

At the moment, their less-relevant records are a few years behind them, so I would not welcome a reversion to "Zaireeka", "Clouds" or even "Transmissions". Hey, but bring on the crunchy electric guitars. It doesn't sound like a step backwards.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I agree but Jone's and Coyne's guitars from "Clouds" on back was an integral part of the band's sound. Where as now it is more accompaniment or garnish if you will. A moot point by me though as this album is growing on me more and more. This album truly is spectacular. Take track 6 "The Wizard Turns On" with its' Fender Rhodes, flute and maj7 flare. This track sounds like Gil Scott-Heron's more jazzy-rock stuff ala "The Vulture." I find something new every listen. This band has snailed its' way to success and Warner Bros. has stood right by them. Steve, I don't think "The Lips" can step "backward"; their imaginations don't seem to allow it. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Until tonight, the only things I knew about the Flaming Lips were She Don't Like Jelly, which I didn't like at the time, and some other song they performed live on TV a few years later, which I did. I'm really loving the songs I'm listening to on their website, however. I'll have to pick some of this up sometime soon.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

Don't forget that it will be coming out on DVD-Audio later this year, if that means anything to you. I heard most of these songs live so I'm excited to hold out for that release.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I think my sound card can handle DVD-A, but I don't have the speaker setup to make it worthwhile right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks