What's new

How far away from home are you? (1 Viewer)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Specifically, how far from the high school you graduated from. After nearly 30 years I'm only two blocks away from mine yet I hardly see anyone else that I grew up with. Even my family members have moved out of town, or passed away. So how far did you go? 2000 miles or two blocks like me?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Let's see. I graduated from High School nearly 18 years ago. After college I ended up buying a house about a quarter mile from my high school/elementary school and about a half mile from my parents' where I grew up.

Now my son attends the same elementary I did and even has had some of the same teachers. And some of his classmates' parents are those who I went to school with.

I guess I didn't get too far geographically. :)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
According to this website, high school was* about 4929 miles away. That still was 364 miles from me hometown.

(*) it was burt down 2 years ago.

--
H

Jim_F

Screenwriter
About twice as far now than then. It was about a 6-7 mile bus ride into the belly of Detroit then.

StephenA

Screenwriter
About 3 or 4 blocks away. All the schools I went to except for preschool are within a mile from me.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I'm about 5 miles from where I graduated high school and 3,800 miles from where I went to elementary & middle schools (Air Force brat). I'll be moving soon and then I'll be about 105 miles from my high school but I'll live about 10 miles from all my immediate family & their families.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
569.48 miles. Mapquest says 9 hours and 9 minutes but I make the drive in closer to 8.

I've seriously considered moving back several times (at least to St. Louis anyway which would be about 30 miles away). I'm still close with a friend I met in 2nd grade and a couple of friends from junior high, as well as a cousin who I played with as soon as I could walk.

I go visit them several times a year and always hate leaving. I've had very few friends since I moved down here and none that lasted very long.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
When I graduated, my high school was two blocks away. I could see it from my bedroom. Now, 39 years later, I still live in the same house but the high school moved to the outskirts of town. About, I guess, 2.5 miles from me now.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The reason I chose high school is you have no say in where you were born or where your parents move to as you grow up. But once you graduate, the decisions are all yours. College, armed forces, job transfers, hop on a bus and get off when the money runs out or just stay where you are. And a place like the Bay Area is a perfect example. So many people from different parts of the country (and the world) it's amazing how far they have gone. And what they must have left behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks