Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Anchor Bay to re-release their Hammer Films collection!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
54 replies to this topic

#1 of 55 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 25 2006 - 08:59 AM

Apparently, Tom Bambard of Anchor Bay Entertainment revealed the info at the recent Fangoria Weekend of Horrors convention. From a quote posted at the Roobarb forum:

Quote:
Tom Bambard of Anchor Bay Entertainment talks us through some DVD news for 2006...

...and a remastered collection of Hammer films with new features (these are to be released in 2007).

And I've just started to knuckle under and pick up the remaining Anchor Bay double-feature Hammers I don't have...should I wait?

Anchor Bay Hammer announcement at Roobarb

#2 of 55 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 25 2006 - 03:19 PM

I thought the rights went to Blue Underground, and that they had no plans for them at this time? But of course things can chane.

#3 of 55 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 03:23 AM

Anchor Bay still has the rights to some Hammer films, which begs the question which films are being remastered?

Unfortunately, I think Blue Underground has the rights to the one film that immediately jumps out at me as needing a remaster, Dracula Prine of Darkness.

Still. Interesting.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#4 of 55 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 06:13 AM

The titles that Anchor Bay supposedly lost the rights to are the inital batch of 20 (later released in 10 2-disc sets):[list=1][*]Dracula Prince Of Darkness (*)[*]Satanic Rites Of Dracula (*)[*]Shatter[*]Abominable Snowman[*]Four-Sided Triangle[*]Legend Of The 7 Golden Vampires (*)[*]Vengeance Of She (*)[*]Viking Queen (*)[*]Prehistoric Women (*)[*]Plague Of The Zombies[*]Lost Continent[*]Reptile[*]Witches[*]Devil Rides Out[*]Rasputin The Mad Monk[*]Quatermass 2[*]Quatermass & The Pit (*)[*]X The Unknown[*]Frankenstein Created Woman[*]Mummy's Shroud[/list=1]
(*) = NON-ANAMORPHIC

Then they released an additional 10 titles in conjuction with Studio Canal. These titles are still in print as far as I know. The transfers of these films are particularly good and most if not all feature commentary tracks:[list=1][*]Scars Of Dracula[*]Demons Of The Mind[*]Lust For A Vampire[*]Hell Is A City[*]Straight On Till Morning[*]Blood From The Mummy's Tomb[*]Dr. Jekyll And Sister Hyde[*]Horror Of Frankenstein[*]Fear In The Night[*]To The Devil A Daughter[/list=1]

...and in a few weeks they will release 1 more title (leased from 20th Century Fox):[list=1][*]The Anniversary[/list=1]

I'll be very interested to see how this plays out... wish I had more info now so I can ditch the existing versions at the current high prices.

#5 of 55 Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 08:52 AM

I believe AB were allowed to renew their rights to the William Lustig/Blue Underground package because Lustig felt they were of no futher commercial value.

AB flooded the market with their cheap double features, and other countries started to exploit those same films. Lustig no longer had the market cornered. That's why the double feature discs are still available (except the Dracula duo). They were originally going to be pulled off the shelves in '04.

#6 of 55 Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 09:57 AM

Quote:
I believe AB were allowed to renew their rights to the William Lustig/Blue Underground package because Lustig felt they were of no futher commercial value.

I half wondered if that wasn't the case as soon as I heard this news, however I am interested to know where you remember hearing this?

As big a fan of Hammer films as I am, I cannot see upgrading many of Anchor Bay's Hammer films from the list of films that they definitely have rights to. Rather, I wish they'd focus more on the non-anamorphic ones and securing the rights to unreleased R1 Hammers.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#7 of 55 soop.spoon

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

• 760 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 10:09 AM

Are there any unreleased Hammer films owned by Fox? AB seems to have a good relationship with them lately.

#8 of 55 Brandon Gantt

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit

• 344 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 12:56 PM

Quote:
Are there any unreleased Hammer films owned by Fox? AB seems to have a good relationship with them lately.

The Nanny (1965) Starring Bette Davis. Davis' other Hammer film, The Anniversary, is being released in April by AB.

#9 of 55 CameronMcC

CameronMcC

Second Unit

• 298 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 06:36 PM

good news, as I missed some of the double feature disc

#10 of 55 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted March 26 2006 - 06:47 PM

I cannot find the double bill of ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN/SHATTER anywhere, but I see PRINCE OF DARKNESS/SATANIC RITES in most Tower Records still!

#11 of 55 John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,419 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 26 2006 - 10:48 PM

*Ignore*
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#12 of 55 Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 02:33 AM

I will glady repurchase all the non-anamorphic ones if they have new transfers but not any of the others as they were all nice to begin with.
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

Top 20 Films

#13 of 55 Russell G

Russell G

Lead Actor

• 9,648 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 27 2006 - 03:23 AM

I never bought any on these, so I'm hoping for a series of box sets!
My wallet cries me to sleep!

This post kills threads!

#14 of 55 Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 27 2006 - 04:15 AM

The three double-features you can't find except for high prices are:

DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS/THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA
THE ABOMINABLE SNOWMAN/SHATTER
QUATERMASS 2/QUATERMASS AND THE PIT

The rest are available through various online shops, though I haven't seen any in stores for a long long time. Are they really still in print, or did some unsold stock just turn up? If they are still in print, why wouldn't the three above-named releases still be too? Although, at least I only need DRACULA, PRINCE OF DARKNESS and QUATERMASS 2 out of those.

I wish I knew which films were being re-released...

#15 of 55 Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 06:44 AM

That DRACULA double feature is readily available on the shelves of every Borders in Las Vegas. I just saw it again yesterday.

#16 of 55 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 09:09 AM

I wish Anchor Bay would license the many unreleased Hammers that Columbia is sitting on (though I suppose STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY and TERROR OF THE TONGS might be too much even for them).

#17 of 55 JohnPM

JohnPM

Second Unit

• 273 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 11:28 AM

But does 20th Fox, as original US distributor, retain any of the negative materials from the Hammer films they released? I'm thinking specifically of "Dracula, Prince Of Darkness", as that was one that I recall was problematic for Anchor Bay.

http://greenbriarpic...s.blogspot.com/

#18 of 55 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 12:35 PM

didn't Fox also released QUAERMASS AND THE PIT as well?

#19 of 55 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 27 2006 - 01:09 PM

Mr. Phillips!!!
Quote:
That DRACULA double feature is readily available on the shelves of every Borders in Las Vegas. I just saw it again yesterday.

Really?! I haven't been able to find it anywhere, and I've been looking all over. I'll send you the money if you'll buy it for me, plus whatever. Email or PM me.

#20 of 55 Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted March 28 2006 - 06:37 AM

FOX did release QUATERMASS IN THE PIT aka (FIVE MILLION YEARS TO EARTH)in the US
We now need a remastered/restored ANAMORPHIC edition of this title
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow