Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where to buy new power outlets?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Jay_Via

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 02:46 AM

For a dedicated theater room, will your normal run of the mill Lowes/Home Depot outlets work, or is it best to buy outlets of a higher grade? Ive only got 4 outlets in the room, so i dont mind spending a little bit more than the .50 cent ones at the local Lowes. If it is better to buy different ones, where can i get them? Thanks Jason

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 02:55 AM

Solid connections and grounding should be all you're looking for and that should be doable with the cheapest of outlets. I've replaced a lot of them in my house because plugs just don't fit tightly, but as long as they're UL approved, I can't see an outlet making any difference.
I'm a ****ing idiot 'cause I can't make a lamp?
No, you're a genius 'cause you can't make a lamp.
What do you know about trigonometry?
I could care less about trigonometry.
Did you know without trigonometry there would be no engineering? Without lamps there'd be no light.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Jay_Via

Jay_Via

Stunt Coordinator

• 115 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 03:57 AM

thanks for the reply paul. I will have all new electric in the room (separate 20A circuit) and just wanted to double check. Thanks! Jason

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   chris_everett

chris_everett

Second Unit

• 403 posts

Posted March 24 2006 - 04:36 AM

Lowes (at least here) has two grades of "basic" outlets. I always buy the more expensive one, as the cheap ones seem to lose their "grip" on plugs over time.
--Chris Everett

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 15,072 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted April 28 2006 - 08:16 AM

If you are installing a 20AMP dedicated circuit get a 20AMP outlet to go with

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   John Titan

John Titan

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted April 28 2006 - 10:16 PM

Go to an electrical supply house (most sell to cash customers)and ask them for "SPEC" grade outlets. These are the better ones. Check HD and Lowes again I'm pretty sure I've purchased them there before.