Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about... The Mel Brooks Collection

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
263 replies to this topic

#1 of 264 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,598 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 08:33 AM

Its always nice when something totally positive can offset the negative.

Shortly after I examined Capote, Fox's new Mel Brooks Collection arrived, and it immediately helped rid our office of the somber note left by Capote detritus.

I've always thought of Mr. Brooks as one of the funniest humans on earth, and this collection of his work, which I've previewed, checking each disc for quality reaffirms my thoughts. I now just need to find the time to re-visit each and every one of them.

There are a number of strange occurrences here. A number of the Fox logos look odd, but that may be Brooks humor. Hitchcock was known to mess about with logos. I don't recall those on the Brooks films from their original releases, but they must be as they were. I had simply never noticed it.

A sticker on the packaging announces: "Includes 5 HUGE HITS from Mel Brooks NEVER AVAILABLE BEFORE ON DVD! (We mean never!)

Of the eight films in the set, four are new to DVD.

And yes, this is funny.

High Anxiety, Robin Hood: Men in Tights, Silent Movie, and To Be or Not to Be.

Four others are re-issued or upgraded - all are in anamorphic widescreen.

Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles (on loan from WB), The Twelve Chairs, and History of the World: Part I.

Each of these films is beautifully transferred from the finest available elements, and each is worth the price of admission, which at street price works out to $8.75 per title.

The other thing that I like very much about this release, and which surprised me, is the packaging.

The eight films are each in their own clear slimpack, with double-sided cover. Each with its own interior bit of design.

Having looked forward to each new Mel Brooks film The Producers in 1968, this set allows me to not only bask in the glow of Mr. Brooks in-your-face humor, but also to dispose of laser discs and to be able to view these little comedic treasures in higher quality.

Just looking at the titles makes me smile.

The Mel Brooks Collection from Fox Home Video is of very high quality, has been thoughtfully produced by people at Fox who obviously love film, has been QC'd by a human, and...

Comes Extremely Highly Recommended!

If we were in November or December, this might well be the Christmas gift of the year.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#2 of 264 OFFLINE   Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

• 1,825 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 08:45 AM

I'm getting my s**tload of dimes together to buy this right now! Posted Image

Great to hear a final confirmation from a reliable source that HOTW and YF are anamorphic now. I cannot wait to get this set.
My DVD, Blu-Ray and HD DVD Collection @ DVDSpot

#3 of 264 OFFLINE   Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill

Producer

• 5,535 posts
  • LocationDFW

Posted March 24 2006 - 09:19 AM

Those who are tardy to this thread do not get fruit cup.

- Steve

#4 of 264 OFFLINE   Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 09:28 AM

Is the Blazing Saddles disc in this set in anyway an upgrade from the previous Warner Brothers DVD?

#5 of 264 OFFLINE   Justin W

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator

• 156 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 09:48 AM

is there any word on whether these titles will be available individually?

#6 of 264 OFFLINE   Will Ryan

Will Ryan

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 11:22 AM

++++The Mel Brooks Collection from Fox Home Video is of very high quality, has been thoughtfully produced by people at Fox who obviously love film, has been QC's by a human, and...+++++

Spoken like a good Fox employee

#7 of 264 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,598 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 11:49 AM

Long commute.

RAH

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#8 of 264 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 12:14 PM

I'm sold! Time to do a price search, I love "Silent Movie" and really want an Anamorphic "Yng Frankenstein."

#9 of 264 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 12:51 PM

I want two of these I don't own, and already own 3 of the others, so whether they are improved transfers will be a deciding factor in whether I spring for this or wait for the individual titles later.
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#10 of 264 OFFLINE   jonathan_govols

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 01:00 PM

I guess I'll be wating EVEN LONGER for Robin Hood Men In Tights to be released individually. That's the only one I care about.

#11 of 264 OFFLINE   Jon Baker

Jon Baker

Stunt Coordinator

• 237 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 01:41 PM

So each disc is in its own slimline keepcase? Are the covers going to feature the original poster art?

#12 of 264 OFFLINE   Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 02:27 PM

Excuse me while I whip this out! :b

My wallet is out and eagerly waiting the release date.

#13 of 264 ONLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,193 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2006 - 03:26 PM

And, remember, kids, be good to your folks - they've been good to you.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#14 of 264 OFFLINE   RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 03:38 PM

Robert, glad to hear this news. I wish they had released these separately, but of course they want to sell the sets first. I have been eagerly awaiting Silent Movie, which I think was one of Mel's best, and I love the John Morris musical score. Also, it will be nice to own High Anxiety.

The only problem I have with buying so many movies now (which I cut way down on) is the possibility of spending again on High Def. After VHS, laseridsc and dvd, I am tired of buying the same movies.

Classics on Blu-ray is what it is all about!

#15 of 264 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 03:45 PM

Its good to be the King

#16 of 264 OFFLINE   Random Hero

Random Hero

Second Unit

• 277 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 06:40 PM

Can't wait to pick this up. I hadn't bought the newer Blazing Saddles yet because I read it would be in this box set.

Steve, I slid in under the tag, so I get fruit cup! Posted Image

#17 of 264 OFFLINE   Larry Geller

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor

• 562 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 06:44 PM

Does YF still have all the extras from the old version?
Mmmm, snout!-Homer Simpson

#18 of 264 OFFLINE   Jeff D Han

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor

• 566 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 10:25 PM

Larry-

It looks like all the extras are carried over from the old letterboxed DVD- I read the specs at Amazon yesterday.

Unfortunately the commentary from the Robin Hood: Men In
Tights laserdisc isn't on the new DVD though.
Pretty please, with sugar on top,
clean the f**king car.

#19 of 264 OFFLINE   jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit

• 425 posts

Posted March 25 2006 - 12:21 AM

I didn't think Brooks was big on commentaries anyway. He actually makes fun of the people who listen to them on the new "Spaceballs" DVD.

#20 of 264 OFFLINE   Steve Christou

Steve Christou

Executive Producer

• 14,442 posts
  • LocationLondon, England

Posted March 25 2006 - 01:38 AM

[rant]What in the wide, wide world of sports is a-goin' on here? [/rant]

Taggart: I got it! I got it!

Hedley Lamarr: You do?

Taggart: We'll work up a "Number 6" on 'em.

Hedley Lamarr: "Number 6"? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one.

Taggart: Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks of course.

Hedley Lamarr: You spare the women?

Taggart: NAW. We rape the shit out of them at the Number 6 Dance later on.

Hedley Lamarr: Marvelous.

Dave hören... auf, wille stoppen sie Dave... stoppen sie Dave... Mein gehirn geht... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin gefühl es... Ich bin ängstlich Dave... Guter Nachmittag. Ich bin ein HAL 9000 computer. Ich wurde funktionsfähig am HAL-Betrieb in Urbana, Illinois auf January 12 1992.

Lord of the Hubs