Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

A few words about Narnia...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
61 replies to this topic

#1 of 62 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 02:22 PM

Gorgeous.

One of the best looking BV DVDs I've seen.

And the DTS soundtrack...inspiring.

Review coming soon!

-dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#2 of 62 OFFLINE   Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter

• 1,325 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 03:00 PM

I thought the movie sucked in the biggest way.

100% disappointment.

I never grew up with this story either - I've never known anything about it.

All i can say is the feel and the look is CHEAP and fake. Totally ruined the movie for me. The story was crap. The ending was a let down. It's like it tried to be epic but failed miserably.

Not to mention some of the acting was brutal...

Mike

Warner Bros. Blu-ray Reviewer
Anchor Bay/Starz Entertainment Blu-ray Reviewer

THX/ISF Professional Video Calibrator
HIGHEST FIDELITY CALIBRATIONS

#3 of 62 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 03:15 PM

Posted Image
I've got my own Toto

#4 of 62 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,075 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 22 2006 - 03:16 PM

Haven't seen it yet, but will be giving the DVD a look.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#5 of 62 OFFLINE   Elijah Sullivan

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor

• 665 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 03:21 PM

I haven't seen it yet, either, but know the book and don't have high hopes. I'm surious, though. However, if you wanted this movie to be good, you probably wanted it to be His Dark Materials, which New Line is releasing next Christmas (2007). Apprarently in England it outsold LotR in paperback!

#6 of 62 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 30,178 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 22 2006 - 03:50 PM

Quote:
The story was crap.

Michael: Are you familiar with the books?! Or, are you saying the screenplay was crap?

I haven't seen the movie either (it was a huge miss for me at the theater), but am looking forward to the DVD in the next week or so. The books in the Narnia series will always number among my favorites. Most reviews of the film were kind to it.

David: Can't wait to hear what you've got to say!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#7 of 62 OFFLINE   Mark-P

Mark-P

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts
  • LocationCamas, WA

Posted March 22 2006 - 04:26 PM

Pee-yew! Anyone else smell that thread fart?

#8 of 62 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 04:30 PM

Quote:
All i can say is the feel and the look is CHEAP and fake. Totally ruined the movie for me. The story was crap. The ending was a let down. It's like it tried to be epic but failed miserably.
Wow...I disagree with every single one of those points, but hey. To each his own, right?

Now, back to our regularly scheduled program, I am interested in hearing more about the DVD (transfer quality, audio, etc.)

#9 of 62 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 04:45 PM

IMO, the movie was *great* (though not perfect, of course). Just loved it, and thrilled to review it!

dave Posted Image

#10 of 62 OFFLINE   Jack _Webster

Jack _Webster

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 04:57 PM

If the A/V is really good, then I'll buy it. I really liked the movie, but was gonna settle for a rental with Buena Vista's track record of sucky video. If that's not the case, then I'm all over it. Posted Image

#11 of 62 OFFLINE   JeremySt

JeremySt

Screenwriter

• 1,775 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 05:22 PM

WHOA. Keira....

Focus....

Sorry to possibly offend, but Michael, as a reviewer, you should know, doesnt your post belong in the MOVIES forum, and not here? This is a thread about the A/V quality of the DVD, and not a review of the movie.

#12 of 62 OFFLINE   Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,676 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted March 22 2006 - 06:24 PM

Pee-yew! Anyone else smell that thread fart?

Not really. This isn't called the "Narnia lovefest" thread after all. Speaking of which, isn't:

A few words about...

Copyrighted by Robert Harris? Posted Image

Haven't seen the film, but based on reviews and watercooler talk I have a bad feeling.
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#13 of 62 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,304 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 22 2006 - 10:01 PM

Good to hear about the A/V.

As a HUGE fan of the novels, the film did a great job of targeting the same primary age group (8-10 years old) that the novels did, yet can be enjoyed by adults who approach the film with the understanding that they are *not* the main intended spectator. Much like the 2003 Peter Pan (which is actually a better film), Narnia is the type of film that will either delight or frustrate, and I personally believe it depends largely on what one wants to get out of the film. I think it's fine that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but for what it is trying to to do - be an escapist fantasy yarn for 8-10 year olds with the inclusion of a blanket morality parable - it is quite accomplished.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#14 of 62 OFFLINE   Brett_M

Brett_M

Screenwriter

• 1,333 posts
  • LocationMos Eisley Spaceport

Posted March 22 2006 - 10:59 PM

Great news re: AV.

Can't wait to see this again on April 1st here in Brighton--free kid's film festival, parents pay a buck.

Then, I'll buy the SE DVD and enjoy it with my kids in the comfort of my HT.
Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it meant to roast in the depths of the Sloar that day I can tell you.

#15 of 62 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,688 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 01:00 AM

Quote:
I thought the movie sucked in the biggest way...........etc.

Wow.....strong words for a film that I thought was fantastic! The best film I saw in the theatres this past Christmas season (That includes King Kong). The fact that the kids were played by complete unknowns was quite refreshing and added to the charm of this film. It's no Lord of The Rings, but it certainly stands on it's own.

I look forward to the DVD (2-Disc) as well as the upcoming sequel.Posted Image

Bring on the review David.Posted Image
Recently watched- Die Hard 2: Die Harder, Die Hard, Up 3D, The Grandmaster, Edge Of Tomorrow 3D, The Comedy Of Terrors, The Raven(1963), Mulholland Falls, Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2, Star Trek: Season 1

"Now I have a machinegun.  HO-HO-HO"

#16 of 62 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 01:10 AM

Quote:
Not really. This isn't called the "Narnia lovefest" thread after all.

Um, no, but it is a thread about the Narnia DVD, not a thread discussing the merits of the movie, which would happen, shockingly enough, in the Movies forum.

Michael Osadciw's post was a thread crap, pure and simple. Any member of this board ought to know better, especially one that's a reviewer.

BTW, this post is not meant to squelch anyone's viewpoint of the film, as I thought there was room for improvement in terms of character development, etc. However, there is a place for such discussions, and it is the Movies forum. Otherwise, I would be thread crapping all over any and all Fantastic Four threads here in the HT Software - Film and Documentary forum.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#17 of 62 OFFLINE   Arnie G

Arnie G

Supporting Actor

• 662 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 01:21 AM

I agreePosted Image
I've got my own Toto

#18 of 62 OFFLINE   DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 02:35 AM

Paul is correct.

There's always some leniency as it's hard to make a cut-and-dry separation when talking about the "DVD" that avoids making any comments about the movie itself (and members shouldn't have to squelch their enthusiasm for fear of infraction)...but anything in the way of a critique of the film's merits...whether for or against...belongs in the movie's forum.

Not to mention the common courtesy of avoiding needless negative remarks in a thread obviously geared towards fans of a particular film. Maybe Michael was having a bad day...

Posted Image

#19 of 62 OFFLINE   TheBat

TheBat

Producer

• 3,021 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 03:22 AM

I found a review for narnia over at dvdtown:
http://www.dvdtown.c....th/18104/3558/

I only saw the movie once. I enjoyed it.. more so then the harry potter movies.. going into another world.. my favorite is the silver chair. I cann't wait for that one.
which is the third book.

JACOB

#20 of 62 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted March 23 2006 - 03:58 AM

Quote:
which is the third book.

"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader".

Can't wait for the DVD. This film and "King Kong" both transported me to another world which is all I could really ask for.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow