Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Criterion Press Release: June Titles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,572 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 09:08 AM

DAZED AND CONFUSED
America, 1976. The last day of school. Bongs blaze, bell-bottoms ring, and rock and roll rocks. Among the best teen films ever made, Richard Linklater¹s Dazed and Confused eavesdrops on a group of seniors-to-be and incoming freshmen. A launching pad for a number of future stars, Linklater¹s first studio effort also features endlessly quotable dialogue and a blasting, stadium-ready soundtrack. Sidestepping nostalgia, Dazed and Confused is less about ³the best years of our lives² than the boredom, angst, and excitement of teenagers waiting . . . for something to happen

Deluxe Double-Disc Set Features
€ New high-definition digital transfer
€ Audio commentary by director Richard Linklater
€ Making ³Dazed,² a 50-minute documentary by filmmaker Kahane Corn
€ Tons of rare on-set interviews and behind-the-scenes footage featuring cast and crew
€ Audition footage and deleted scenes
€ A huge booklet featuring new essays by Chuck Klosterman, Kent Jones, and Jim DeRogatis, plus the original, collectible poster

Cat: CC1634D
UPC: 7-15515-01842-3
ISBN: 1-55940-982-7
SRP: $39.95
Prebook date: 5/2/06
Street date: 6/6/06

À NOS AMOURS
With his raw style of filmmaking, Maurice Pialat has been called the John Cassavetes of French cinema, and the scorching À nos amours is one of his greatest achievements. In a revelatory film debut, the dynamic, fresh-faced Sandrine Bonnaire plays Suzanne, a sixteen-year-old Parisian who embarks on a sexual rampage in an effort to separate herself from her overbearing, beloved father (played with astonishing magnetism by Pialat himself), ineffectual mother, and brutish brother. A tender character study that can erupt in startling violence, À nos amours is one of the high-water marks of eighties French cinema.

Double-Disc Set Features
€ New, restored high-definition digital transfer
€ The Human Eye, a documentary on the film
€ New video interviews with filmmakers Catherine Breillat and Jean-Pierre Gorin
€ Booklet featuring essays by Molly Haskell and Kent Jones and interviews with Pialat and cinematographer Jacques Loiseleux

Cat: CC1635D
UPC: 7-15515-01852-2
ISBN: 1-55940-983-5
Prebook date: 5/2/06
Street date: 6/6/06

MONTEREY POP
**Now available for the first time as a single disc!**
On a beautiful June weekend in 1967, at the height of the Summer of Love, the first and only Monterey International Pop Festival roared forward, capturing a decade¹s spirit and ushering in a new era of rock and roll. Monterey would launch the careers of Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, and Otis Redding, but they were just a few among a wildly diverse cast that included Simon and Garfunkel, the Mamas and the Papas, the Who, Hugh Masekela, and the extraordinary Ravi Shankar. With his characteristic vérité style, D. A. Pennebaker got it all, immortalizing moments that have become legend: Pete Townshend destroying his guitar, Jimi Hendrix burning his. The Criterion Collection is proud to present this timeless document of a landmark event.

Special Features
€ New high-definition digital transfer, supervised by filmmaker D. A. Pennebaker
€ New 5.1 mix by legendary recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in Dolby Digital and DTS
€ Audio commentary by Pennebaker and festival producer Lou Adler
€ Video interview with Adler and Pennebaker
€ Original theatrical trailer and radio spots
€ Monterey Pop scrapbook

Cat: CC1623D
UPC: 7-15515-01732-9
ISBN: 1-55940-971-1
SRP: $29.95
Prebook date: 5/9/06
Street date: 6/13/06

JIMI PLAYS MONTEREY/SHAKE! OTIS AT MONTEREY
**Now available for the first time as a single disc!**
Jimi Hendrix and Otis Redding arrived at California¹s Monterey International Pop Festival virtually unknown. Returning stateside from London, where he had moved to launch his musical career, Hendrix exploded onstage, flooring an unsuspecting audience with his maniacal six-string pyrotechnics. Redding, a venerable star of Memphis¹s Stax record label, seduced the ³love crowd² in one of his best‹and last‹shows. Jimi Plays Monterey and Shake! Otis at Monterey, acclaimed documentarian D. A. Pennebaker¹s Monterey Pop companion pieces, feature the entire sets by these legendary musicians, performances that have entered rock and roll mythology.

Special Features
€ New high-definition digital transfers, supervised by D. A. Pennebaker
€ New 5.1 mix by legendary recording engineer Eddie Kramer, presented in Dolby Digital and DTS
€ Audio commentaries by music critics and historians Charles Shaar Murray and Peter Guralnick
€ Interview with Phil Walden, Otis Redding¹s manager from 1959 to 1967
€ New essay by David Fricke

Cat: CC1624D
UPC: 7-15515-01742-8
ISBN: 1-55940-972-X
SRP: $29.95
Prebook date: 5/9/06
Street date: 6/13/06

EQUINOX
Before he took you to a galaxy far, far away, before he brought you face-to-face with living, breathing prehistoric beasts, Dennis Muren, the future eight-time Oscar-winning visual effects artist (Star Wars, Jurassic Park), created an homage to the creature features of yore in the eerie monster mash Equinox. Deep within the woods and canyons of California, four teenagers happen upon an ancient book containing the secrets of a strange, malevolent world that coexists with that of mankind. This $6,500-budget wonder was picked up for distribution by producer Jack H. Harris (The Blob), who shot new footage for the film with writer-director Jack Woods. Since its 1970 release, Equinox has gained a passionate cult following and inspired succeeding generations of horror/fantasy filmmakers.

Double-Disc Set Features
· Two films, for the first time on DVD: original, never-released The EquinoxŠa Journey into the Supernatural, and the 1970 Jack H. Harris theatrical release, Equinox.
· Audio commentaries by the filmmakers, including writer-director Jack Woods and effects photographer-producer-director Dennis Muren
· Deleted scenes and outtakes from the original 1967 version
· The Magic Treasure, a rare animated fairy tale by David Allen
· Acclaimed Kong commercial by Allen for Volkswagen, including test footage
· Zorgon: The H-Bomb Beast from Hell (1972), a short film featuring Equinox cast and crew
· Extensive gallery featuring rare stills and promotional material
· Trailer and radio spots

Cat: EQU020
UPC: 0-37429-19542-0
ISBN: 0-78002-885-6
Prebook date: 5/16/06
Street date: 6/20/06

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 09:16 AM

DAZED & CONFUSED is a definate. The current Universal remaster really sucked. NOW this is how to make a COLLECTOR'S EDITION! I'm glad Universal is licensing to Criterion still. How about Soderberg's KING OF THE HILL? Is BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN headed to be a Criterion?

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,573 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 09:30 AM

I'm very pleased to finally see Equinox getting a DVD release. The fact that it's a Criterion release is icing on the already delicious cake.

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Stone

Matt Stone

Lead Actor

• 9,070 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 09:51 AM

Great news on Dazed and Confused. I'll definitely triple dip on this.
In Heaven, everything is fine.
[ 2006 Films | 2005 Films | 2004 Films | 2003 Films | YMDB Top 20 ]
[ Star Wars | Sideshow | HT | DVDs | LDs | AIM: Maulrat87 ]

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 10:25 AM

Great News on Equinox and love that its fully loaded!!

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   JiM T

JiM T

Stunt Coordinator

• 213 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 04:45 PM

Awright, I'm in for both "Dazed and Confused" (even though I've only seen it once and didn't particularly like it that much) and "Equinox" (which I've never seen, but it just sounds so cool with those extras...). Geez, what a total pushover I am.

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   Rob Willey

Rob Willey

Screenwriter

• 1,179 posts

Posted March 20 2006 - 06:09 PM

Wow, my first quadruple dip (counting the VHS) for Dazed and Confused.

Rob
"That suits me down to the ground."

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 02:34 AM

Overall, rather paltry June announcements. Is Image changing Criterions ?
Ken

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 880 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 02:34 AM

Overall, rather paltry June announcements. Is Image changing Criterions ?
Ken

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   Matt Harrison

Matt Harrison

Stunt Coordinator

• 222 posts

Posted March 21 2006 - 10:44 AM

Definatley buying Dazed and Confused again.

Thats what I love about these criterion releases man. I buy the rubbish editions then criterion releases the good version. Yes they do...

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   Russell G

Russell G

Executive Producer

• 10,036 posts
  • LocationDeadmonton

Posted March 22 2006 - 04:48 AM

Is there actually anything new on the Montery Pop discs? I was planning on picking up the box set.

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner

Supporting Actor

• 790 posts

Posted March 22 2006 - 08:57 AM

I'd rather want to know when they start releasing HD discs. I'm done with DVD.

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Grady Reid

Grady Reid

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 01:22 PM

Anyone seen Criterion's coming soon section lately? Dazed and Confused and Equinox are no longer listed. Something happen?

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   PaulP

PaulP

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted April 01 2006 - 02:35 PM

Quote:
I'd rather want to know when they start releasing HD discs. I'm done with DVD.

I wonder how soon you'll be done with HD discs, since they're technically obsolete now, before a single disc is sold. There are several newer technologies already invented that trump HD-DVD/Blu-ray discs hands down.