Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Blu-Ray Disc question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 01:31 AM

Not to seem stupid but with the new Blu-Ray discs that will be coming out will they play in a regular machine or will I have to upgrade all of my players?

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor

• 885 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 01:41 AM

You will need to upgrade and it will cost you quite a bit if you buy one when they first come out ($1000+)

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 07:51 AM

Regular DVDs will play in a new Blu-Ray player and actually upscale to 720p via HDMI connection, but a Blu-Ray disc will NOT play in a standard DVD player. Sorry.

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 05:57 AM

Thanks for the info!

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,533 posts

Posted March 29 2006 - 08:18 AM

In contrast, supposedly at least some HD-DVDs will have at least some discs that will be double sided, with the hidef version on one side and a regular DVD version on the other, so you can buy and play them on your DVD player, then play the hidef side when you get a hidef player.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman

Screenwriter

• 2,714 posts

Posted March 31 2006 - 05:57 AM

And may be limited to 15 GB on one side and 5 GB on the other depending upon the viability of bonding a dual layered 30 GB HD-DVD and a dual layered 8.5 GB DVD disc together.

I hate dual sided discs, and DualDiscs suck!! They should have two separate disc formats in the package if they want to release one UPC. In the long run, it's a better way to transition.

Dan

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 03:00 PM

Dual-discs wouldn't bother me if in practice it means *NO* compromise to either the SD or the HD presentation.

Of course, even then the downside is that to get a DVD-9 and a dual-layer HD DVD you've got to go double-sided...which means a flipper with no silk-screen art. Call me picky, but I HATE dual-sided DVDs that I have to read with a microscope to put in the player and then end up getting finger prints on one side getting them in and out of the package.

Picky I know but I'd rather a 2-disc SE than a DVD-18 any day of the week for that very reason....which is one reason why I'm not hot on the idea of dual-sided "dual discs".

Now...if they could give you a 2-layer DVD *and* a 2-layer HD all from ONE side of a disc...THAT would be a dual-disc solution you wouldn't hear me complain about!
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.