• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 vitoF

vitoF

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 02:33 AM

I have a Yamaha HTR 5830 A/V receiver. 550 total watt, 110W per channel. A friend of mine gave me a 5.1 speaker system. 150 total watt, 50W sub, 20W satelites. Will I blow out these speakers if I connect them to my receiver?

#2 of 8 DavidSGT

DavidSGT

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 08:04 PM

Hiya,

Simple answer No, but if it makes you feel better take it slow first with the volume/gain control

Regards.
David

#3 of 8 orestes

orestes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 05:33 AM

I guess I have a similar question since I have 100w satellite speakers and 100w center speaker, and 100w sub. I am planning to buy one of those Pioneer Elite receivers which outputs 140w per channel, but I am afraid to blow out the speaks.

I know that someone already said that it is not a problem, but I would love to hear a technical a reason why it will not blow out the speakers, and what I need to do to keep my speaker within a save volume audio range.

Thanks,
orestes

#4 of 8 mylan

mylan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 06:23 AM

You will not blow the speakers using a 140W receiver. Speakers are usually rated conservatively and can take much more than they are rated just as long as it is clean power. Also the receiver will not output 140W at all times.
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#5 of 8 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 06:26 AM

because the high frequency content in most music is really not that high. However, if the amplifier is driven into distortion, high frequency elements added to the signal-- which mean that a lot more power must be dissipated by the tweeter. Many tweeters can't handle anything beyond 10 watts, or so..

Few speakers (the exceptions are active) are rated in terms of watts. Some are accompanied by "recommended power" ratings, but these are often wide ranging. Sensitivity is a bit more important. A 93 db/W speaker simply does not require as many watts as a 84 db/W speaker.

On another note, I sense that perhaps you're trying to recycle old HTiB speakers with a brand spanking new receiver. You might get better results if you went with "moderately priced receiver + moderately priced speakers", rather than with "expensive receiver + old, recycled speakers". Try to audition both before slapping down that credit card.

#6 of 8 Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 06:27 AM

My understanding is that speakers are most readily damaged by driving an amplifier into "clipping", which means turning the volume up so high that the amp goes into severe distortion.

The reason you are less likely to blow your speakers is because a higher powered amp is less likely to be driven to the clipping point as it will deliver plenty of clean power that will satisfy your volume needs before going into clipping.

With a lower powered amp you are more tempted to turn up the volume into clipping levels.

#7 of 8 orestes

orestes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for all those explanations. BTW, my original set up was a Denon AVR-3300 with Energy Take-5 speakers and Engergy sub, all rated as 100w speakers, and I don't think they are old. I am planning to replace my 3300 Denon with a Pioneer Elite unit which outputs 130w per channel. At this moment, I got no receiver at home for the 3300 Denon is in a repair shop, but I am seriously thinking of a replacement.

Thanks again.

Regards,
orestes

#8 of 8 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 09:42 AM

ah, sorry.

You could ask energy. However, they define Maximum Power as
Quote:
Maximum Power rating is a measurement of how much clean power a speaker can accept, over a long period of time, without sustaining damage.

with the Take 5s having a "maximum power handling" of 100W. Sensitive little things. You could opt not to 'crank it up". I'm not sure why SPL levels greater than 107 db (88db/W sensitivity, 100 Watts, 8 ft speaker distance) would be necessary...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users