Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Static shuts down of my Onkyo!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 KevinWEL

KevinWEL

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 09:52 AM

Has anyone ever heard of a static discharge severely affecting a receiver? I have the Onkyo TX-SR601 receiver and in the winter when it is dry and the static is "flying" from my fingers I have a problem. I didn't thing much of it at first but this is the 3rd or 4th time this has happened now. I walk over to get a remote, dvd, tape etc. from my component rack and a blue spark hits from my finger to the metal rack and shuts off the volume of the Onkyo. I have to shut the receiver down and turn it on again to get the sound back. Is this going to hurt my equipment? Is there an easy fix? I never had this problem before with other components.
Blade Runner Voted the best Sci-Fi movie ever made.
Finally in Blu-ray to fit my budget
My DVD List

#2 of 3 DougR

DougR

Second Unit

• 354 posts

Posted March 25 2006 - 01:00 AM

Don't know if it has to do with the 601 ( I have the 602) and have the same problem. The dryness in my house creates a Static build up( sometimes a Humifier helps). When I get off the couch to shut things down,I'll try to touch a metal object in the room,usually my Audio Rack, to discharge the static spark. But mine would shut down too, before I started doing the above.

#3 of 3 Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted March 25 2006 - 03:09 AM

Yes, static can harm solid state components. Thru the case or the rack is less likely but its not something that I'd want to happen on a regular basis. Simplest solution is to find something to ground yourself on before touching the equipment. Better, but more complicated is to prevent it by bringing the humidity up in the house with a humidifier.
I am not young enough to know everything. -Oscar Wilde-